Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Synopsis:

You and your best friend visit the small, humble town of Sundew as part of a vacation. You're there to investigate the seven mysteries of the town and it seems like a nice enough place. What could go wrong?

-

This borrows the same engine I've been using for my main project, The Dark Heart, but I've modified it a little bit. Turn-based combat with Zelda-like exploration.

This takes place in the same established universe as my main work as well, but everything that happens here is more or less self contained. It's a look into how the world is like beyond the main heroes.

More details down in the Characters segment.

This was originally made for the No Travel Game Jam, but I've since kept working on it to make it the best it can be. You can expect this be at least an hour and a half long.

EDIT: The Omega Cut is the most complete version of the game there will be for the forseeable future - everything I've wanted to put in is in.

(There is some slight cursing, by the way. Johnny says the S-word like four times.)

Features:

Features marked with a ★ are in the game, while ♢ is what I want to patch in to make this a more complete experience.

★ Four playable characters
★ Cutscene skip
★ Being able to change the characters outfits with costumes, although this only affects battle
★ A dungeon
★ Quirky dialogue & humor to add levity to the game
★ Enemies on the overworld, no random battles
★ A bestiary that lets you see detailed stats about every monster in the game, even what species they are or where they're located
★ Two Superbosses
★ Being able to actually use weapons on the overworld, although they're used for puzzles
★ Dungeon keys you collect are added to the HUD so you don't lose track of them
★ You fully heal every time you level up
★ Autosave
★ Regenerating MP for every character and limited item stack (aka. only 2 of this game's Megalixir at a time, etc.)
★ A Materia system
★ Quick-Swap. Pressing Q when you have more than one party member will automatically switch the characters around without having to go into the team-setup.
★ An interesting twist on the New Game Plus concept

And that's about it.

Screenshots:

Characters:

* Johnny Lucerne - A massive dork that, despite his unassuming appearance, is a skilled fighter and a lover of hand-to-hand combat. He and his partner run a service where they go around and collect rare and lost items, often selling them back to other adventurers who need them.

* Freyja Duskell - An extremely experienced catgirl witch who can copy the powers of her enemies by observing them, ala. the Blue Mage from Final Fantasy. Despite her tough and cold exterior, she's a big sweetheart and will always fight for what's right even if she wants a little compensation from time to time.

* Madeline Richtel - A young dog girl nun who's apprenticing at her local church. Despite her gentle appearance, her heart's full of adventure and she's willing to fight even if she's scared. Her prime motive is to protect the people she loves.

* Latona - The head priestess of the church in Sundew and Madeline's mentor. She is responsible for watching over the safety of the town due to being a senior magical girl, being a legendary hero back in her heyday. Now though, she's more concerned about being Maddy's teacher than anything else.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Johnny and Freyja are just shopkeepers my main project. They are also both extremely skilled and wind up with large movesets to emphasize this.

Sundew Nightmare is one of their misadventures, as they play a minor (but extremely helpful) role in my main project.

Current Staff:

Only me.

I did enlist the help of the wonderful Jaxcheese for some music, even though it wasn't made exactly for this project.

You can find more details in the resource credit notepad file that comes with the game.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...

THE GAME!

Here is the dropbox link. (Version 10)

BUGFIXING
-

If anything crashes or acts Not Fine please tell me immediately, because due to the amount of crunch I was under, I couldn't 100% polish everything like I could my other game.

Yet to be changed:
- Some animation resizing stuff

FIXED as of version 1:
- Missing portraits
- Missing sounds
- Incorrect door paths

FIXED as of version 2:
- Being able to walk where you shouldn't
- Cutscene softlocks
- Completely revamped a physics puzzle

FIXED as of version 3:
- Added in the costumes, finally
- More softlocks
- Fixed a formula that crashed the game

FIXED as of version 4:
- Balanced the game more
- Added in a superboss
- Fixed some miscellaneous glitches
- Removed ABS aspect since it didn't really help the experience
- Added cutscene skip

FIXED as of version 5:
- Fixed the superboss
- Hookshot petrification softlock fixed
- Even more balance fixing

FIXED as of version 6:

- Fixed the weapon shop lady not having her first conversation with you
- Added two entire new areas, as well as a bonus superweapon
- Added in the rest of the Seven Wonders, since that was missing from the original game.

