Super Smash Bros. Feud - Sound Test remembers last song and updates

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Tabuu Forte Akugun, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Tabuu Forte Akugun

Tabuu Forte Akugun RPG Smasher Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi everyone. Tabuu here! I would like to present to you, the Super Smash Bros. Feud fan-game!

[​IMG]
     ​

This project is being developed almost entirely in custom RGSS3 code by yours truly. Now, I know what you're thinking: A Smash fan-game as a first public project? Is this guy out of his mind? Well, actually, this isn't my first rodeo. I've made RPG Maker games since 2000, I've just never released them. Good thing because they were quite ridiculous. :p I have also been intensely studying RGSS since XP. I've been reading tutorials and studying default code and the Readme file that comes with the suite.

Download Link:

There is no download link yet. I'll be sure to keep you updated! The main game is currently unplayable / being coded and the build only features menus, creating your save file and a title screen. You can also play audio but that's about it.

Game Synopsis and Features:

Genre: Fighting/Action/semi-platformer, for 1-4 players

Language: English (USA/Canada)

Players: 1-4, only with XInpiut-compatible game pads.

Even though this game is a fan-game / spin-off and not a RPG, but is still made in RPGVXA, this might be a bit difficult since there's no story...

Super Smash Bros. Feud, like its official namesake, is a fighting game where a slew of Nintendo and third-party characters get together to battle it out under the supervision of their authority figure, Master Hand. These characters are in fact trophies that live only for fighting and supremacy and do so in their own world created by Master Hand. They duke it out on stages featuring locales from famous Nintendo and third-party games and ones from the Smash Bros. world.

I guess it's meant to be a RPG Maker VX Ace equivalent to games like Crusade, however it's not trying to compete with them. While all other fan-games include anime characters such as Goku and Naruto, this fan-game is going to stick to the basics: only including fighters from video games. I'm not ready to reveal the roster as of yet (and may not be for a while), but I CAN say that it will feature fighters from real Smash games that will return as well as newcomers. This roster will also be relatively large in scale and variety of characters.

This game, thanks to Lone Wolf's awesomeness, features the Gamepad Extender, a script that allows up to 4 players on the same computer to play. I can say that this script allows fluent, comfortable and more flexible control. The only drawback to this is that I have made it mandatory to use XInput-compatible controllers to play. I coded an error screen that displays if no controllers are plugged in. Trust me, it's for the best. Keyboard controls just don't work in Smash Bros. The game is expected to control similarly to the real deal, with basic attacks, special moves and a character specific super move, the Final Smash.

This project was made possible by almost completely rewriting the default engine generated in Ace's project creation system, using 99% custom scripts and elements. Only one script from Ace is used, and that's the Weather system. Even the Game_Timer class was rewritten.

It will also have features the other fan-games lack, such as mini-games, unlockable fighters. collectibles and an opening movie. The game will also feature an immense soundtrack of around 500 songs or more, all in looping OGG Vorbis. Also uses the correct system font for the menus that is used in real Smash games since Melee!

Screenshots:

To show I'm serious, here are snapshots of a few screens. Keep in mind, though, that the game is still early in development. Anything you see here could change.

Save file creation screen: Save file creation works about 99%.

[​IMG]

Title screen: Text hidden not to give away the roster. ;)

[​IMG]

Main menu: Quest mode will be cut, and a Exit to Windows option will be added later.

[​IMG]

Sound options: Sliders and volume actually change and work.

[​IMG]

Sound test (for music). Current song count is almost 400 now. Left to be done: Finish soundtrack.

[​IMG]

First look at the Sound Effects section,

[​IMG]

Known glitch: (if anyone knows how to help fix them, please, by all means, step forward)

-Using Marshal.dump/load to save integer values to a save file causes them to return nil values and crash the game when loaded. (Especially jarring when trying to save audio volume values) Managed to pseudo-fix this one by converting it to int when reading, but it spits out 0's instead of nil values..

I can't wait to hear feedback you may have. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  2. UltimateFanBoy

UltimateFanBoy Procrastinating Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looks great! Will it be possible to have some kind of online play as well?

3. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    Hi! Thanks for dropping by, it's greatly appreciated! :D

The answer you're looking for is "no" for online, and for a few reasons: #1: The task of coding online stuff is a) virtually impossible in RPG Maker and B) I have NO idea where to even BEGIN in implementing online features. I've written RGSS programs and made RPG Maker games before, but I never once in my life made online games.

#2, I don't have the money necessary to invest in, and maintain, a dedicated server. The game will be very large-scale and code heavy, so I'm very afraid that it will inevitably suffer from lots of lag. Even the developers of the real Smash games, with their big teams, budgets and high-poly 3D models, can't do great online with Smash. So I don't see how I, especially being a one-man team with RPG Maker, could do better. :) I would have LOVED to otherwise. The best I can provide is the WolfPad multiplayer. I'm sorry. :(

I thank you for your feedback, really :) But long story short: no online.

UltimateFanBoy likes this.
  4. UltimateFanBoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, that's fine. I was just a bit curious. Good luck!

5. LostFonDrive

LostFonDrive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks dayum amazing, however in my opinion the "Feud" part of the logo looks quite bad, honestly. 

6. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Ah yes, sounds like an ACTUAL smash fangame that won't go crazy with it's roster.

I'll probably follow this, hope you can be able to show game play soon!

7. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    It's fine. :) And thanks.

Yeah... It's starting to drive me crazy as well. I drew it freehand before applying a filter for the colours.

Well, depends what you mean by crazy. I have some... unusual (strictly video game!) choices that'll throw some in for a loop, but no Disney, anime, etc. characters. They just don't fit in. Whenever I see a new fan-game out, it always either has Ichigo, or Goku or some crap like that. Feud will be void of them.

8. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    That's fine, as long as it's video game focus and a general focus on Nintendo, which you seem to have. Even if none of that is true, I'm very interested to see how this type of game will play on RPG maker.

9. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    Yep, no worries there: most of the content is Nintendo. There are 3rd party fighters, but good news: they've all appeared on Nintendo systems at least once in their life span. ;)

And it supports controllers with analog sticks and the like, I don't expect it'll control badly, but we'll see. :) I hope it turns out good. ^^

Coming up!

I'm updating the Sound Test screen to include the franchise icons and "Original" and "Remix" strings. I'm also working on the Special Rules screen on the side, and I'm soon going to post the Challenger Approaching (hidden character appears) screen with a generic fighter picture (still not revealing fighters).

10. UltimateFanBoy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't want to be one of those people, but there 2 DBZ games for the GameCube, Budokai 1&2.

I won't mind if he's not in it, though. It just seems like no one really knows.

11. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    I know. I used to own Budokai. But DBZ didn't debut in a video game. There is absolutely no DBZ content. I'm confirming it now. ;)

So.

Sound Test WIP 2:

[​IMG]

Challenger Approaching screen! Featuring Blue Alloy as a placeholder. XP

[​IMG]

Dang... I'm itching to get this thing playable. haha

12. SpiralSigil

SpiralSigil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is looking good so far, though I'll admit I'm a teensy bit dissapointed.  Not by anything here, but because when I saw a Smash Bros game being made with RPG Maker, it brought back memories of the (Sadly unfinished as far as I'm aware) "Master Hand's Revenge" made on RM2K.  There was an amazing sense of lighthearted humor about that one.  

Ah the good ol days.

Best of luck with this though, I'll be rootin for you :D

13. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    That RM2K game doesn't ring a bell. But it sure does sound interesting.

And thanks for the wishes, means a lot. :D

So! School's out for the week. Time to dust out the game pad and keyboard. I'm getting back to work. :) I expect to finish the Special Rules menu and hopefully either start on a new screen or add more songs to Feud's massive repertoire.

EDIT: I redesigned the logo from the ground up. I received feedback that it wasn't very good, and since then I started picking it apart for flaws and found tons. So yeah, tell me what you all think! ^_^

[​IMG]

Next up, I'll be finishing the Special Rules menu and posting a snapshot or 2 of it. I will also be working on fighter renders so I can make portraits and continue work on the Character Selection screen. Finally, I'll start working on a new screen. Possibly the sound effect Sound Test.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
  14. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    Bump!

I'm back to work on the game now. Break's over. Right now I'm making small practical stuff, such as soundbank classes for SFX, and adding more sounds to the Sound Test menu. I will finish the Special Rules menu as well. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

The options and parameters are as of right now fully selectable, including disabling Stock when Time is selected and other such nuances. Most values are stored in arrays and the menu cycles through them as value changes. All I need to do is add 2 options (Additional Rules and Item Switch) and add the function to exit this menu. I will also set the default Damage Ratio value to 1 like in the real games.

I will also make new screens shortly, including My Music screens and starting... Trophies. :D There are going to be quite a few of those suckers in the game. Thankfully they'll all be static sprites without animation. :)

I'm still very excited to see this game come to life.

Ciao, see ya later!

15. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    Well! Looks like I have to bump this once again!

Special Rules pretty much finished. All that's left is to set the Dmg ratio to 1.

[​IMG]

As mentioned before, rules are completely selectable and customizable. And they even currently work perfectly on my still secret Character Select screen! (Time = "Free For All" announcer call, and everything!)

Soundbanks are being created and work like a charm. They were made so I wouldn't have to type "Audio/SE/blahblah" all the time, only once. And my sound effects are organized into sub-folders dictating what they're for. The only problem with that is the inability to play them back in Ace's Sound Test.

I also wrote a Preload screen to de-clutter my Main. It looks cooler, too. ;)

This week I will also finish composing the game's main theme and giving it its vocals.

As stated in my previous post, I want to work on trophies soon, and of course more screens.

I hope everyone is doing well. Ciao for now.

16. Tabuu Forte Akugun

First Language:
    English
    Another bump!

Hi everyone! How are you doing? I'm graduating from college, so I've got a lot of spare time. Time to get cracking.

The Sound Test's mechanics are pretty much finished. I was also able to make it remember the last music track the player selected. Turned out to be easier than I thought. The same feature won't be added for soundbanks, however.

I made a IndieDB page for the game, which you can find here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/super-smash-bros-feud, and a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/smashbrosfeud

A nice update also happened: BrawlBox, the program I use for renders and sprites, can render perfect shading and "shinyness", for a more authentic "game" look. I made renders for 3 fighters already and they look really good if I may say so.

I'll show you a character who doesn't appear in Feud as an example. As you can see, the dome and armour plates shine!

[​IMG]

Now! About the game: I converted a lot more sound effects, and I'm going to create a new screen and finish the menus I edited this week. I might also do some collectible trophy stuff, now that I can make "perfect" renders, as well as convert more songs till I reach 400. The song total I am aiming for has been raised to 600 after reading that Smash Wii U had 430-something. I have ALL the veteran music I want, and most of the originals I want to use and an idea of which ones I want to remix. I broke apart some stages into 2D layers / sprites for use in the game.

I hope to have more snapshots later. Toodles!