petpous

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Summer solstice title.PNG Hi, so I finished the demo for my current project Summer Solstice about guess what? The Summer Solstice. During last years festival Summer (the main character) 's best friend Spencer got attacked by a demon and now he is possessed and trying to stop you the player from completing the rituals. The rituals take the form of minigames which all have unique game mechanics. There are also random encounter battles and boss fights. The player also gets to explore 5 areas.
I really need feedback for this game though because this project is for my EPQ (extended project qualification) for my A levels and I really want to include user feedback in the project. On the itch.io page where you can download it there is a survey which I have linked for you to complete after you play it.
There are about 3 hours of gameplay and all the graphics are drawn by me
So you playing the game you can have fun and you can also improve some random person's A level grades haha.
Here are some screenshots of the mini-games:
Tutorial1.pngTutorial7.PNGtutorial11.PNGtutorial14.PNG

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I play around and see if I can feedback you ;)

for quick run, 1 npc blocked my path so I was to late to hide,
than the game crashed.

as you skip title and buttons are probably image based (evented title),
the image flicker, you can easely solve this with galve imagecache to load them.
so it wont flicker.

the alarm clock hit harder than you are, even the "normal" attack is stonger
than your skill, so not really balanced. but the firstfew maps are maybe quickly,
the way it drawed and placed, you can walk "outside" of this, and does not stay
within it.

the game puzzle might be nice, but if you make custom maps like the rooms, try
to make them within the 48x48 if you dont change the size or stay within those
size, to it looks better.

concept is nice, but not for me really.

Last edited:

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I offer this initial feedback because I'd like to help you get a better grade. :)
I only played for 20-30 minutes, but I'll give it another shot soon.
First thought-why is the game greater than 1gb in size?

Title Page-
Selected item is the one that's dimmed/greyed, which doesn't seem intuitive
Can select 'continue' even when there are no saved games to load

Prologue
The earth is at it's maximum tilt
should be its

Inconsistent punctuation
Wow.
Literally don't care Jimbo
?should end with a period?

After fire is lit, Everyone shouts
Horay!
should be Hooray!

I'm confused. What happened to Spencer? Did the demon attack him? He's still alive, though? (This question does get answered a bit later in the game)

hammar should be spelled hammer

Exiting rooms/buildings can be frustrating. Maybe add an arrow to the tile to make it clear where the person is supposed to exit?

Yoga-when you approach the red haired student, the image changes to the purple hat student

Exiting the arcade puts you in some type of weird auto movement route and then you get stuck and can only turn in place, can't actually move to another tile. Soft lock.
The cartoonish artwork actually started to grow on me. I really like all of Summer's facial expressions during battle.

As I said, I'll revisit this game over the next few days and try to get farther.

petpous

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I offer this initial feedback because I'd like to help you get a better grade. :)
I only played for 20-30 minutes, but I'll give it another shot soon.
First thought-why is the game greater than 1gb in size?

Title Page-
Selected item is the one that's dimmed/greyed, which doesn't seem intuitive
Can select 'continue' even when there are no saved games to load

Prologue
The earth is at it's maximum tilt
should be its

Inconsistent punctuation
Wow.
Literally don't care Jimbo
?should end with a period?

After fire is lit, Everyone shouts
Horay!
should be Hooray!

I'm confused. What happened to Spencer? Did the demon attack him? He's still alive, though? (This question does get answered a bit later in the game)

hammar should be spelled hammer

Exiting rooms/buildings can be frustrating. Maybe add an arrow to the tile to make it clear where the person is supposed to exit?

Yoga-when you approach the red haired student, the image changes to the purple hat student

Exiting the arcade puts you in some type of weird auto movement route and then you get stuck and can only turn in place, can't actually move to another tile. Soft lock.
The cartoonish artwork actually started to grow on me. I really like all of Summer's facial expressions during battle.

As I said, I'll revisit this game over the next few days and try to get farther.
I'm actually not sure why the game is so big, maybe something to do with all the graphics and plugins it uses. Is it just me who has an issue with the export only using files used in the game? When I do that it causes a lot of issues and sometimes it gets rid of files that are actually used.
The title screen I can definitely fix, it was just a last minute addition and it will be much improved by the final game
Thanks for the grammar fixes (my bug tester has English as their second language so I didn't get help with that haha)
Everything about Spencer will be explained in the final scene of the game (the final final game) You are meant to be confused because Summer is a bit confused too. I'm going to add more detail and visual to the intro for the final game
Also I agree the exits are not the best rn because of the custom tileset. I feel like I've got better now at making the graphics so they might get a redo tbh because I'm not happy with it either
The red haired student is just simply forgetting direction fix to be turned on I think and I know nothing about an auto movement route in the arcade or plaza area but I will test it out. The arcade has been causing the most bugs tbh

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
checking unused files gives only problems, and should be done manually,
some make a plugin that has @require img/tileset/filename of each files
used, in character, animation, pictures etc to make sure it wont be deleted.

others make tilesets compleetly empty (like I do), than add them for what I use.
I get rid of all other files as well, only the necessarry stays for the time being.

that way, you wont get any errors, so unused dont have to be checked either.
there is a tool that does a better job, but manually or by plugin of the actually
used files is the best way to go.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I always end up having issues with things i'd never expect.

Capture.PNG

Those friggin mountains man xD
Time for my daily walk/jog ''Literally starts raining while I open the door''
I just discovered there's a giant jellyfish in the Ace RTP. My day is made.
I'm pretty sure I submitted a username change like 4 months ago.
No offense but uh, still waiting for my name to be updated :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozfolo