Super Tasters? Picky Eaters?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Astel, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Are you a super taster? Or merely a picky eater?
    I don't really know if i'm a super taster... however sour things really get me. I literally can't drink beer or most alcoholic drinks (apple cider excepted) because the sourness completely overpowers me... neither can i drink coffee unless it's drowned on milk and sugar. Many vegetables are also off limits for me.
    The worst part is texture... i can't stand chewy, slimy, crunchy textures of the things i eat... hate all fish except canned tuna, and can't stand the "crunchyness" of shrimps for example.

Are you a picky eater? Any problems with some foods? Share your stories. :)

Alexander Amnell and Reapergurl like this.
  2. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've concluded I have a weak palette because I can't tell the difference between high-quality and low-quality food. However, I am a picky eater in the sense that I have numerous "trigger" foods that I just won't touch because they just repulse me so strongly, ranging from simple distaste to actual sickly feelings. The reason it counts as picky is because they're all relatively commonplace things. :kaocry:

The big ones would be most vinegar-based products like Mayonaise and Salad Dressing, certain bread products like Flour Tortillas and English Muffins, and pretty much anything Spicy. I also avoid meats with high amounts of bones, fat, or cartilage (like classic chicken legs or t-bone steaks), since to this day I've yet to figure out how to actually eat more than 50% of such things. :kaomad2:

Tortilla's the weirdest one. I literally get sick if I eat a real burrito/quesadilla/whatever, but there's no explainable reason why.

Ms Littlefish, Astel and Reapergurl like this.
  3. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I am...

Well...

I cannot think of a single adjective or adverb that would illustrate this colorfully, so an explanation is due.

I am autistic; I have a hyper-sensitive set of senses, but unlike most autistic people, my hyper-sensitivity is not all-around high, but higher in some areas and lower in others, one of the lower sensitivity being my tastes, actually being less sensitive than most people in general.

This has led me to like some rather odd foods, and dislike some commonly eaten foods.

Like, I can eat some really bitter, or sour food, like spinach (top five most bitter commonly eaten foods) and lemons (top three most sour commonly eaten foods), and not really be affected by the level of bitterness or sourness, but foods that are bland or have an odd texture with little to no flavor at all I cannot stand. Foods like cauliflower, butter beans, great northern beans, lima beans, and even tuna are absolutely disgusting to me (but my very sensitive nose loves the smell of tuna-GO TF FIGURE).

A lot of exotic foods I love because the flavor profiles, the texture profiles, provide a sensory interest; sushi, sashimi, hot chili peppers (I can eat a Ghost Pepper and not be harmed by it), clams-on-a-half-shell, mealworms, kumquats, ramen noodle bowls (as in the ones you get from the local shops in Japan that are large deep and full of all sorts of exotic goodies), curry, among many others are wonderful to my senses (but my nose hates the smell of wasabi).

Yes, this also means that I can enjoy many different types of liquor. However, the grunge-grade 'p*sswater' beers are absolutely disgusting to me; I can't even drink a whole twelve ounce can because it's so bloody gross.

This also applies to a few very high-grade liquors, because of my nose being unable to stand the stench, or because the liquors themselves are too difficult to swallow (thick, obnoxiously so).

But, Captain Morgan, I can drink all night long!

...Oh, no not really; last time I did that, a whole week went by as a blur (and I still have no clue as to what I did or didn't do).

So, I stick to bittersweet liquors, same with desserts most of the time; wine and baker's chocolate are good (though too much of the latter can wreak havoc on your digestive tract). I also love tiramisu and flan.

Astel likes this.
  4. Astel

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually like mayonnaise very much, too much maybe? But i share your feelings about meats... skin, bones, fat, and cartilage are an absolute and big NO for me... i dread eating a chicken leg :(
    Tortillas... well being from Mexico it's hard to dislike tortillas :D i don't eat spicy food though...

Reapergurl likes this.
  5. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I’m a picky eater in that I’m constantly checking labels and ingredients of what I eat, but that’s because of my peanut/tree-nut allergies more than anything. :rswt

There’s not a lot I won’t try, but I rarely enjoy anything fried or involving ground meat. Fried foods nearly always make me feel sick, and I’ve had major issues with ground meat ever since I watched a show about e. coli when I was around 9-10. I don’t like to eat it, I don’t like to touch it, I don’t like having anything to do with it. :kaoback:

6. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not really that picky, if it's on a plate in front of me I'll eat it though I tend to prefer seafood above all others. I used to be really picky as a child, or so I've been told, but I got over that real quick when I spent eighteen months "finding myself". (read: dropping out of college in a deep depression to become a vagabond living out of a hatchback that was older than I was with around $800 to my name and no more coming in but hellbent and determined to see the sights and wander the country anyway) in the course of which I dumpster dived (not as gross as it sounds if you are smart about it, lots of box stores throw out their food pre-boxed the moment it's marked expired since (though I think said law might have changed) it's actually illegal in most of America to donate expired foods of any kind to soup kitchens and such, so they'd just waste the things instead week after week while people all around them went hungry.)and sometimes worked day labor in urban environments; I poached pretty much anything I could spear, shoot or trap and spent a lot of time staring at my trusty pocket herbalist and risking the perils of foraging as a learning experience when in the blessed wilderness and made a lot of interesting wild salads and seasonings and such. An easy cure for even the pickiest of eaters is the prospect of going hungry otherwise.

