Sunken Spire [Game Released]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Indrah, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Hello, I decided to try Sunken Spire!

It was mostly because this topic was posted by indrah and i've been watching those video playthroughs :X shhh~~

Liked:

* Having parts of the story where you're not with your entire party. In the beginning, it helps you focus on learning about Elsa/Alma's abilities. Near the end, Ezekiel's little adventure adds interest. I think it would've been boring without that bit.

* Exploration is really smooth thanks to the item indicator, the encounter gauge, and the way you can keep dash on. I never felt like i didn't know where to go or what to do next.

* Audio/Visual elements come together perfectly. Stylized illustrations/pixelwork, non-repetitive maps, clean ui, a battle system that was easy to understand. Audio was well selected/placed and nothing sounded out of place.

* I personally like Alma's class a lot. The way that her research affects party members was unique.

Disliked:

* You had fun characters but the storyline was pretty bland. I found myself skipping over dialogue near the end, and the humorous messages from the Blessed didn't really reach me.

* In order to see what's available for each of Ooze's forms, you need to keep switching in and out of ABILITY and SKILLS.

* Boss battles with the group were too easy as I barely took any damage, or full-healed immediately. I didn't use any consumables except Sirens Blood (remove silence) until Ezekiel's bit. Also, i'm ok with MysticPlant Ooze being super op in regular battles, but nerf him a little in boss battles.

* Freezing powder appears to be useless except for stalling in Ezekiel's final battle. (or am i using it wrong?)

Issues: no errors encountered.

* Using Poison Cloud on the enemy doesn't show any battle notes but if alma attacks, you'll see the "+Poison" text animation. Same goes with Stun Cloud: No "+Stun" note appears but it obviously worked.

* There's one item that i can't get to. I'm not sure if i'm having a brain fart, or if it's actually unobtainable. (see image)

* Also not sure if it's an actual issue. There's a column tile that makes it look like a certain path isn't passable. (see image)

[​IMG]

Overall, a strong contender! One of my favourites in the contest so far. :thumbsup-left:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
    Jaide, Fomar0153 and Indrah like this.
  2. VoxPopuli

VoxPopuli WatchFire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I got around in the last couple of days to Sunken Spire as I slowly (but surely?) go through the mountain of games in the 2014 IGMC -- and that mountain is only the games related to this forum -- not the Mt. Everest of IGMC games in totality which number close to 700.

First the caveat for my upcoming feedback: I played the IGMC version and I read the qualifications related to its release and certainly empathized as I uploaded mine at the last moment and didn't get to put in everything I wanted to. Also, due to time limitations, even with the extended deadline, I only played 2.5 hours and got as far as the treehouse. I intend to come back to this game once the contest is over.

Here is my feedback:

On the plus side I found the mapping and graphic work superior. The humor worked more often than not, and I enjoy tongue-in-cheek humor that is self-referential to RPG games themselves. I was especially pleased to see an unusual (and usually much maligned) party member join the group. Very interesting and original skills and abilities, especially relating to that one unusual party member I mentioned. Though the battles were random (and I personally have no problem with random battles) there was also a Danger-O-Meter, or something like that, so you knew when the battle was coming, even if you did not know who the mobs were going to be. The game flow and the variety of battle maneuvers remained interesting without being cluttered. I liked the huff-and-puff attack. The delineation of the two main characters was well established.

On the down side (keeping my early caveats in mind):

I found the town of Leveida very well mapped but too large in a ratio of size vs. things-to-do/discover. Features like the art gallery, art school, music school were very nice and well done, but there did not seem to be much to do in them except admire them (those the pose skit worked well). I would've like to see perhaps a side-quest relating to the art gallery where you get drawn into a portrait, or one of the sculptures turn into a mob/ally, etc. Or at least have adventure related triggering activities in such nice maps. A bit of the humor and dialogue came off flat, though as touched up earlier, a lot worked too. As a player used to going up to everything and clicking to see if it interacted, I personally thought the visual cue arrows were a bit much and robbed some of the sense of discovery. Finally, a small point, but it seemed that Alma had her face in the book during jarring moments of the narrative (she's portrayed that way because of her research/development role?)

All-in-all I rate this game highly, and after IGMC will probably try out the latest version rather than go back to the contest entry even if I have to start from scratch.

3. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I have been slowly playing the game and I love it!

I am yet to play Grumpy Knight or Search for Immortality, and playing this makes me curious to learn all about the characters. I did play a little bit of Dead Moon Night... those recurring characters looked so badass. Was there a hidden Keith cameo somewhere? :p

Anyway, I found a little problem, I don't know if you guys are aware of it, but here's a screenshot, it's worth more than a thousand words to explain what happened.

[​IMG]
     Explaining anyway, the box to the right of the flowers is a passable tile, making it possible to climb to the roof.
    Great work on the game, once more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  4. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Silvestre - Hey there, did you download the latest version by the way? The one I'm playing fixed all that.

5. Silvestre

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I thought so, I even downloaded the latest version available here to be certain if it was fixed before posting about it. I unzipped it again and tried once more. Unless I need to start a new game to have the update's effect...

6. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    @Silvestre - No, I downloaded the latest version and just moved the save files over, and it ran fine. Hee, sorry, not sure what's going on :)

7. Silvestre

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hmm you are right. I must have had some weirdness when I tried updating and not installed the correct version.

I tried again and the problem was solved. Sorry about the post then. Just trying to help!

8. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Found a script error in the first battle, and I'm not sure if this just happens for me. So far it's been showing up when I use the books in battle, It only happens now and then though.

Script error:

Screenshot 2014-07-16 18.16.42.png

9. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

Did you download it from the contest site? If so, I highly recommend redownloading the patched version from the first post. Otherwise, that bug is avoided by not opening the bestiary before the first fight.

10. GIRakaCHEEZER

GIRakaCHEEZER Dreams of Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, here were my thoughts as I played the game.

Music and art look good so far.  

I like how interactable things have arrows on them when you walk by.  It's a nice touch.

At the number lock on the bookshelf, why are the numbers 6 and 8 elevated?  Also the number lock puzzle doesn't seem to give any indication that you got it right after you enter in the correct answer, it just closes the dialogue box.

I thought Elsa was a boy at first.  Even now I think she still kinda looks like a man.  (I renamed her to "Morgan" later, because it fit her unisex nature IMO)

Once we get to the town we get a cutscene marathon.  The longer and more drawn out cutscenes are, the more I lose interest in them I find.  

The npc in the town that lets you rename your characters is a nice touch.

There are a lot of houses and stuff in this town, but nothing of real importance in them.  Kind of makes exploring them a chore?  Filler dialogue can be a good thing, but I feel like you might have gone overboard, since I started just not-reading what npcs were saying unless they gave me items or whatnot.

That musical puzzle in the tower was a bit difficult.  I'd recommend making it a little easier somehow.  Wasn't that bad, though.

Okay so boost spores appears to stack the more I use it, and only wears off once the battle is finished.  This seems a little OP to me.  I'm going to use it to steamroll the rest of the game.

That one ice puzzle was from hell.  The first one on the last ice floor, I think it was.

This is waaaayyy more than one hour of gameplay.  I already have a total playtime of over 2 hours.  Jeez.

The purple mist filter that goes over the screen sort of makes it hard to see what's going on in battles and stuff.  Might wanna tone it down a bit.

Okay they pick up the letter after fighting the magic eye and this cutscene starts and what is going on what.  I guess it was a "mind attack" but really I feel it barely made any sense, maybe try to communicate to the player what's going on there better/more clearly.

I really am just steam rolling all the bosses with super spores.  Not that I mind, but it *might* be a little unbalanced...

I'm really beginning to feel that this game never ends.  Like it's some sort of torturous hell that I've been flung into.  I mean not that it isn't sorta fun, but... I have a total playtime of 3 hours now.

Oh hey I reached the top of the tower now.  Time for the game to be over-oh wait...

Okay Ezekiel's protect move *says* it gives me 5 stacks of protect, but I only get 1 when I use it.  That seems kind of unfair??

I'm pretty sure this battle against the spider/poison lady is impossible.  She casts stacks of poison in like 6 or 8, and antidote can only remove them 5 at a time, so you're doing most of the fight with 1hp because of it and then when she attacks your dead.  Also she seems nigh invulnerable to my attacks, only taking like 20 damage at a time.  Did you test this fight??  (and yes, I have my DP allocated and tried multiple different combinations of allocations)

I can't get past this fight, so my playthrough ends here.