FIXED as of version 7:

- Fixed more tileset oddities
- You gain skills as the game progresses as opposed to simply getting them all at once
- Tweaked the final boss's defenses to better fit the game's playstyle
- Mid-game boss nerf
- Cleaned up some dialogue

FIXED as of version 8:

- Added more content, changed the color palette of the final dungeon
- Overhauled some cutscenes & modified sequences
- Added a new ability for a character
- Added in a new secret superboss
- Some music alterations
- Changed the actual name of the file so people know it's Sundew Nightmare and not some other no travel game jam entry (late, I know)

FIXED as of version 9 - the Omega Cut:

- Added a brand new playable character & costumes
- Tweaked some abilities & general gameplay fixes
- Added a retry when you die functionality for bosses
- Made it so you can continue from a save file after you beat the game
- The bulk of this new update was that I added in a New Game Plus mode with... interesting properties, such as removing the tutorials from the game on a carried-over file

FIXED as of version 10 - the Omega Cut:

- Fixed more bugs
- Revamped the ghost chase
- Added a death counter that ticks down the more you bump into said ghost
- Made Freyja less ornery

Last edited:

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks neat! Downloading.

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh right I forgot to mention something important for those with weak nerves: there is a jumpscare somewhere in the game.

That's all I'll say.

(Expect the new content to come soon btw.)

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Huh interesting overall, even tho I just fail with that combat system (outside battle). The music is good, but what got my attention is the UI sound effects, the best so far I've heard in this game jam (including my game and the default SE's ofc). I got this error tho, on many things (a door, going north and in battle): (Fixed)

Review:

Impression:

Oh boy, where do I start. The story is interesting, seems to be in a modern setup with magic. Even tho the game is not what I usually like to see in RPG maker games (medieval fantasy) it did have me playing the game multiple times. Something about it reminds me of an interesting version of Harry Potter combined with some anime, something like magi to a degree. The UI sounds are by far the best ones in this game jam and the music fits well and is enjoyable (and that comes from someone who loves death metal and classical music). The game has a lot of content to offer, so I hope whoever reads this will give it a shot.

Gameplay:
Combat
- The overworld battle is not for me. With that said, I just charge at enemies to engage in the old fashion combat, which is what I prefer. Only once did I have the need to switch from Johnny's Aura Blade to a different skill, which is ok in my opinion (You can play around with Freyja's spells, but Aura Blade op xD)
Story - I'll break it in segments while not revealing too much. 1-Johnny and Frayja come to visit the town, 2-Call the ghostbusters and rick grimes, 3-It was the butler, obviously, 4-Zelda says hi, 5-Defeat the boss and explore around.
Bug/Glitch - Well I found a lot of them, but the creator kept his/her cool and fixed everyday a bit until I've reached the end. As I said, there is a lot of stuff going on in this game, and the deadline made everyone rush, ofc there will be some bugs.

Other:
The visuals, sounds, music and effects are great in my opinion, but then again, my favorite tileset is still the default one (You shouldn't take my opinion on visuals serious). The conversation flow with the npc's and the investigations were just fun to read.
I find the world building interesting, if not unique to some degree (at least in this game jam).
The amount of stuff might be too much for someone who starts to play for the first time with plugin etc (half of the stuff clicked with me on the second go). That's about it. Give the game a shot, it's good.

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Huh interesting overall, even tho I just fail with that combat system (outside battle). The music is good, but what got my attention is the UI sound effects, the best so far I've heard in this game jam (including my game and the default SE's ofc). I got this error tho, on many things (a door, going north and in battle): View attachment 142095
Thank you for the compliment <3

I feel sound design is one of the most important parts of any video game, so I took time to make my own sound effects. They're used across all my projects.

That said, thank you for bringing that up. I was actually going to add a post about a fatal mistake I forgot to correct - when you get to the one dungeon of the game, make sure to save as I forgot to add a troop event that lets you disable an otherwise invincible enemy. @FleshToDust this applies to you too.

As it is right now, please use Johnny's "Blaster" attack to bypass the "Protoype Blocker" enemy, as that's the one I'm talking about. I'll make sure to correct this as quick as I can for anybody else who wants to play.

Edit: as well as several incorrect door paths, oops. :kaocry:

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
CRITICAL UPDATE:

I have updated the download with a version that removes the game-breaking incorrect paths and that one enemy's been fixed. Blaster is no longer required or recommended to bypass it.

Unfortunately for those of you who have already started playing, you have to re-download the game. To preserve your progress, copy the saves from the old version and put them into the new version's game directory. This is the only way to preserve your progress, since the edits were event-based and nothing fundamental. (@Zliryu & @FleshToDust )

This is not the patch with new content, since that will take quite a bit more time to include.