Probably couldn't get away with sheep like that these days, people are to quick to call the cops at the sight of even a double-barrel sporting birdshot, uppity about private property (talking about corporations mostly here) and treating their fellow man as a piece of trash if he/she doesn't have a mailing address to go home to, though I think everyone in the first world should attempt to spend a year or so as a vagrant when they're young if for nothing else than to realize how happy you can actually be with so much less than what most of the first world considers "the bare minimum standard of living that we have to provide for everybody" Fun times those, kept me from eating a bullet at the very least. And they certainly ingrained in me the deep compulsion to clean any plate put in front of me, I cringe whenever I see people scraping away piles of unwanted food into the trash ever since.

I draw the line at alcohol though, had only two beers in my life and won't touch another. If I'm going to go through the trouble of drinking alcohol it's going to be whiskey or vodka or rum (but only rum if I'm making eggnog). There are just to many choices for alcoholic beverages and to many of them are disappointing, I stopped trying new ones with my own money once I discovered a couple that I actually liked. Of course this whole paragraph is moot since I've been a teetotaler for about a decade now, I just wanted to end this post back on topic.

mlogan and Reapergurl like this.
  7. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like Amy, I'm also a massive label checker because I have food allergies to shellfish, some citrus, and am lactose intolerant. I get around this by cooking the vast majority of my food, but I'm very wary of labels because a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect to have an ingredient does. A lot of sauces, especially of Asian influence, have shellfish in them. A lot of products of any fishy origin are too risky, even fish oil tablets! I also have to check a lot of toiletries because they could contain orange oil. I've had that happen, blew up in a painful, itchy rash over my entire face and body because I didn't notice orange peel oil in the ingredients.

One thing I do have that is a bit peculiar is I'll eat meat but I won't touch or cook it. If we're having meat the boyfriend has to prepare it. I have some germaphobia issues and I've had this oddity since as young as six. So, yeah. I make a lot of vegetarian meals. XD

Other than that I'll eat nearly anything. I'm much more adverse to smells. Sometimes the smell of something makes me very nauseated, and a lot of that has to do with migraine. Before and during one I find it nearly impossible to eat much of anything because my sense of smell becomes so elevated that the thought makes me ill. The only foods I've found that actually trigger my migraines are alcohol and processed meats, though.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    mlogan and Reapergurl like this.
  8. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In a way, I am a picky eater, I guess. First of all, the only kind of sauce I can have is Barbecue and sometimes tomato. Other than that, the only time I'll take it is on chicken wings. I also have the tendency to eat everything separately. If I have a bowl of ice cream with rainbow flavours, I eat every colour separately. Same with candy. I have to go by colour. With any kind of food, I have to eat it in a specific order. Usually I eat the meat first, then the potatoes, then any rice or pasta or anything else on the side, and then I would eat any salad. If you give me anything together as in on top of one another, I can't eat it. There are some exceptions like pizza and lasagna, because you have to eat those together, but anything else, it has to be in that specific order. I don't really think I'm a super taster, although I have been known to be rather picky with sweet foods. If I eat Jamaican patties, I can sort of eat them when they're mild, but I'm more likely to eat them spicy. I can eat most things honestly, but I can't stand tuna and a certain type of blueberry muffin gives me automatic gag reflex. I don't take anything with pulp, except smoothies. Oh boy, I sound terrible. Surprisingly enough, I'm actually not allergic to anything. XD

Reapergurl likes this.
  9. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @HexMozart88 Yeah, I can relate to the eating certain foods separately.

Like, if I'm having a salad I will eat that first and eat it all before moving on to the next course.

I actually avoid Olive Garden for this reason; Unlimited Salad means that's all I'll eat, and then...

a trip to the ladies' room (if it weren't for all the vinegar in the dressing which I do like but it makes me...)

When it comes to desserts, yeah...irdgaf (I Really Don't Give...); especially complex layered desserts, just give it to me.

I won't ever eat certain types of food combinations.

Some people think it's acceptable to have a baked potato with any sort of pasta dish.

Are you TRYING to make me diabetic!? YOU IDIOT! DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH STARCH THAT IS!?!?!?!?!??

Like, it's a LOT; and you say you're on a DIET!? What a JOKE.

*ahem* Excuse my rant; I'm a bit unwell, mentally today. Any thing remotely reminiscent of past trauma is a trigger today.

Anyway, oh yeah.

I am not like most spicy food connoisseurs; I cannot eat a lot of spicy food in one sitting (or well I could but...like with the Unlimited Salad it leads me to the ladies' room...)

But I can eat bitter food with little worry, it seems I've the most tolerance for bitter. Maybe that's why I am the way I am, I dunno.

10. Jef299

Jef299 Fifteen Mush-ups! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Seafood diet!

Huh? Yeah. Seafood and I EAT it.

Reapergurl likes this.
  11. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I enjoy all foods, but I hate cooking so I only eat sandwiches.

Reapergurl likes this.
  12. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm a picky eater (thanks mom!) with a lot of things. For me, it's all about the texture or mixture of foods. I'm not one for cheese but I love pizza and lasagna, but too much cheese in my mouth tends to hit my gag reflexes (unless it's pizza, then I'm fine). Seafood I have to force down if I try it, I can't stand chewing on a big piece of pepper. I hate sliced tomatoes in tomato sauce, since it's like, soggy and gross and all that. I could go on, but I'll spare the list of things I don't like. I'm not nearly as picky of an eater as my mom is, so there's that at least.

Astel and Reapergurl like this.
  13. Astel

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I just love pizza by the way, it's pretty much a perfect food for me... no strange textures or flavors, no bones, fat, or whatever. A cold slice of pizza is a great breakfast B)
    Fish... it taste fishy... :distrust: just kidding... i don't like the texture, sometimes i feel i'm eating wet paper or something... and fish... bones? spines? what they are called? I'm afraid of them.

Reapergurl likes this.