Sunken Spire [Game Released]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Indrah, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh. My brain should not have gone there.

2. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sadness.  Repeating dialogue.  I cannot break out of it.

[​IMG]

I'll go back to my latest save and hope I can avoid his conversation.  I was careful to read through all the bugs, I must have missed this one.

3. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Jar ghost, you son of a cute.

Bonkers likes this.
  4. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hmm yes :( Dalph I know reported that one over Skype and not in the thread. If you don't talk to him, he won't break your game. Jar ghost is such a troll! D<

Hopefully we will be releasing the patched version on Friday. We're waiting to see if any other bug errors pop up, but Rach has been fixing them as they get reported. Man, I wish we had set aside more time for testing. :/ I mean, I never spoke to the Jar Ghost - I didn't need his hints to solve the puzzles pft So I'm really not shocked by that one.

Since you probably haven't been opening spoilers, palladinthug, I will warn you now - don't beat the superboss at the Lake until we patch the game Friday.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    Bonkers likes this.
  5. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the tip. I've managed to play some more yesterday. Liking the look and mapping inside the tower. I think enemy battlers are really well drawn too. The only thing I wish random encounters weren't so frequent. At times I only just walk the length of a hallway and get hit by another one.

6. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Poor jar ghost is so terrifyed, he just wants you to stay with him there, away from the danger...foreeeever @-@

(die you sonova bug)

Bonkers and Makio-Kuta like this.
  7. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    Yay, can't wait for the patch :) I forgot to mention, is it possible to compile all the tutorial text and be able to access it from your inventory or menu? There's a lot of information presented in the beginning and I'd like to be able to refer to it. For example, I can't remember how many times debuffs stack on enemies, so it would be helpful if the player had something to refer to.

And secondly, will there be a use for all the Ooze food rendered useless after you have fully leveled his forms? I can't sell the things (I tried, although to be fair, no shopkeeper would wanna buy that!) so I wondered if the form leveling would be spaced out more. Or if eating would give some tiny amount of XP. Or I could just simulate feeding the little guy
    @Matseb2611 - Have you found the item that halves enemy encounters? I can't remember where I found it though. I equipped that immediately!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  8. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unfortunately I haven't. I think it's the system of them happening always after a certain number of steps rather than more randomized (correct me if I am wrong), as indicated by that counter on the top right. I've seen that in another game and I really didn't like how it worked. And most of them also seem to be impossible to escape. A lot of the time the entire enemy troop unleashes their whole barrage of attacks before any of my team gets a chance to take a turn (even with Agi boost accessory). I had times when 3 of my party members would get silenced after the first turn or two, making the battles a drag, because you lose a chance to use all your special abilities and those siren screams are too rare to find to spend on a single encounter.

It's a bit unfortunate really, because the game has a fantastic presentation, ranging from amazing art and mapping to really catchy music, and the different ways to upgrade each character is nice too (if a bit confusing at times), but the battles is definitely where the game needs some work because they are bringing the whole experience down. They're not exactly hard or anything (as 2.5 hours in I haven't been close to a wipe out at all), just way too frequent and drag on at times, and hence there's little incentive to go out and explore more.

9. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I agree. We need to make that stuff accessible at any point in the game. Either an ingame manual, or a txt file to go along with the game. ((I was going to write a txt file manual, but I was already working until 5 minutes after I should have been out the door for work haha))

hmm! I'm not sure. Ooze's leveling should probably be toned down a bit; he climbed over the others in levels pretty quickly! After we spend the needed month's time this game needs for proper balancing if it still seems like a lot of stuff left over for Ooze, I'll bring this up again. :)
    They can be bought at the town store too. I forget the exact cost, but they are not a bad price. Sounds like, you are on the fire floors? Based on the rounds of getting stunned and everyone getting silenced. (The electric squid things? I loved those fights haha)

I'm sure we'll be taking a closer look at the encounter rate as well when we rebalance.

Alkorri likes this.
  10. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, the fire floors is indeed where I am. I know there's a way to get back to town via a teleport stone, but would I be able to get back to where I was in the tower after that without having to do it all over again? I remember there were different types of gates, though I haven't really used any apart from the red ones, so not sure about the details of how they work. Speaking of which, I think the colouring of those gates should be a bit more obvious. You have to squint to really see what colour they are. Also, I don't think I actually found the shop in town. The whole place was a bit big. I remember an inn and some school that had a funny sign in the basement of what the students aren't allowed to have ( :p ) but I don't think I've actually come across the shop itself.

11. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

The first gate you went through at the base of the tower allows access to any floor you have been to, so feel free to leave at any time. The shop is in the building with two doors just to the east of the path the guards were blocking. A map of town is something we've discussed adding in the re-release. For now, I'll probably add a sign outside of the shop for the bug fix release.

Bonkers likes this.
  12. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was the one who squished all the items finds in there under 5 hours. I will SHAMELESSLY say I had no idea of what I was doing at all when it came to healing items '3'

The encouter halves I bleive is made by ooze. It may be a good idea to mak it a common accessory I suppose.

The shop is the big building with two doors in the main town screen. The shopkeep is beyond the counter in the back, wearing an apron.

(I totes forgoit to acutllay say OI THIS IS A SHOP somewhere on the sign)

13. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    Lemme help you out with that, Indrah.

[​IMG]

Perfection.

14. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    *wipes tear* beautiful

15. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

Ok, I just finished flooor 11 of the spire, and it's been about 1h45m... so I guess I can start my review, as promised in the other thread (I'll post a mini review there, but I guess all of the developers will read it here better).

So, if I have played for almost 2 hours this game, it is because I LIKE it. There's no point denying it: I love the graphic style, I like your writing, and I like the general gameplay... but there are also things I don't like. So it may seem like I focus on that, but don't just label me a hater, please :p

The first of the things I don't really like is combat. It's fun, BUT it's a bit boring. Alma is ridiculously overpowered, has lots of different skills that you can use over and over again, and after each combat you can choose which new ones you want to develop and is a total powerhouse that can do everything...

And then you have poor Elsa, stuck in I still don't know what her role is with that skill system ripped off directly from WoW (no point denying it either). She can do damage, but nothing compared to Alma. She can heal, but really, why? I don't get what's her point in combat. A physical striker? A support healer? An armored battle-healer?. I'll just summon the pretty ice lady and move on to Alma's next turn. And her skill buying mechanic is booooring... while Alma's one is so fast and different and... you get it :p

The Golem is nice because you can develop it as you want... but as combats last for 1 round and a half, he just uses the first skill on his list and nothing else. That's a bit meh :/ And he's so big that the combat screen is too cluttered with everybody together almost in the middle. I'd like that both sides were a bit more diferentiated.

And Ooze is a nice character, but I don't know what each shape does. I think the bird is the healer and the plant is the buffer... but he's not that useful :/ Actually the plant with the buff skill may be his best shape, as it makes combat even quicker :/

Out of combat, the characters (but the golem, of course) are just great. I didn't know any of them, but both Elsa and Alma are really well written. They have strong personalities, and it shows in her dialogues. Even Ooze is oozing personality (pun intended). You all did a great job with them.

BUT... I can't help but to get a little vibe of "gratuitous fanservice" here... Two strong female leads, from different worlds, together in a new adventure catered just for them... I keep wondering if the story is well written with these ladies... or if the story is well written BECAUSE of these ladies. My mary sue alarm is on the verge of going off :p

And last, about that spire that gives the name to the game... I have mixed feelings about it. The first 10 floors of it are random dungeons with random battles all over the place. I think of it as an artificial way to extend the game duration... one that was not needed. The initial dungeon was good (great way to introduce both characters and their powers), and the first forest was ok... but as soon as I got into the tower and read the sign... As I said, I kept playing, because it's interesting... but it's starting to get boring :/ Combat is too easy (and I'm almost level 30!), and repetitive... so I'll take a break. I'm sure I'll finish the game, of course... but later :p

So that's it. You did great, and your game is great, and I hope you read this and of course feel free to discuss or defend your game design choices. 

EDIT: I forgot to say something about the music. Although it's great, sometimes I felt as if there was no coherence in it. Suddenly it reminds me of a touhou game, then it goes to epic final fantasy style, then back to midi-like, then back to instruments. It was a bit weird :/

Oh, one last thing. I *think* I found some bugs... or at least some technical things I'd like to comment:

-the snake sprite in the forest has a little grey part inside the loop it does with its body, that I think should have been transparent

-the "sealed" ailment... does it end? I have had it casted on me by the electric squids and it just stood there forever. I had to end the combat "manually" with attacks, but I think that some turns passed and it didn't wear off. Is it supposed to work like that?

16. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Um...how is it that if the two mains are FEMALE (and little else) it's fanservice? If it was two main charactes beign male, would you say the same? Seems a bit of an odd comment to me. It's not like it's a feminist agenda or some "WOMEN Frick YEAH!" game. They jut happen t be female. It's not like they're like "WOMEN RULE ME DROOL HOO!", so I'm not sure of where you're going with this.

Also they're not from different worlds, not sure why you say that. They work for the same kingdom, and have been coworkers in different divisions for a long time. If you mean like "princess and knight" that's not correct either. Alma is a special ops agent and Elsa is a soldier. They're very much froma similar area, jsut different branches.

And I'll defend to the death that you don't really have seen real mary sues, because if there was one present I would kill it with fire.

The most fanservicey thing they ever do is break down a door and talk about having stablished relationships. I'm not sure what your deal with them is. Maybe you're just not used to female characters? Would they bother you doign the SAME THINGS if they were just male? Becuase honestly it'd be pretty easy to switch their genders and little to nothing would change about them or the story.

And if I come across as aggro its because this is the sort of comment that makes women pissed off. Because if you try to make female character there's alwasy the suspicion of mary sue, or "unrealistic" or some BS. And hoenstly I think your perception in this case is wrong.

But it's fine, it's YOUR perception. I merely disagree.

TL;DR: I disagree with that comment because if they were the EXACT SAME and just male I feel you would not have commented at all. Them being female is nothing that out of ordinary, and doesn't make it fanservice or mary sues.

Mihel, valkill101, Bukarett and 2 others like this.
  17. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    One of the things I like about Sunken Spire is that the two heroes are female and don't make a big deal about it. One is a Death Knight, the other a Magic Engineer. They are there to kick butt and take names. 

There is "fan service" in the sense that people who've played the previous games would appreciate all the cameos and nods, but I hardly see where anything is gratuitous.

18. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

Wait wait wait... don't get things out of context. I think you have both understood and misunderstood my comment completely at the same time. I'm NOT saying that about fanservice BECAUSE they're two female leads. I'm saying (as Alkorri has pointed in the next message) that I don't know if the story is built AROUND the characters or if they have just been thrown together into ti.

I know they are from different games, but I haven't played them, so I don't know if the characters knew each other, if they have any kind of stablished relationship between them, or if it's just "pick my character and your character and put them together to see what happens". By your flaming reaction, I guess it's nothing of the latter, so I'm really glad of it. Really, don't take my comment as an offense, because it's just an opinion: I was stating that I had that kind of a vibe... because I don't know the characters at all and I can't change that. And I guess I'm not the only one who hasn't played any of the previous games before, so it's just another possible point of view.

I'll just disregard you accusing me of chauvinism because really, you just misundertood me (and it's normal because neither of us has english as their first language. I could PM you in spanish if you want to discuss it further and to explain you what I really wanted to say).

Anyway, I want to apologize because I never intended neither to offend you or your game. It was just a remark. Sorry it got misunderstood.

And that's what I really meant: fan service for people who have played the previous games, who know the characters, and who would like to see these two girls paired. And again, I said two strong female leads because that's what they are! 

19. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Pick my character and your character and put them together to see what happens"

They are both characters created by me and fomar in previous games, who exist on the same country (not to speak of the same universe).

That aside, why would you think that INGAME that is strange? There is nothing odd or unusual about a game starting with two characters that have previous adventures (even if they don't come from a pre-made game) thrown together.

And boy was the fanservice comment the wrong thing to say, in the wrong context to say it. It's fine and all if it was a miscomunication, but just know that's exactly the sort of thign that will trigger conflicts. I'll just stop the conversation there and leave it alone.

20. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

---I'm just so happy people are enjoying this game! <3 <3

Mihel, Matseb2611, Volrath and 3 others like this.