EustaceWard

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
SunCarrot is a game I'm making with RPG Maker MV.

I originally started it, as a thing for my son, William - who is five, and the hero of the game.

I'm doing all tiles and sprites to look like they were drawn the way a child would, I like the aesthetic. It's neat.

The character busts are more fancy.

There are cat monsters. And puzzles. And mazes.

There is a short opening sequence, voice acted by William and his older brother (who is seven). That is just done through MV with sprites and text with audio overlay, but I'm considering doing a 2D-animated cut scene instead, maybe a few animated cut scenes throughout, we'll see.

Storywise, it seems at first that it's just a series of adventures suited for a child - You lose a tooth and rescue a tooth faerie who whisks you off to a magic city. You go for a bath and travel down into a maze of mossy drain pipes to hunt for treasure. You craft a submarine to explore the lava depths of a volcano in an underground cave. And other adventures like that. But as you do your adventures, you learn that it's not as random as it seems and everything is connected.

Screen Shots:

62RhQkB.png

ppgcwkm.png

qPtATUY.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Wookiee420

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really enjoy the look you are going for, and pulling off, especially the bust. I do have one bit of constructive criticism though, the font just kills everything, its so fun and entertaining and then that font is so rigid and boring. Also, imma stalk your progress, no thats not me out your window......

IamGilgamesh

Game Developer - Rapper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm intrigued to know more.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Really cool concept, seems right up my alley! I really like the contrast between the character portraits and the game world.

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
The art is simply different, so cartoonish, I love it. I agree with @Wookiee420 with the font mismacht respecting the rest o f the graphics. But probably this is a very early stage of the process and you already thought about it. 

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Loving this! It's nice to see a fresh project like this one!

Izeck

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 This looks so awesome.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
This is a really NEAT family project!

Flogic

Amateur Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's hard to articulate exactly why the contrasting art style of the world vs. the character portraits works so well, but it just does.

Really interesting aesthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynks

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
This looks really cool! I love the contrast between the different styles for the characters

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@jupitersdaughterWill you be plugging your font at every new game in production you'll see?

Huh? I don't make fonts? I don't even know how to do so. . .

And I think this is the only game I've ever suggested a font to only because the default one looks odd with the art style. That font was just an example of the a style that might match the game's art better. There is no need to be so hostile.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Sorry just saw you doing the same plug to two game one after another!  :p   So naturally, I presumed!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Apparently MZ lets you preview move routes in the move route editor without having to start up test game. That could save a lot of time during development compared to MV, especially for a long game that uses a lot of event movement for cutscenes.
A repost of an old meme I had made, now with music

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOLLARTA