Sunken Spire [Game Released]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Indrah, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Mrbum

Mrbum Villager Member

Incredible job in just one month! The non-linear progression of abilities is really cool, writing is solid, level design is great, music is amazing. Only had a few problems I noticed.

When attempting to leave the lab early, there is a typo- jsut should be just.
    Early after attaining Ooze, there is a typo /n[3], should be \n[3].

In the restaurant after the scene where they order and ooze eats everything, the BGM does not re-play until you leave the map. Only silence.

The cat that gives you the pink ribbon after getting the fertilizer gives you unlimited ribbons if you keep talking to it.

There is a clipping issue in Room 2 in the hotel. You can walk through the dresser and through the painting above it and get out of bounds.

Ooze gets to be a bit too OP in my opinion, he/she/it/they was 1-shotting normal enemies and 2-shotting bosses.

Going back the the map where Priscilla the cat was re-plays the event soft locking the game.

You can keep fighting the dragon in the tunnel over and over again, not sure if intended, appears to be a bug.

Odd clipping issue with the trees behind the tourism agency.

There is a cross on floor 26 of the spire that shows a red arrow when you get near, but you cannot activate it from any side.

Edgar gives you unlimited Family Emblems after you rescue all 20 people.

The NPC in the Hala Mountain Pond has a dialogue that is too long and doesn't fit on the screen. 

Character's head clips through the back right corner of the gazebo on Hala mt. peak.

After beating the boss on Hala mt. peak you cannot walk back down, you have to teleport, seems like a bug.

Attempting to run from bosses appears to soft lock the game.

Typo in Ezekiel's tutorial, her should be he.

The Ezekiel part is SOOOO boring compared to the action before hand (especially that first fight). Really needs to be re-worked imo.

Got a crash after beating *Spoiler* at the lake:

error.png

Other than those few small issues, I've been thoroughly impressed. You got my vote! 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  2. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

Thank you for the compliments and the bug report, Mrbum. A lot of them had already been addressed, but there were definitely a few nasties that had not (like the cat and running from bosses). I've fixed everything that was not balanced related, and they will be included in the fixed update later today.

3. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gotten through the ice sections. Nice slippery puzzles there. Now in the garden parts. This tower is truly huge. I am a bit curious about who this General Flippers is and why he decided to help us in most random encounters and even the boss fight. He is an interesting character from what I've seen so far.

Also, the dialogue with *spoiler* at the end of the ice sections seemed a bit strange and a bit too casual and laid back considering he *spoiler* *spoiler*.

Oh, also I've now found the mystic gem thingy that halves the encounters. Not sure at which point I picked it up, but when I saw it in the inventory, I instantly equipped it. Makes the random encounters a lot more bearable this way.

Anyways, I already left a mini-review and a score yesterday on that 'rate each game out of 5' topic and given the game a vote, but I'll continue playing till I get to the end.

4. Chaneque

Chaneque Prince of Strange Things Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Dunno if this is a bug or not, but I'm literally on the first floor and all of my characters except for the Golem have been sealed, and the seal won't wear off so I'm stuck and nothing will die. At all. This is just painful.

EDIT: Aaaaand I realize now I can escape.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  5. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kumori: Also Elsa should be pretty good at taking out most enemies with her regular attack when you are sealed. Seal is a pain though, I suggest buying the seal cure items from the store. Or, running from battles works too :>

I'll be editting the fact that you can escape from battles into the controls screen for today's patched release. That was an oversight.

@Matseb2611: I'm happy to hear you are still playing! ((Since you are getting close to it, in case you didn't see the previous glitch reports, when you reach Floor 27, the hint pot ghost is glitched. Here's what his hint is, if you get there before we put the patched version up later.

I think there used to be a pretty glass bridge
    leading to the exit, but those bullies broke it.

Maybe you could build it again?

Matseb2611 likes this.
  6. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

[​IMG]

As promised, we've uploaded an updated version today with fixes for all the bugs and the majority of the typos reported thus far. We also tweaked balancing a tiny bit, mostly in the way of exp and encounter rates, but nothing substantial. That will take many, many hours of testing and won't be out until the re-release. No longer will *spoiler* be an ungrateful *spoiler* after you finish that quest!

Save files should be transferable without any issues.

7. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Currently in the middle of playing your new patched version of the game. Will be editing this post as I go along.

