TRADE Summongard - a game to learn Japanese - Level 1, Hiragana

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi. Welcome to my thread. It's a pleasure to have you here. Thank you for being interested in my idea.
Let's make something awesome!
In exchange for your work I'll work with you on your project, please read the next paragraph.

What I have to give in exchange: I make tilesets and maps, I write (but you'll need proofreading), I make full-sized Design Documents with original gameplay ideas for RPGs.

Engine: RPG Maker MZ

Synopsis:
This is a game for learning Japanese. I think I first came with this idea a long time ago.

Last year, I published a demo of the game called Summon High on Itch.io (as Ondine Games) and (as red ribbon) on Steam Workshop (not actually as a commercial game), but I took them down some days ago (I'll upload the demo somewhere else more private so if you're interested in the idea, you can check it out). I want to do it better this time around.

The idea for the game is that some JRPG players are interested in the Japanese language by watching anime and, of course, playing video games.
Have you ever played a game in Japanese and have wished the language could become a little more understandable/ didactic? Like... if you just had a decent guide with basic language instructions you could totally get unstuck from the point you've been walking "in circles" for the last two months and finally advance the plot.
This was the idea that sparked my interest in teaching Japanese this way.

The gameplay has different areas to learn different elements. Like advancing in a map with the shape of a Kanji (Japanese writing characters), learning mnemonics for that same Kanji, recalling mnemonics in battle as a spell, entering a Game World (inside the game itself) where you can talk in Japanese of growing difficulty with the characters, etc.

The game is set in a sort of magi-tech futuristic school.
For the "Reality" half of the game's graphic style, I was thinking of Persona 3, actually; but with less creepypasta, and with more cool school.
For the "Fantasy" part of the game's graphics style, I was thinking of Greed Island (Hunter x Hunter), but without the drama and the gore. So basically, we would take the pacific part of each of those works. I'm not OK with gore, much less in a teaching game.

By the way, my Japanese level at the moment is JLPT N5, so I'm a beginner, but I know the basics pretty well.

Positions/Roles Needed:

Event Programmer
Coder
Charset Animator
Battle Sprite Animator
Enemy Designer
Tileset Designer
Icon Designer
Musician
English Proofreaders
Others (I'm sure I'm missing something)

My Role(s)/Position(s):

Gameplay and Level Designer
Mapper
Writer

Thank you for reading through that and I'll edit this post as soon as I upload the Demo somewhere else. =)

Old Demo

Any questions from you guys?

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds similar to another game I saw on Steam. Think it was called Learn Japanese To Survive, or something like that.

I hope you find someone who is interested in working with you. :)

NFreeze

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Other
I would be interested in contributing to this project.

There is already a game on Steam called "Learn Japanese to Survive" and there is also a follow up to that game. The first game teaches you hiragana and the second one kanji. I played it some, but got disinterested, because the Gameplay is very awful and not fun.

Maybe i can help to create a better game. :D

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would be interested in contributing to this project.

There is already a game on Steam called "Learn Japanese to Survive" and there is also a follow up to that game. The first game teaches you hiragana and the second one kanji. I played it some, but got disinterested, because the Gameplay is very awful and not fun.

Maybe i can help to create a better game. :D

Hi. Thank you so much for replying.
I'm sure you can help me make a better game. But also keep in mind that I want to make something different from that Steam game.
In which roles would you like to contribute?

NFreeze

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Other
The roles coder or event programmer would be most suitable for me, since i have some programming experience.

Avelon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hey, are you still looking for people? I would be interested in being an English proofreader or a musician (I can compose music). I think this idea sounds great as someone who's been interested in learning Japanese in the past but was too confused to start.

Last edited:

FallenVixen

The Fox Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This project sounds interesting! If you're still looking for people i wouldn't mind working as an english proof reader or anything relating to art and design overall, such as backgrounds or character/enemy concepts.
I've been looking to learn Japanese for quite a while now so i think it seems promising.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sales Goal of Learn RPG Maker MV at 64% now! :kaopride:
When I was in the hospital I did actually have a nurse that was funny, did all these extra nice things for me and said she liked me. So you know what that means. That will be the last time I'll hear from her.
Anyone here ever confronted a never-ending loading screen? Took me 3 hours to realize the problem was the font format :yswt:
Ah, the problems a noob runs into...
WOOHOO!! FIXED A MAJOR SHOP PROBLEM I HAD FOR MONTHS, WHAT A WAY TO END MY STAY-CATION!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TdublinB571