So here's what needs to be improved.

-There's a bit too much going on with the main party of Alma and Elsa and slime and the golem.  They each have their own unique systems and it's a lot for the player to take in at first.  Even after getting used to it, it still feels like a bit too much to be managing all at once.  I'd recommend simplifying it a bit.

-All the filler/flavor text in this game was in that one town.  You should spread it throughout the game instead of putting it all in one place, so that the pace of dungeon crawling gets broken up a bit as you play.  That way, if I'm getting tired of killing everything I can talk to npcs for a change of pace.  But having it all in one place makes the filler text itself a chore to read through, and devalues it.

-There's a huge difficulty spike once you get to Ezekiel.  I'm not entirely sure you even playtested his part since I seem to be in an unwinnable situation currently.

-Also this was made for the contest so it should fit within the 1 hour playtime limit, which you guys just seemed to ignore.  Oh well.

I enjoyed it for the most part though, so good job.

EDIT:  Oh also I was able to go off map in this one map:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  11. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (Woops, we forgot to move the page to the completed games section).

Also, early preview of a thing many asked for, planned for the next version of the game:

TIS A MISSING PERSONS LIST! You have no excuses to miss them now!

[​IMG]

*still not polished, it'll probably say where you found them and all later on*

Bonkers and Alkorri like this.
  12. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    I am glad to see this in the Completed Games section! This is a quality, lovingly crafted game that definitely deserves more playthroughs.

13. Cluly

Cluly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oooze ... Best character, ever. :)

Alkorri likes this.
  14. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here is the review since RMN decided to eat it: 

Clearly one of the best submissions to the former 2014 IGMC, and sadly left as an underdog for the competition due a game breaking bug.

Despite the set back Sunken Spire is an inspiration to how game making should be treated.  Stylized portraits, a customized menu and skill

system, unique characters with matching abilities, and a story to carry it all.

Indrah, Formar, Rachael and Maiko come together to deliver a powerful game that marks another raising of the bar for RM games.  Not only does the game deliver 

a significant portion of face based intense battles, but it gives the player satisfaction of a completing a story where the elements payoff.

I'll start by talking about the antagonists since they are my favorite characters. Preston and Trixie occupy the once hidden spire holding it for their benefactor

and employer.  Normally I expected the villains to be calculating and severely overbearing though this is not the case.  Preston, the dark priest, is clearly green in the sense

he hasn't had much experience and Trixie, the succubus, is supporting him.  The two function well together, but they ultimately jump the shark with all the letters they

write to the protagonists.  They also fail to lock doors, which would inevitably stopped the investigation dead in it's tracks.  the spire itself was once a powerful

icon of a saint who built it and crosses into a dimension drift that allows the space inside to warped.  This means that most floors have an elemental theme and can be larger or smaller

than the previous.  Through the limitless monsters and tough boss battles Preston becomes increasingly more desperate to show naivety and leaves most of the dirty work to Trixie.

I enjoyed them immensely, but when villainy is done poorly for the sake of humor it urks me.  Having them able to control an essential character at the end, only to be thwarted previous

to the encounter by that same character they have full control over makes me cringe.  I need a bit more than "They must have forgotten."

Now for the protagonists.  Alma is a very stern agent of Ulstern who is often sent away on long term missions for potential magical threats to her country.  Her profession is magical

engineer and she is best known for her golems.  Happily you can create a customization support golem with abilities you can research directly to your tastes.  She is well rounded,

and comes with even more customization as she can research new magical items that alter her abilities in battle.  She can range from full support, healer, or full caster.

Elsa is another story entirely.  Tough in the beginning, but sorely lacking towards the end.  Her summoning contracts give her some versatility, but it's the rune system

that makes her fall flat on her face if you don't read the fine print.  Runes generated count towards her generated equipment in her out of battle skills.  So if you

overlook using certain abilities in battle for the sake of function and efficiency you will be left with her wasting turns to self heal and counter with very little 

for your trouble.  She's a great character, but sadly weaker than the golem if used improperly.  The extra busy work associated with her skills gives a big grocery list of 

"Do I have enough of this rune?  Should I use this ability?  I really need to use this now.  I have too many of that rune already, but it's connected to a skill I like."

