Super Nuclear Riders

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by FuriousGamer87, Jun 7, 2014.

1. FuriousGamer87

FuriousGamer87 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    This is a super sentai isometric tactical RPG where you commanded a team of bikers with their nuclear-powered suits to defeat Raptor Czar and his minions. Inspiration of this game theme and feel will be largely based on Studio Trigger's principals previous works and their most current one, Kill la Kill.​
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Genre: Comedy, Action, Over-the-top Crazy, Ridiculous Nonsense​
     ​
     ​
    [SIZE=10.5pt]The world is under attack.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]A horde of evil aliens, led by a mysterious figure called Raptor Czar have launch assaults upon assaults on populated areas and killing a lot of innocent people. Despite humanity vast amount of firepower, the military forces do little to no damage to the aliens using conventional arms.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]In desperation, the world powers’ formed a group of scientist led by Doctor Nagasaki to create a counter to these aliens. After investigating the aliens’ physiology and technologies, they finally came out with a way for humanity to fight back. And that was the nuclear-powered suits.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]However, there is a catch. Due to complex mechanism used by those suits, they can only be worn and utilized fully by people with free and independent spirit. This fact alone disqualifies all soldiers and most of the public from ever wearing them. Which only leave one fringe group, bikers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Therefore, the world assembles the best bikers from around the world to form the greatest superhero team on earth, the Super Nuclear Riders.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And from here onward is the story of their battle together against the most formidable foe the world ever seen, Raptor Czar.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]
     ​
    • Isometric Tactical Turn-based
    • Positioning Matters A Lot. Flank/ Back Attacks Caused Massive Damage Compared To Frontal Assaults.
    • No Random Number Generator
    • Super Moves Available

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
    ?????? likes this.
  2. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Current progress

Nearly finish combat prototype with only actions menu left to do.

[​IMG]

hiromu656, Dalph and Vexed like this.
  3. Team Turbo Turds

Team Turbo Turds Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Looks Nice, and pretty cool. What engine are you using?

4. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    looks cool.

5. Vexed

Vexed Malibu Darby Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Very nice indeed. :) I really like the art-style of what you have so far.

I'm quite a big tactical RPG fan so this is going to be an interesting one to watch out for :D

6. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Construct 2. 

Thank you. I will try not to disappoint.

7. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Nearly finish the prototype and the combat system is in place.

Now, I only need to add Studio Trigger-inspired style battle animations and remind the enemy AI that there is an attack option for them.

[​IMG]

8. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Some progress

Finish battle animations.
    Battle dialogue activated on 1/3 of the time(RNG) for both enemy and riders actions to stretch the originality of the dialogue lines.
    Now only remaining stuff before prototype is finished is reminding enemy AI how to fight and not just strut around.

[​IMG]

Since this is a standard attack, no flashy particle effects and big block red letters coming from left and right. Those are reserved for specials.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  9. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Prototype is finished.

Time to add all the other stuff and make this a really fun and even juicier game. 

10. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Finished the prologue comic book animations. Since the game theme is nutty, I figure I might as well start the game introduction via using comic book style pop-up. I truly regretted having no talent in art when attempting to draw all of it.

11. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Finally finish all abilities animations for Super Nuclear Riders

All there is left is just dialogues , pacing and battle balancing.

No pics due to spoilers, sorry.

12. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Alright, finished the game!

Super Nuclear Riders is completed in all its glory

Well, except for the music and sfx which is handled by my audiobro

Still, we got four-five more days before the final deadline for rpgmaker contest so there are a lot of room for more polish and juice.

Ratty524 likes this.
  13. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great to hear! I can't wait to play this, dude!

14. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    And it's done.

15. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Guys, please play my game  ;_;
     ​

[​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG]

I would be very happy that if you enjoy the game, you would take the time to vote for me in the contest by clicking the blue button on the top of the webpage. ​
    It would also be very encouraging for me.​

Thanks in advance!​

16. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This... looks... AWESOME. I'm gonna check it out right now!

17. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Furious. I started your game, and left off to save it and come back.

Upon restarting the game, everything is out of wack. The lag is out of this world, the cursor isn't responding correctly (when I select a space to move a unit, it completely disappears), and it makes battling excessively difficult.

Has anyone had this problem?

18. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Hmmm... never heard of this problem before. 

Upon a bit of checking, apparently this is due to my mistake of allowing players to save more than one save file using the same name.

This in turn, wreck and smash the most current saves using that name, your first save file using that save name is still fine. It only affect the other save files using the same name.

If the player try to save a savefile using the same name, I should have delete the previous file using that name.

But I didn't realize this is actually something you have to do until today when you describe the problem. 

Sorry for the troubles you are facing.

If it's any consolation, I won't repeat this mistake ever again in my other games.

Again, sorry man. 

19. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey, gave this one a shot.  Here are my thoughts:

-Initially, I thought the control scheme was kind of bizarre.  I like how you have a control page on the menu, but it took me a second to figure out how to actually access it since the confirm key was set to period.  Maybe set enter as an alternative confirm key since that's going to be one of the first keys anyone tries.

-The game looks great and it plays well.  I didn't run into any glitches; a friend of mine had the game freeze at some point--I'm not sure how, exactly.  It ran fine for me, though.

-I think this game doesn't really fit into the short play time.  Strategy RPGs take a lot of time for each battle, so I'm glad that you kept it down to four battles and pared down the story to just bits of dialogue.  At the same time, though, the battle system doesn't provide much intrigue.  There's some potential strategy here with the ranged combat options, ability to reposition enemy mobs, and the back/side attack dynamics, but I found that the game could be easily beaten by just positioning yourself behind mobs and donkey punching them (or giving them the elemental variant of that).  There could have been more depth with positioning myself by walls or obstacles to avoid back attacks, or by grouping my characters in a way that would protect myself while causing high damage, but the balance was such that I didn't have to worry about that.

-That said, I think the framework that you've built here is pretty solid, and you can build onto that by adding more skill variations (AOEs, for example) and more complex level design and enemy types. 

-Right now, your game is just the battles, and the battles just don't offer enough intrigue to stand on that alone.  The small number of enemy types and similar level design meant little variation in combat, which got boring fairly quickly.  If you want to make a game about the battles, then you'll need to sharpen this up so the player's always thinking.  Other strategy games also focus on long-term character progression.

-The game looks great.  The HUD was well-designed and helpful, though I wish some of the skills had more information (such as how many tiles a skill would knock an enemy back or how much life a skill healed).

-I would have liked to see more variance in the attack animations.  While the graphics themselves were good, the lack of much spectacle in the combat made the game slog from a visual perspective along with the slow gameplay.

-I just thought of this, but one way you might make this work more in a short-term way is by streamlining battles--one-punch kills from behind, for example.  This way, you could fit more battles in and the battles themselves would go by quickly.  I think I like the idea of building onto the ideas of this game instead of remaking it, though, so this was just a thought.

Anyway, this was a very impressive game to look at, and the framework you've built is pretty dayum cool.  As for a game itself, though, I just found that there wasn't enough there in terms of strategy and the gameplay tended to stagnate fairly quickly despite the short length.

FuriousGamer87 likes this.
  20. FuriousGamer87

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your honest feedback! 

You given me a lot on where to improve.  :)