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Alright then, let's check it out :)

Edit: Alright, made it way further this time around. Played from the beginning again, I like the madeline cutscene, really good work on that.

I also found a few things here and there: (Fixed)

1. Doesn't break the game as it pops out a few times, but the immersion

2. This scene was great, but I think that you don't want people walking on two tiles of the table.

3. Unfortunately, this is where the game stops for me. The characters are waiting for something, maybe an autorun event, since they can't move while the ghost swirls around (also appears sometimes randomly before this event where a doll wakes us up).

Gotta say, the mansion/investigation part is awesome.

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zliryu Thanks for finding these bugs for me, dude. Ah, glitch-hunting, the most frustrating part of testing any game. :rswt

You are correct to assume the problem was caused by the autorun event, since, uh... I forgot to add the part that makes it stop. The ghost in that room is also not coded the same as the other rooms, so whoops.

Thankfully there is nothing useful in there, since the rest of the mansion is where you need to go.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! :LZScheeze:

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey npnp If you fix it by tomorrow, I'll give it a go again. Fixed a few bugs in my own game and now I have to work on my ue4 project a bit. I'll drop in tomorrow again.

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zliryu Thanks for helping, but you'd have to re-download the game again. I had to revamp a pretty major physics puzzle so the game can actually play correctly.

I should stress that you don't need to play from the beginning every time: as long as you copy-paste the saves over from the version you're currently playing to the newest version, you should be able to pick up from where you last saved.

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nice nice, you fixed that part where I got stuck last time and the table tiles. I'm sure you took care of the missing SE too, but this time I continued my saved file. Got three things again :D (I probably go on your nerves by-now xD but I like to touch/explore things in rm games)

1. How the hell do I stop using the wall-e boi, the robot? I played piano on my keyboard and it didn't do anything. Space also shoots lasers (the "manual" says enter/z, not rly important, but maybe the release was on space?)

2. Ok, this part didn't stop me and might be due to me using my save file from an earlier version, but I think it shoots twice, no gloves on us event and gloves on us event (in that order), since I picked them up earlier while investigating everyone. The game just continues, but I was like "what, did I pick up some other gloves then?...but I already took the item out of the t-seat"

3. This crashed the game while in battle with "brainsuckers" that drop down.
(Fixed)

I guess I'm near the end of the game, judging by the story so far. I really like it and would like to complete it.

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zliryu It's alright, dude. As long as we keep purging bugs, I'm happy cause it helps improve the experience for everyone else.

#1: Are you talking about starting the event and not stopping? Did it softlock because you tried to step on the switch and couldn't? Because if so, I think I fixed it.

#2: Funny story. I had made it so you could get the gloves before the event required it, to give the player a way to break the sequence if they knew about it already. But I outright forgot to edit the sequence itself. Now I did.

#3: ... Yeesh, you could tell I was in a rush by the end.

That said, I updated the game again... not only to fix the glitches, but I also went and added the extra costumes, as well as other things. If you go into the fashion store, you can change the characters appearances for combat.

I still haven't put in the rest of the bonus content I was planning to, since it requires more planning.

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sweet. Downloading again.
1.Yeah, tried to step on them too. Good good.
2.Nice
3.Hehe yeah the rush is real xD

If I complete the game this time around, I'll edit my first comment into one of those 300 word review and link it in the submissions, if not, well, I'll edit this comment with whatever bugs/glitches/etc i find.

Edit:
Alright, seems I found some stuff again. (Fixed)

1. Robot can't pass here, but I think he is supposed to. You should really look into this whole part since it breaks a lot (when you get the controls back and step with the characters on the right arrow it freezes, or the camera doesn't pan back to the robot on trap etc)

2.When you get "Rockblocked" (hahah) I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do, but I switched over to maddy and equipped "Push" into the T slot, when the hotkey is pressed, I get this and it doesn't push the rock. She does say something about kinetic energy and a hammer, but I've looked through her skill set.

3.In the room with the rock. I killed that guy outside of battle with maddy's laser beam, he just switched to following me constantly and to this battle anyway. Not sure if that's something you intentionally setup or not, since I've done it for the first time like this (usually I charge at them)

4.I'm pretty sure I have to use the grappling hook to get to that small island with Johnny, but it doesn't reach (from below).

5.Are my companions supposed to jump around like frogs all the times? They started doing so just before entering this wonder-thingy, on the cutscene.

