Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

~  Summoning a return  ~

- Game Synopsis -

--Fight monsters to gain their essence to summon a creature that upon defeat, will allow you to return home.--

Because of circumstances like being sick for the period of time I took off for this project and still trying to recover, I wasn't able to complete all the mechanics I had hoped to so this is a compressed version of what I had hoped to accomplish. This resulted in potentially awkward pacing as I wasn't able to add the depth between battles I had hoped or much progression beyond your own learning of the combat/mechanics/strategies. Though I've still ended up satisfied with what this is and I'm excited to use the combat mechanics I played with in this in future projects, if you'd like a more complete experience with additional replayability/depth through skill gain progression and more advanced enemy AI, you can check this previous project here.
I hope you enjoy what was completed though :)

- Media -

- Game Content -

Spoiler

--- Dynamic combat -
- skills that evolve based on various circumstances.

--- Final boss -
- An exciting boss battle if you can survive the journey to summon it.

--- Important Notes -
- Upon defeating the enemy there is no result for victory-I barely managed to get this uploaded minutes ago so I didn't have time to add any completion condition/event.
Additionally I didn't have time to clean up some art/make a fancy main menu/make some menus consistent, etc. Hopefully it doesn't impede the intended experience though.

- An important mechanic is that your Stamina acts as a barrier to protect your health, this recovers after every battle.

- Game Download -

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried to play your game, but couldn't get very far because I had no idea what was happening and couldn't heal.  The idea is nice, but I think this game seriously suffers from 'use-all-the-plugins-itis'.  You don't have to use everything, and it would have been better if you hadn't as a lot of the things just added unnecessary complexity (fancy item and equipment menu scenes aren't needed if there are no items or equipment in the game).  I'm not sure what you did to the tiles, but I wasn't a fan of the look.

The battles were not fun for me.  It's not a self-explanatory system, which means I had no idea what was going on.  The skills were complex, but their descriptions didn't make sense to me so I don't exactly know what they do.  The enemies didn't do much damage to me, but without a way to heal I was up a creek without a paddle after a few fights.  

Overall, I couldn't have much fun with this game.  An explanation for how battles work is really needed, as well as a way to heal.  I see that you ran out of time to do everything you wanted, so hopefully you'll keep working on this to improve it.

SwiftIllusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@hiddenone
Thanks a lot for the feedback, regrettably a lot of that was a result of how little time I was able to put forward to it, resulting in various unnecessary plugins I didn't have time to remove, not having time to customize the menu to remove things like the item section which wasn't necessary for the gameplay, or being able to have a smoother entry into the mechanics with an initial tutorial.
Additionally one necessary plugin removed the visibility of 'mp loss' (stamina) showing up when receiving that form of damage and though I was able to customize some plugins I can't read javascript enough to work out why that's not showing up. I was also writing the description for this topic with minutes left so regrettably I didn't get to explain a lot of that and feared editing afterwards would cancel the projects validity-when though I didn't get as much time as I wanted to put forward for it I spent a lot of energy working on it and had taken time off work for it, so I wanted it to at least be valid.
There's intentionally no means of 'healing', however your stamina replenishes after each battle, the overall goal is to try and limit what damage reaches your health across the span of the battles necessary to summon the boss, to be as ready as possible for the final battle.

Though I'm frustrated to again end up in a position where I have to write off a project submission as a learning experience, I sincerely appreciate your effort to try out the project and I'll be definitely taking the systems I did manage to use and learn in this project forward into others in a more refined manner.
Thanks for trying it out :)!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?
My friend just gave me chocolate milk at lunch today! My day is now 1000x better. Yay, choco milky!! :kaojoy:
RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dopeboy01