superMasterSword's Coding Department

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by SuperMasterSword, Apr 2, 2018.

1. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Talk about last minute! I was playing Xenoblade Chronicles last weekend and had far less time this week than expected. However I have finished my submission!

The save starts off right in front of my classroom ready to begin the lesson, it is on the left because, I mean, c'mon everybody, right is my favorite direction too but we can't leave Touch all alone now can we? :D Although you may notice there is an unfinished map, that's because I realized I really just made my classroom and didn't feel like going overboard with sci-fi, but it might be okay to go over-the-top for a Coding Department for everyone.

Even though there is a save starting at my classroom I did change a little bit of Touch's intro so it should work fine if you do a New Game and go through it like normal. Also so it would be easier to implement my lesson with as few changes as possible. I did add one of Avery's animated tech charsets for some lit up computers. All pictures start with ORNPlugin so they fit with the naming and stay together inside all the orientation (also since they all involve the plugin manager). I have done basic testing and it appears to be relatively bug-free except for some messages that don't seem to appear, but luckily they don't contain anything important anyway. There's also a Gimp file in the pictures folder that I used figure out how I needed to tweak Pointer image to get it to highlight what I want without continual trial-and-error or eventing a picture mover, which I'd have to remove.

Can't really think of anything else important so I'll just leave the link and go to bed now. Hope you like it.

Rhino likes this.
  2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not happy with the result to be honest.
    I like the fact that you were thorough in the introduction to Plugin manager. The fact that I didn't cover how to open Plugin manager is my blunder and I think I'll update it if MV school survives.
    However, I don't think it's a good idea to introduce all types of parameters to a complete beginner. They'll forget them in a minute! In fact even I don't know many of these params and I don't even need to.
    Also, introducing parameters of default MV plugins... Feels rather unnecessary. The player can read, you know :D
    As for the cache limit, it's not really correctly described. Yes, increasing the cache if you want to have more images stored is right. However, according to Japanese documentation of the plugin 20 was made for mobiles. If you want to publish the game on PC, it's better to set it to 50 MPix.
    Also, according to the documentation MV first reads the event page and preloads all images used in Show picture command. Therefore using ImageManager before showing every picture is kind of pointless :D Although I understand the point, better safe than sorry.

You also completely forgot about other aspects of coding side. MV is not just about plugins, because somebody has to write plugins. And it's useless to write plugins for everything. That is right, you forgot about the script field :p

Other than that it's just a plain wall of text. MV games are generally stupid for a text based tutorial, because the animated text breaks peoples' focus. When there's nothing happening, the player will lose focus quickly. That's why I interact with players via obstacles and others via tasks. To keep the player engaged. What is worse, the text doesn't have signs of how long it's going to be. So it's like you're talking about this, that, then $gamePlayer something... And then it's over. And what happened?

I cannot give it a passing mark at this state. Of course it is not up to me, but I really can't.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The map does feel more like an individual classroom, but that's not a problem, you're very welcome to your own room! Especially if you'll be joining us for more lessons in the future. ;) (Also depending on whether this project is cancelled, but we live in hope!)

Your character is really fun, and a bit goofy! (And agh, Xenoblade Chronicles is still sitting around on my list to play...)

It's hard to talk about without comparing it to @Poryg's lesson or answering to his points above. For example, what he calls 'wall of text' I would say 'thorough detail'. We have our own ways that we learn best, and whilst some people like to sink their teeth into things and just try them out, others like to have the full explanations and understand things first. I think it's interesting how you've both approached this!

I appreciate that you both wanted to compete, although you've definitely given us a hard time to judge between the two! Ahh, I won't say anything more on the topic for now, there's the extended deadline yet to come. :cutesmile:

SuperMasterSword likes this.
  4. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have ADHD, so that sums up why I hate walls of texts :D
    But yeah, different people have different opinions. Which is why we need others' opinions than just ours :(

SuperMasterSword and Rhino like this.
  5. SuperMasterSword

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rhino I'm still not very far into the game, but so far, I'm not having that much trouble believing it deserves all the praise it gets.
    I'm glad you liked my character! He is a bit of an oddball. He just likes being contradictory to everyone else, so since generally no one wants to be evil, he proclaims himself to be evil even though he's really a nice guy. :ahappy:

Now on the subject of my lesson: I'm generally the kind of person that will read a description, if available, so I can understand what something does without fiddling with settings and comparing the changes, so I like detailed descriptions. I'm glad you saw some merit in my tutorial, because I definitely had some reservations while making it, but I'll go into more detail in Poryg's response below.

@Poryg (can I call you Porygon? No? Worth a shot.)
    Well, there's certainly a lot to unpack here! First of all, thank you for trying out my orientation. Sadly I still haven't gotten a chance to try out yours. (I have an essay to write, as well as regular ADD that only kicks in when I'm forced to do something I dislike. Although I suspect that may be regular person syndrome)
    • About the different kinds of parameters, I suppose I didn't need to explain all of them, but I like being thorough.
    • I honestly don't really know that much about the cache limit because I've never had a memory related crash. I just meant the player probably shouldn't go changing the settings for this project, but I'd be happy to add your information when I have time.
    • I only loaded the pictures that way because that's what they did in Touch's intro.
    • I believe I briefly touched upon the script event command, but truth be told I don't use it that much. Most of my coding experience has been with plugins.
    • Aaaand here's the big one. I had doubts about how text-dump it was but I honestly just couldn't think of any really good ways to make it intractable. I thought about making the player mess with the PluginEditorDemo's parameters and doing something with them, but I didn't really like the idea of making the player restart the game if I didn't have to. Don't know why but it just felt kinda messy to me. I did intend for the player to follow along the lesson with the plugin manager open, but I guess I didn't really make that clear after the point they imported the plugin. I was kinda hoping my goofy character would take a liiittle bit of the boredom off, but admittedly his info-dumping far outweighs his comedy. I was just gonna go on a lesson-by-lesson case and hope I could better make more interactable lessons later.
    Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I hope this project gets the support it needs to continue.

Rhino likes this.
  6. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see :D I use Script field a lot, sometimes for tiny coding, sometimes for full sequences.
    So I've been thorough on that part, while you've been thorough on plugin management... Well, looks like it will indeed not be easy to choose the winner... Although if I transformed my lesson... :D But no, I won't do that now, because I've already invested myself in MV school so much I can't afford to invest more time when its closure is hanging there.

7. SuperMasterSword

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg I see, it's a shame there isn't someone else more balanced. They could be head of the coding department, you could be the event branch, and me the plugin branch. TOGETHER WE'RE TEAM AVAT- wait... I don't think that's right.

8. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah. You're Scifi, I'm Fantasy. You're Plugins, I'm Scripts. Hell dammit, looks like we'll need two leaders xD