This time I've included a save file if you want to see. Basically can't go anywhere from here. On the left, robotblock, up grappleblock and on the right rockblock. All the blocks :D

Save file: Save08

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention it. When I get those "missing" error messages it kills the fullscreen. Not sure if you can do something about it tho, but then again, there shouldn't be missing files.

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for providing the save file because I have to keep nuking the ones I use so I can post the game.

In order:

#1: I severely underestimated how necessary the "through flag" is for stuff like this.

#2: The Push function is to prevent being crowded into a corner by enemies because of another RPG Maker game I saw, where the monster trapped my favorite streamer into a corner and he couldn't escape.

What you're actually supposed to do is complete the robot puzzle so you can get the hammer so you can get through here, but since it was originally messed up... yeah.

#3: Yeah, that's intentional. The way it's set up is that despite whatever the message says on the overworld, you can't really kill them on the overworld. To actually get rid of them, you have to kill them in turn-based combat. Think of it more like an aggro system or a staggering system.

#4: Thoroughly fixed that, now you can actually like... get there and back.

#5: ... Ok funny story. To get the extra cinematic flair for the cutscene with [spoiler character], I set it so the followers don't chase behind you. I never corrected that, but the game still needs them to follow you, so Falcao's ABS makes them jump behind you.

For your save file I added functions to the doors that make the characters chase you again, but it's also been added to the cutscene proper.

I took the time to play the rest of the dungeon and it should not crash anymore. (Man, whether you like the guys at Nintendo or not, it takes a lot of effort and planning to make a good Zelda dungeon...)

EDIT: @Zliryu Since you were such a good sport, I've added you to the credits due to your service as a beta tester. Your sacrifice will not go unappreciated. :kaopride:

Last edited:

Zliryu

Ryu
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh sweet. Yeah, nintendo did always have a balance in their dungeons/caves, be it zelda, metroid or mario. Haha well thanks, but I wouldn't call it sacrifice, it was fun. Now let me see if I can complete it this time around :)

Edit: Done! Completed the game haha but I did find some stuff. One major (random as f) issue and a few minor things.

1. See where I grappled to? I was stuck there, the complanions didn't move after we got attacked by the mob there. I don't know what broke them but it ended up freezing me after the grapple. I tried to recreate this bug, but no luck (that's why I wrote 'random as f'), second time around it just went on normally.
errormsg9.png

2. These are just minor things:
-Soda machine in the guild missing sound
1588851853677.png
-The guild music remains playing even when I leave (not sure if that's intentional)
-You can't walk on the parking place next to the motel
-There seems to be a character in the church that you can pass through and not interact with it in the middle of the way (looks like the bride).
-Graveyard, Milo's house. He can see me but his sprite isn't there (a message pops but the dude isn't there)
-I guess you set up Chroma to do nothing after 7-8 turns? Might be random, she just stood there and took it all xD not a bad thing rly, since she did good damage (Reflect, aura blade, steam and heal were the spells/skills that I used for her)
-There is a shiny thing between two grave that I noticed on my 1st playthrough and I want it xD jk tried to collect it now after completing the game, still can't take it (just tell me what it is, if it's even something you can pick up by doing something :D)
-Can't go to North or East after the game is done. (You could copy the maps and remove all events, lock the doors with some random message, just to give players the ability to revisit every major area, if you feel like it i mean)

Thanks for the credit :) gonna edit the first comment into a review now.

Last edited:

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
BIG UPDATE:

I have removed the ABS aspect of the game.

Enemies on the overworld will only chase you now, and while you can still use tools and weapons on the overworld, they are only used for puzzles. This goes as far as affecting my other projects too, since it's the same foundation. I dunno, something about the two styles of combat didn't mesh so I'm keeping it 100% turn based from now on.

Also, I did some more light bugfixing and even went as far as adding in a new area and a secret boss encounter.

I even included a cutscene skip function where if you press X while a cutscene is running, you get a Yes or No prompt asking you if you want to skip.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lot of updates... Are there any more big changes planned or is the demo what we can expect from the finished game?

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lot of updates... Are there any more big changes planned or is the demo what we can expect from the finished game?
I plan to add more extra things, but if you're asking if the game is finished, it is.

Its not a demo, what you're getting is the whole game.

I just had to do a lot of bug testing and adjusting due to being a bit of a perfectionist, and that's pretty much over since the real bad glitches have been rooted out.

Last edited:

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played this for about 45 minutes (up until the end of the wine poisoning scene, until I got to the save statue afterwards). I get the sense that there's still a lot more of this game left to play but I've played enough to form an opinion and I think it'd be the same even if I played to the end.