Ooze is definitely the hands down favorite.  Extremely weak in the beginning he can be fed trash items from monster groups to gain powerful "forms" he can morph into.

In these forms can assume a new shape and abilities of that monster group.  When Alma is experienced enough she can research new forms for ooze as well.  Treasure

can also be found that enables new forms and abilities in ooze and the amount of graphical work backing him up makes it worthwhile to see them all.  The theme, personality,

and spirit of the character shine through in every aspect of battle.  His dependency on the two women is adorable and we are given a small sampling of the previous adventures

the two had before meeting him.  It's all executed so well it's heart warming.

Fomar0153, Makio-Kuta and Indrah like this.
  15. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Okay, the game is wonderful. I really like the overall design even though I would prefer more varied encounters per area. Invisible random encounters doesn't seem to work well with auto recovery, partially due how easy the battles are in general. Either making set encounters that are shown on map (like Precise of Darkness series) or removing auto recovery would do the trick. Auto recovery also makes it so that healing thingies are way less valuable (still nice since one thing that doesn't automatically recover is that bot character.)

After I solved the skeleton puzzle in my head, it was still hard to memorize which instrument played which sound (yes I know how to check them all) so I searched number sequence via Google.) I really liked that puzzle though because of its design.

I like how each characters have different mechanics, especially Death Knight as that is my current main class in WoW and it was clearly inspired from WoW's Death Knight class. I like how using right elements to attack is massively rewarded. Albeit some things like Goo's Plant Form is ridiculously powerful due Spores and it just keeps stacking up easily.

Clear strength of this game is its story however, it is quite well written and whoever did it has a talent (or is just skilled with storytelling.) Character that wants to be an opposite sex is not that often used for example when it comes to video games storytelling, nor non-humanoid playable characters in JRPG style.

I was impressed how well the village was executed. It had more than required work put into it with all those rooms and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  16. ookami_lord

ookami_lord Best Lemon in the world Veteran

First Language:
    portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay, this is really a nice game.

I like how the battles were fast and Oozes different forms.(my favourite character. who doesn't like slimes) ;)

The music ang the arrangement of the tiles were really good and the portraits were really interesting.

I think that you aren't supposed to receive more thatn one knight's mantle.(i received one from an NPC and another one from a chest, i think.)

The ezekiel first battle and arachna battle were a pain,(especially since she was poisoning me ALL the time.

But then I realized you could level up, so the bosses after were really easy.

And when Alma felt inspired to research Ooze new treats for ooze, It didn't do anything.I did have the final forms tough.

Also...about the sidequest.

Does the lake boss battle and the Hala mountains battle take part at all, in the story?
    I know Selene appeared in the end, but I did not understand.
    Will it have a continuation?
    Looking to see more of these really short, but awesome games :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  17. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Glad you enjoyed the game, when you constructed the snacks for Ooze you can feed them to him to get his ultimate moves for his second tier forms.

As for *spoiler*

the canon ending (unless we make something like Dragon Age Keep), Edgar's sister rules the area and Selene is resurrected.

Selene will re-appear in a future game. We were thinking of adding a Selene chapter (unlocked by clearing the Selene quest line) to Sunken but it's been soo long that probably won't happen now.

Bonkers likes this.
  18. ookami_lord

ookami_lord Best Lemon in the world Veteran

First Language:
    portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, okay.

That would really be interesting.

Looking forward to more of these games.

XD

19. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm guessing the last of Selene's sheep necromancy stuff is with the villagers that you save? I beat Edgar's sis and etc. after a while, once I fingured out the best strategy. (Alma's damage dealing items are nigh useless, I swear) I basically Maelstromed my way through the game at a certain point. Ezekiel's section was a hard starting up, but his section became ridicously easy once I level up to around 37. Once you rescue all the villagers, the shop is updated to...well, the worst possible selection. I'm pretty sure it just sets the shop back to it's original setting. I was still with a billion herbs that wouldn't heal me for enough. I died constantly before I remembered that I could use the fountain. ;-;

20. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Shop thing must be a bug, will make a note for when we next work on the game, thanks.

Glad you enjoyed the game enough to do all the side quests, thanks again.