Impressive intro, awesome art and sound track was immediately, hook, line and sinker. (reminds me of those classic old FF games). Character expressions were well done (great job Makio and friends [ ;) ] )

The Shift for sprint is AWESOME. (I'm pretty much never going to turn this button off. ever.)

The story is entertaining and I pretty much couldn't stop once I started.

Leading up to the 1st boss fight with the trail of antidotes was a good hint of what to expect. Though I did find the fight a little lackluster (Literally did : buff,buff, heal, ice slash x2, accidental press of attack button, win.) The difficulty for that fight could stand to be beefed up abit to make use of those collected antidotes. And especially since I realized I could pretty much ice slash twice to win o_o instead of panic buffing.

After that, I trudged along with Alma and Elsa in tow when suddenly random enemy encounter. XD I didn't see that one coming a mile away so I was a little taken aback at first since the previous enemies were the walk up to them and trigger the fight kind and had assumed that was how fights would be triggered. Now this feels more like the classic rpgs.

Now comes the 2nd boss fight, I'm in love with the soundtrack for this, it's kind of making me not want to end the fight while I type this out. Between selecting Dark and Sinister Monoliths, would probably want some kind of indicator in the background as to which you're attacking it was a guessing game at first.

Upon unlocking Oozie and a Golem thing, you can see game mechanics start to really expand, research here, develop there, buff the Ooze, deck out the golem etc.
    Possible bugs:

I'll shamefully admit I died to the 1st mob [ >_> ] ; Like a baws. Mainly cause I was just doing nothing but spamming deathtraps before going uhoh near the end and trying to regen and got myself killed like a durp. XD

So I was like, fine, clicks continue. Which brings me back to that room with the golem thing again. This time instead of engaging it head on I said 'No'. Upon clicking that the tutorial for how Alma researches stuff appears. After that I engaged in the battle, and proceeded to kick it's ass. Afterwhich, the same tutorial appeared again.

Aesthetics:
    The hand drawn and pixel art is gorgeous. Great attention has been paid to the little emotions/actions and thoughts of the characters.

Minor nitpick, when battle ends the gold, exp, lvl up bit, 'flashes by' in the sense the window keeps blinking itself open and close while displaying the results of the battle. It can be a little annoying/jarring as compared to a window that just doesn't animate during that sequence.

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I was about to save [ ;_; ] making it out of the forest... save corrupted when I was saving, my dog went and turned the PC off =A=!!!!  I'll restart >__> later... (cause omggg... the last time I saved was back waaaaaaay before one even met the slime >_______>)

Lol when I saw the game crash out while saving I thought it was a bug >__>.. until all the the other applications on my screen started blinking off one by one >_____>

At this point I'd say the game's weakest link is the battle system in the sense the major battles could afford to be maybe 50% more challenging.

Therefooooore from what I've played so far I'll give this a solid 8.5/10 (if you're not the developer reading this, stop, go to the front page, download and play. Right now.)
    Great job on the game, and wishing you the best of luck in the contest =D

Fomar0153 likes this.
  8. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    Oh no! D: Pets are cute, but then... then! Well they are still cute, but you get the point.

Balance is certainly the weakest link in this game, but that's what happens when all of the balancing is squashed into a period of time of less than 48 hours before the contest deadline haha In the end we found it better to err on the easy side rather than make the game too difficult to beat. ((Though, the final sequence of the game is a bit more challenging! As I've finally had the joy to experience))

We're planning on giving this a focus on balancing adjustments, now that we are at liberty to take the time to. But! I'm glad the game in its current form still has enough interesting stuff to be entertaining and fun!

You bring up a very good point about having an indicator on the enemies themselves. Though I can't recall any games further down the line having fights where the enemies names and appearances aren't more obvious, the monolith battle certainly can be confusing. I remember selecting the wrong one a lot in that battle - but for some reason that never translated into my head as 'this is something that could be improved!' So thanks for pointing that out.
    A few people have mentioned the confusion after the way the first few battles were activated compared to suddenly random encounters. Thinking it over - it truly is a misleading bit of design there. Fixing it should be as easy as adding a couple lines of character dialogue on the first map with random encounters. I guess we were hoping the encounter orb would be enough, but expecting all players to be familiar with that sort of system was a bit silly.

That chimera--- That chimera used to be much stronger... *has been murdered by that chimera many times* Again though, the game is going to be undergoing a lot of balance testing the next little bit. The biggest problem is that the characters ended up higher than the intended level - even after we've nuked the EXP two or three times.
    That does indeed sound like a bug when you say no to activating the alarm system. I'll leave that up to one of the peeps who are smarter with the program though.

Again, thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw so far :D (and glad you love the art~)

9. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes! YES! Finally beat Sunken Spire. The total playtime, excluding accidental AFKs: 12 hours.

I did some reloading and leveling with Alma's party in the Lake area because I didn't want to fight the trio in the tower yet. Instead I went back to challenge the Lake Guardian - battle was pleasingly tough but not as long as the first version where I had to get Elsa to chug a Recovery Incense nearly every round. (Thanks, Makio-Kuta!) You'll be happy to know that no crash happened, and I got the cutscene with no issues!

Now came the time to fight the Spire trio. I noticed they lasted a bit longer this time (my party was mostly Level 38/39) but I was still too OP for them. Ezekiel was undoubtedly holding back, ahem.

Next comes the Ezekiel section, where I was sure would be an epic endgame because I could never get past Ariachne because of her multiple stacks of poison.

At this point I have to admit that I unintentionally did you all a disservice. Remember in my first feedback when I asked you why the Ezekiel section was so tough? I found out it was because in the first version, it wasn't possible for me to level Ezekiel as the random encounter function had somehow been turned off. I wondered what was Dalph going on about when he kept mentioning random encounters and Ezekiel becoming a god!

So you can imagine here I was with the first version, Ezekiel stuck at Level 30, and having to painfully take on the Heavenly Ruler, the one with the Books, and only beating that last after guzzling some 50 Heal-All or Heal 2,000HP items. And running out of money for any more.

But now, yay! Random encounters came back on! Holy waffles, I could level Ezekiel up to Level 40... And it turned out that Dalph was right. I could easily carve through the rounds of bosses to endgame using only 5 Concentrated Aoife Essence. Thus some 120K gold went largely unspent.

Some other comments:

The Shield Bearer battler is exhibiting some strange behaviour. Attacking it or using spells would only deal some 10 to 40 HP worth of damage, and nothing is added to DP. Similarly it deals the same amount of damage with nothing added to DP. It got easier to just Escape each time to avoid tangling with it. Oddly, when loading another save game (after beating the game), things went back to normal: the Shield Bearer deals and receives normal damage from Zeke.

There is no more option to Guard?

Protection Prayer - The text says that it would give "5 stacks of Protect" but I don't see any icon next to Ezekiel's DP bar. Unsure if spell is working.

The Summon Gideon spell text says it requires 4 Death Runes, but I thought you could only have 2 at a time in battle? Is this because I could not yet afford Blood Fountain or Cleanser or something?

I still couldn't find the last missing person although I searched the Spire, floor by floor twice >_< Could we possibly get some walkthrough or hint as to where they all are?

Is it possible to be able to teleport to the Lake, once you visit there the first time or reach a certain checkpoint? (Yes, am lazy)

And Yay! From the sound of the queen's letter, another adventure awaits :)

Typos

Inn, Ooze back story, person with green font: Ideally I would stay here and run more tests, but I'm sure that cursed woman is upon us. I must leave soon.

Elsa (about the queen): She's awesome in a sinister way (should have period here)

Letter from the queen: Please also tell Ezekiel the Head Priest asks him to come back as quickly as possible. (Did you mean: Please also tell Ezekiel the Head Priest to come back as quickly as possible.)

Letter from the queen: It will take you to the Highlands, where an old noble of Ulstern before I took the throne was exiled. (Sentence structure here is a bit strange. Could I suggest: It will take you to the Highlands, where an old noble of Ulstern had been exiled before I took the throne.)
    My impressions haven't changed much. It's a solid title with good writing and interesting mechanics. As you've already mentioned, the combat needs some considerable balancing as the endgame battles are too easy. Thank you again, and much love and respect to your hard work!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  10. Volrath

Volrath Knight in Sour Armor Degica

First Language:
    English
    Well, I had a fantastic time playing this!

As a Team Dragonfly fanboy, I was excited about the art and I wasn't let down. The profiles, the picture cutscenes and the menu all looked great. All the battlers were really neat too, especially the different forms of the slime. Speaking of him..political humor ahead, couldn't resist!

[​IMG]
    The balance is wonky, but I think you're well aware of that by now. I went up three levels after the first fight. It did give the game a nice fast-paced feeling that was fun. The individual floors of the spire were fairly short, the battles went quick and you were always learning new stuff. Sometimes the dialogue slowed it up a bit, though. The party interactions got a bit samey after a while and there were moments where it seemed like the group took a long time to say something fairly straightforward and simple. But all the characters were quite charming so the conversations did their job in that respect.

All the character development tools were really fun, even if I didn't always feel like I was getting all the nuances. I don't think I took advantage of Elsa very well at all. But it was fun seeing the golem and the slime (Dragon Form!) get absolutely awesome after a while.

The only major issue I had was...

...the Ezekiel section. I just found that kind of frustrating. It wasn't until after a nightmarish 45 minute fight against the two books and wizards, where I exhausted every last healing item I had, that I realized random encounters were around and I could level. Not only that, having these insanely strong enemies but not being able to fight them with the party I had spent the whole game leveling up was kind of a letdown. Oh well.
    Anyhow, great job everyone! 

Fomar0153 likes this.
  11. Merlandese

Merlandese Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, this is a sweet game! I've only played about two hours so far, but I'm totally into it.

The story isn't incredibly compelling, but it's by no means lower than Really Good. In fact, a lot of the ideas come off as new and exciting, which is a huge plus. Why I'm not fully absorbed in it doesn't make any sense to me since I'm prone to giving innovation a heavy +100% bonus. So I really do like it, but I have this nagging feeling that I could like it more.

The characters are great. They feel three-dimensional most of the time, but occasionally are only about 2.5 dimensions--this applies mostly to Elsa so far. She's trying too hard to be the big bad knight and, although I can see her revealing a lot of softness later, it's a bit same-y most of the time. I loved Alba, though. In a really weird way, making her have a husband and a happy marriage as a background detail really fleshed her out for me. I'm neither big on marriage nor reliance on husbands, but the fact that she had a life elsewhere that she could refer back to made all the difference in the world to me.

The core of this so far is the amazing battle customization. The battle style itself isn't that compelling, but you guys did things that hooked me and had me grinding willingly. Alba's R&D makes every post battle as fun and engaging as possible. The counter-balance, then, is Elsa's "Used Rune" system that makes the battles interesting mid-action. There's nothing I can do with Alba to make her better while fighting, but Elsa's Runes had you consider what moves you'd use based on how you wanted her to grow. That weird mixture of inside/outside battle considerations make it all work out.

The art fits well, and the mapping is solid. The proximity-based arrows for interactive objects is brilliant; it encourages exploration while getting rid of the tedious pixel hunts you might expect from the genre.

This is the most I've written about a contest game yet, and for good reason. I really dig it, and I hope you all do incredibly well! Thanks for uploading and sharing such a killer entry!

And if you're trying to track naming stats:

I named the Golem G.I.L.E.S. and the slime Booze.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    Fomar0153 likes this.
  12. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thought I'd add a bit more since I'm nearly at the end (I think). I really like how the theme changes after every few floors. Some of the puzzles were very interesting as well, especially on the magic floors. I think the last of the poison floors didn't add the poison effect on the characters though (you know when you press the buttons to remove those; I think the previous floors worked fine, but the last one before the boss wasn't). I finally got a chance to make use of most of Ooze's forms. Some really awesome ones there, though I personally think some are way more useful than the others. I find the skills of Reptile/Dragon forms to be the best, so I've decided to stick with those as my default forms.

I am currently stuck on a boss fight. I'll talk about it in the spoilers.

It's the first one you get once you have control of Ezekiel. The Divine Ruler. I am not sure what's up with that boss fight, but it seems really unfair to me. The whole fight the boss keeps casting weakness and Atk debuffs on you. If I am not spamming the Elixirs repeatedly, it's the Dispel Charms. I hardly get a chance to attack at all, and the DP charges too slowly for the specials. Despite the number of times I hit him for hefty damage, he never goes down. Is there an end to this boss fight at all? Is there a better strategy? Or should I just keep using the items and hammering endlessly at him? Right now this is my least favourite boss fight in the game. Just having one character in the party and being weakened so much isn't fun.

The two bosses prior to this one were pretty fun though because they were challenging and opened up a lot of room for strategy. The one against the Angel boss that kept summoning for help was fun. I died a couple of times to it and it really made me think of how to tackle it and which skills to use and when. The trio was a nice boss fight too. At that point I thought the game finished, but it's still continuing? I think the bit after that is really unnecessary and I think the story should've just been concluded there, but oh well.

13. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    You can fight some random battles in that section before the boss after a couple of level ups you'll be good to go.
    The last section was done Sunday night (game hand in was Monday night), I expected the floors to be bigger and that you'd have levelled up a couple of times. Good luck!

@Merlandese glad you're enjoying it,funny you should mention name tracking. I have a system where I can track player decisions but I didn't have the time to implement it into Sunken Spire but I fully intended to let players officially decide the Golem's true designation.

@Alkorri 12 hours is the highest game time report we've had. Thanks for sticking with it for that length of time, you must really have enjoyed it :D

@Volrath Elsa does pale next to Alma and it wasn't intentional, Elsa if anything was intended to be slightly stronger than Alma but I was really cautious after how powerful she ended up in the grumpy knight. We'll certainly be looking at building on Ezekiel's section.

Alkorri likes this.
  14. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah I see. I kind of figured that might've been the case. Though (and not to sound harsh and all) to give the player a new character to play as and instantly to make them grind is a major design flaw in my opinion. I'll see how it goes. So long as not much grinding is necessary, it should be good. The game is really enjoyable otherwise. Just a handful of breaks in the flow like this one is what brings it down.

15. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    I had expected Ezekiel's section to be 6 floors long with one floor for each of the themes but in reverse and for each floor to be of a similar size to the floors Elsa and Alma conquered (it's just unfortunate the floors ended up being soo small). It is an area we feel needs a lot of work and we do intend to give it that work in the future. Being as we're planning to overhaul as much as we can, which others bits did you find broke the flow?

Bonkers and Matseb2611 like this.
  16. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have to admit the game stuck in my mind days after I finished it :)

17. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds good. There were a few minor bits:

- I remember one of the slippery ice puzzles took a bit too long - I think it was a really wide open space one, and because it was so large, it was hard to see where you were slipping towards exactly and so it was hard to decide your route, as the screen is only so big.

- I also really REALLY hated those Winged Joy enemies. They had some super high defence and would take ages to go down (I had to use Ooze's Def debuff, but it would need 2-3 strikes with that to a single one of them to really bring their defence down, and you'd often fight 2-3 at a time), and to make it worse, they'd always spam that tornado attack repeatedly, which deals hefty damage to the whole party. After having fought them in a couple of battles, it got really tiring to keep fighting them again and again.

- I mentioned some time ago about the whole silence not wearing off. In the fire floors it was possible to have 3 of your party members get silenced within the first two turns, and because it doesn't wear off, the battles drag out too much - you either have to waste turns drinking the Siren item, or to just use basic Attack

- I think the random encounter rate has been improved in the new update. I remember the first few floors of the tower they kept happening too much, though I never went back to those after the update, so thought I'd mention this in case. If it has been fixed, feel free to ignore this.

18. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    @Matseb: Thanks for all the feedback! We'll certainly be looking at a lot of these things when we expand on the game. (Especially revising how we handle the ending. It turned out a bit differently than originally envisioned, and I think that has brought it down in a lot of ways)

And thank you to everyone who has taken the time to play and comment on our game! Rest assured, we will be taking your points into heavy consideration, and hopefully down the road we will be able to bring to you all an even better version of this game.

We're very happy that people are enjoying it for what it is now! <3

Matseb2611 likes this.
  19. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've resumed my journey, and found the 20th person I didn't rescue...on floor 1.  ><

So far I've found several Death Knight Mantles.  One in a chest and one on a person.

[​IMG]

Elsa loves Stairs.  She will walk up them in all sorts of manner.

[​IMG]

Vampire Lord said he would upgrade items in the shop for every 5 people I save, he lied.  Friggan art loving blood sucking dapper lord of darkness.

The summoning spell that is suppose to cause enemies to bleed and suffer poison never seems to do anything.  Am I missing the cues?

I defeated *spoiler*, but her *spoilers* kill me anyway ><  I'll keep at it.

MAJOR: Botanist Rest Point does not restore HP when you take a rest.  

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  20. Jaide

Jaide "This guy are sick." Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Aaaaand as I went into this game blind, I reached the bug on Floor 27 before downloading the patch. orz Oh well, I saved when I entered the room!

EDIT: Oh my GOD the Divine Judge can eat several bags of dicks! XD Sorry, can I say dicks here?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Bonkers and Alkorri like this.