The amount of time, effort and enthusiasm poured into this project is clear, you've made something very big, complicated and involved. I would guess that a lot of hours went into this. I understand that some elements are borrowed/modified from your other project, but even just eventing all the cutscenes must have been a considerable effort. I don't want to minimise your efforts, I absolutely believe you worked incredibly hard, which is why I feel bad delivering my main critique;

More isn't always better

This game has a lot. A lot of everything. A lot of skills, items, menu options, characters, cutscenes, mechanics, keybinds, just honestly a huge amount. You say it's at least an hour and a half long, I believe you. The thing is, for a game jam, I think most people are expecting pretty short, straight forward games. Personally, I'm trying to play as many entries for the jam as I can, and I'd rather play three 20 minute games than a single hour long game. For this sort of thing, less really is more. I would prefer to strip out as many mechanics as possible and focus on one thing specifically. I'm looking for short stories, but this feels more like chapter 10 in book 3 of a sprawling fantasy novel series.

More specifically, the number of items, skills and skill categories is just confusing. You say the system is adapted from your longer project. In that project do you start lower level and gradually unlock more skills? I notice that you start at level 30 & 50 in this game, and I think that's probably why you have so many starting skills. It's really a lot to take in at once.

That's really my main takeaway, I felt overwhelmed by all of the mechanics in the game. Again, I don't want you to be dispirited because you're clearly passionate, and I think you can do great things with that passion.

I've got some other points, and more positive ones too! I liked the portraits, I have never seen any like these before, but they look very cute. I haven't seen the parallax reflection on water done in RPG Maker before and it's a cool effect. The smaller animations used out of combat are well done. There were a lot of pieces of music in the game that I enjoyed. The in-combat animations look good and the damage pops are generally pretty clear and satisfying. The combat art for the zombies/enemies is also good, the HP/MP meters are especially cute.

I particularly liked the title screen. Maybe because I've just finished playing A Summer's End - Hong Kong 1986 which put me very much in the mood for synthwave. The purply image and the music are both excellent (although there's some visible compression artifacting in the image). The title text jars a little, but the title also feels evocative of that kind of 80s style. I was a little disappointed that the game itself didn't seem to feature this style.

Some very minor points:
  • The installer is called "No Travel Game Jam.exe", which is confusing when you have half a dozen no travel game jam entries in the same folder!!
  • The title kind of reminds me of Stardew Valley, which is unfortunate because I don't think there's any particular resemblance. I thought at first it might be an homage
  • I couldn't fullscreen the game. I noticed this with another RMVXA game I played. Is it just a limitation of the engine? It looks tiny on my monitor and I was getting an eye strain playing it

RCXDan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks so much for telling me your thoughts. I'm infinitely grateful that you gave me your honest opinion.

More isn't always better
There it is, the thing I was fearing someone would say.:kaodes:

I think after a certain point I realized I had exceeded "game jam entry" and had just made "a game" to show off, hence the extreme length.

My main concern became "as long as I provide a quality experience I'm not bothered if people think it's too long."

That and "is the writing good" because that's actually my forte and the part that carries between projects.

That said, my ambition was clearly unchecked. If we have another jam, I'm definitely scaling back and making a much smaller game.

You say the system is adapted from your longer project. In that project do you start lower level and gradually unlock more skills? I notice that you start at level 30 & 50 in this game, and I think that's probably why you have so many starting skills. It's really a lot to take in at once.
You start at level 1 in my main project. Its absolutely meant to be a longer game where you gain skills at a more natural pace.

The HP/MP meters are especially cute.
Good cause I drew em myself :kaopride:

Everything else was made via Gaia Online's character creator, hence why it looks so different from other games.

• I couldn't fullscreen the game. I noticed this with another RMVXA game I played. Is it just a limitation of the engine? It looks tiny on my monitor and I was getting an eye strain playing it
Apparently you have to press Alt + Enter to fullscreen VX Ace. It's weird.

Seriously though thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Anti-Bear Circle ---

F.Fighter: Shoot! that Bear is really stronger than i expected!
Hero: Don't worry,i perform this (Draw The Big Circle On The Ground)
F.Fighter: What are you doing?
Hero: It's Anti-Bear Circle. the Bear will never attacking u---
(The Bear attacking Hero F.Fighter)
Hey guys!I didn't remember to put here but here is a new page from my devlog focused on my new trailer of Luke Inn! Hope you guys enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilithme