RMMV Super Cool【Demo】|#| 2D-Shooter (with Template-Version)

Do you like the idea / the game?

• No, I don't.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GamesOfShadows

♥ Gamer/Games ♥
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"Super - Hot - Super - Ho..." - Well... I mean... - "Super - Cool - Super - Cool"!
Based on the game "Super Hot" (Time only moves when you move).

Move in the shadows like a "ninja", eliminate the combat robots with a clean shot and when they see you... RUN! If you get too close to your enemies, it will be your end, so be careful what you do!

PS: Sorry for my bad english! :troll:

In "Super Cool" you can choose between Agent Red and Agent Blue. You can also change your agent name. Your magazine is fully loaded. 10 shots until you have to reload. There is no display that tells you how many shots are still in the magazine, so always make sure to reload in time!

Good To Know:
- The combat robots can only see you in the light. They can see you poorly in the shadows and therefore they do not classify you as an enemy. They also can't hear, so you can safely miss a shot as long as they haven't spotted you.

- "The shadows are completely illogical!" - Yes, they are. You can do better with the template
;)

- "F*CKING HITBOXES!!11!1" - Yes, that is unfortunately RPGmaker and the biggest problem. But hey, just leave enough space between you and your enemies!

- "Why can they take multiple steps at once, when I take only one step?" - That's so: (Good-To-Know # 2) Robots are simply faster
;)

- "WHY CAN'T I RUN???" - Well, you have an injury to your leg!?

- "Why am I so slow ???" - Still an injury to the leg!?

Last but not least...

Good-To-Know # 3:
- Sometimes it is better to take a step, but sometimes you should just do something without a break.
- Shots from turrets and lasers can not only kill you, they can also kill your opponents!

For more fun there is an endless mode, where you can kill / shot infinitely opponents.

Downloads | Play it yourself:
→ Browser: https://gamesofshadows.itch.io/super-cool
→ Windows: look up to "Browser" (itch.io)
→ Mac: look up to "Browser" (itch.io)
→ Linux: look up to "Browser" (itch.io)
→ Android: look up to "Browser" (itch.io)
→ IOS: ?
→ Handy (via Browser): look up to "Browser" (itch.io)

*Version: Demo 1.3

➤ Download the Template here:

- Dropbox:

Coming soon…

- Steam-Workshop (you must own the RPGmaker MV on Steam):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=852881486

Trailer & Showcase:

Fast, easy and clear... at least it should be that way. It is my second template, so there are still some improvements that could be made. I tried a lot of new things with this game / template, and I also had to make compromises. I appreciate any criticism, suggestion, etc.! If you want more or if it is well received, more will follow, but now let's take a look at the template:

Template-Data:
→ Difficulty:
*difficult
→ Size: ??? MB
→ Language: English
→ Genre: tactical 2D shooter

*not suitable for beginners!

→ Template version: 1.2
→ RPGmaker: MV
→ RPGmaker version: 1.6.2

Game by GamesOfShadows / KlavirMusik

Game-Engine:
RPG maker MV

Graphics:
- RPG maker MV
- RajawaliVX (rajawalivx.wordpress.com)
- Window-Skin "Digital" by SkottyTV
- Pixabay (pixabay.com)
- GamesOfShadows (GOS)

Music:
- RPG maker MV (BaseResource) / Kadokawa/Enterbrain

Alex Lisi ( http://www.alexlisi.xyz )
- Helipad Siege
- Infiltration at Dawn
- Tactics

Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com):
- Local Forecast - Elevator
Licensed under Creative Commons:
By Attribution 3.0 License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Plugins:
- Region Events (Yanfly)
- Region Restrictions (Yanfly)
- Picture Common Events (Yanfly)
- Self Switches & Variables (Yanfly)
- Event Spawner (Glav)
- GameUpgrade (SumRndmDde)
- MobileUI (Aloe Guvner)
- InputBlockKM (Poryg1)
- Text Sounds (Iavra)
- RS Chaser (biud436)
- MOG Picture Effects (Atelier-Rgss)
- Community Basic (RM CoreScript team)
- Skip Title

Special thanks:
- My friends
- waynee95 & Shaz (for help with scripts)
- Jitsu
- The german rpgmaker-mv Forum: https://rpgmaker-mv.de
- The english rpg-maker Forum: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com

There are many "comments" in the template that will help you. So that you don't forget anything important, you should rather watch the tutorials!

Video-Tutorials:

→ Everything important: Coming soon...

→ Advanced: Coming soon...

► Features ◄

• Own title screen.
  • Intro with logo & preload.
  • Playable on PC and mobile phone / Handy.
  • Simple HUD for mobile version.
  • Kill and death stats.
  • Easily change the maximum shots / ammunition.
  • Level reload.
  • Auto-save (but deactivated in the game due to a bug).
  • Easy editing of the credits.
  • Sample levels (from the demo version).
  • Many pre-made events (enemies, lasers, turrets,...).
  • Checkpoints
  • Two modes (Story-Mode & Endless-Mode)

To-Do:
  • Completing the game (full game).
  • Trailer / showcase & tutorial.
  • Bugfixes? - If necessary & If I can fix them.

Example-Pictures & gifs:
JIojZc.jpg

8l%2Brdg.jpg

7d7pV%2F.jpg

YoD64%2B.gif

4H1jMO.gif

Cs%2Fqfy.gif

dLgMKw.gif

The long story behind Super Cool in a nutshell:
The old version was bad, but was still well received. Project was paused, my old PC broke, which is why I lost all projects. I had to remade the game and (hopefully) I did it better this time! THE END :)

I can tell you the long story but... I think it's better to just tell you the short story (because of my bad english). :kaojoy:

Last edited:

GamesOfShadows

♥ Gamer/Games ♥
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
HUGE UPDATE! :kaopride:
It's been a long time, but here is it! An update! Unfortunately not a full release yet, but a complete rework! Many improvements, bugfixes, etc.!

I hope you like it. ;)

I also redesigned the thread!

Here is the Update Log:

Demo-Version 1.2
+New level (level 3)!
+"Browser export" - You can now play the browser version via PC or mobile phone!
*Optimizations for mobile version.
*Small export optimizations.
*Bug fixes.

Demo-Version 1.1
+Checkpoints have been added.
+Mode selection has been added.
*Barriers were replaced with regions -> fewer events = better performance!
*Optimizations for mobile version.
*"Terrax Lighting system" has been replaced with "Picture Effects" (shadows are created by pictures).
*Better preload.
*Small bugfixes.
*"Endless mode" is now endless.

Demo-Version 1.0c
*Bugfixes
*Small improvements

Demo-Version 1.0b
*"Terrax Lighting system" has been activated

Demo version 1.0
*Release of the complete rework

PS: Sorry for my bad english. ^^

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I completed the demo story mode.

The concept is very good, and I think this could be a very fun puzzle game. There are a few things that I struggled with:
  • I didn't realise until quite late into the demo that NPCs do indeed "only move when I move". Within the premise, it feels as if time should stop when I stop moving, i.e. if I stand still, NPCs shouldn't be able to keep running and "catch up" with me. At first I assumed they could just move freely once activated, and only later realised that they could move 3 steps to my 1, albeit slowly. Sometimes it was better to literally outrun an NPC then turn around and shoot them than figure out the intended approach to certain puzzles.
    • I know it might be very technically difficult to make them stop moving when you stop moving, so not sure the best solution to this problem.
    • Perhaps demonstrating to the player in a safe environment (i.e. NPCs you can see but who cannot reach you) that this is how they behave would work better. Alternatively, speed them up?
  • I needed a huge amount of trial and error, which is okay, but I found it quite frustrating to see the "You Are Dead" screen over and over again and I often felt I had to wait too long to try again.
  • For the lasers that are on a timer, some sort of visual indicator that they're about to change, or how many steps until they change, would be a great help. I had to walk back and forth over and over again to get these to work and often when they finally opened I found myself in the wrong spot. Even just a light on the wall above them that turns amber when they're about to fire/about to stop firing would be good.
  • For some puzzles I found what I assume is an unintended solution - if you kill some NPCs then run *back* to a previous checkpoint, they'll stay dead. In this way I'd kill one or two of a group of NPCs, get the checkpoint, then the rest caught up to me and killed me, then repeat until all are dead.
  • I didn't realise ammo was a factor until I tried to shoot my way through the last long corridor and ran out. Some sort of visual indicator for this would be very nice!
  • I often found myself having to pass time until I could progress by pacing back and forward, which was quite frustrating. Maybe a wait button or something of that nature would be good?
  • It took a while to get used to the fact that I couldn't turn around without moving. I know that's one of the basics of RPG Maker, but when you see a couple of NPCs approaching it feels like you should be able to shoot both of them in quick succession. Instead you have to shoot, step to the side, turn - and then you're dead.
I liked the presentation and the pixel font, the sound effects and a lot of the presentation. The little squelch when you step on a dead NPC is a very nice touch.

Overall it's a nice wee demo and a concept very very much worth exploring, definitely iterate on it!

GamesOfShadows

♥ Gamer/Games ♥
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Demo-Update 1.3 is out now!

Perhaps demonstrating to the player in a safe environment (i.e. NPCs you can see but who cannot reach you) that this is how they behave would work better. Alternatively, speed them up?
✔ Done. It is very difficult to stop them, when you stop. I can not fix that (only maybe with a huge workaround - or I'm just to stupid XD). Now the Player will have a save Tutorial-Level to test things out.

I needed a huge amount of trial and error, which is okay, but I found it quite frustrating to see the "You Are Dead" screen over and over again and I often felt I had to wait too long to try again.
✔ Improved.

For the lasers that are on a timer, some sort of visual indicator that they're about to change
✔ Done.

For some puzzles I found what I assume is an unintended solution - if you kill some NPCs then run *back* to a previous checkpoint, they'll stay dead.
Well at the end I didn't change it, because it maybe / could get frustrating for some players.

I didn't realise ammo was a factor until I tried to shoot my way through the last long corridor and ran out. Some sort of visual indicator for this would be very nice!
✔ Done.

I often found myself having to pass time until I could progress by pacing back and forward, which was quite frustrating. Maybe a wait button or something of that nature would be good?
✔ Done. ("Enter / Space" for Keyboard | "Move-Time"-Icon for Smartphone)

It took a while to get used to the fact that I couldn't turn around without moving. I know that's one of the basics of RPG Maker, but when you see a couple of NPCs approaching it feels like you should be able to shoot both of them in quick succession. Instead you have to shoot, step to the side, turn - and then you're dead.
✔ Done. You first turn, then you can move.

+ I made some bugfixes, other improvements and optimizations.

Update 1.3b (more bugfixes, very small improvements for smartphone)

To-Do-List:
- More Levels!
- Maybe some bug fixes

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
antodi