[Survey] How many people use the overworld maps in their game?

How many people use the overworld maps in their game?

• Total voters

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Overworld maps are nice but are a thing of the past really very few games use them in replacement of just taking the "sandbox" approach of games like GTA and pushing those map sizes to gargantuan proportions to get results like FF15, Zelda Breath of the wild, or even Red Dead Redemption 2

Another way to accomplish this is SEVERAL smaller chunks of maps that collectively make up the world and each section has its own life to it. Games like FF7-Remake, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 9 do this. My project is based on this style of mapping, One village is about 5-8 maps.

There's so many ways to make the world look big that doing the whole overworld map with miniaturized MC, in my opinion, seems kind of silly and outdated. Unless your going to specifically for a retro feel I don't see its purpose.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@duty, ok, you talk about the resizing for character walking spirits. Thank you. I thought you think like @TheoAllen [When I read the sentence is mean different lol, sorry for a big mistake ], the map with a control path [one-way exit door] and you can click on it, not walk to it.
1597244573445.png1597244680182.png

@Conflictx3, thank you for your input.
One village is about 5-8 maps.
Do you mean like the exterior of the cave tilesets connect together? Or would you refer to it is more complicated? Stared at the maps too long lol and now they mixed together in my mind lol.

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm less a fan of overworld maps and more a fan of the 'overworld' type of map used like in FF12: it's just a map with locations to choose from. FF did this in a few games, mario 3 kinda did this, I can't think of other examples off the top of my head... Anyways, that's what I prefer because many times it achieves the same effects of most traditional overworld maps without having the extra walking times associated with getting from A to B.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo something more complicated, basically everything sectioned, including inside the cave/town

If I were to explain it another way instead of having map 1 = village, map 2 = cave, etc.

I would have:

FOLDER 1 = Village (west side) map, Village (center) map, Village (east side) map.

FOLDER 2 = Cave (Entrance) map, Cave interior 1 map, Cave interior 2 map, Cave interior 3 (boss area) map, Cave (Exit) map

Folder 1 is one village, and folder 2 is one cave but i have multiple maps to detail each section of that village/cave instead of 1 big map that has the entire village/cave.

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Concerning the gross difference in scale between the overworld tiles and the indoor, outdoor and dungeon tiles, one of the games that I am procrastinating with working on with uses ACE sprites on the overworld (in MV), resized ACE sprites anywhere else.

My other game uses sprites from the MV character generator. I tried resizing the sprites to 1/2 length by 1/2 width for the overworld, but didn't like the "social distancing" of the followers. What I ended up doing was to shrink one of the ACE mounted sprites to 24 by 24 pixels, use that for all Actors that may join the party and turn off followers on the overworld.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Gameplay-wise, The overworld map is kinda introducing what enemies you'll have to face inside a dungeon or maybe power level your characters before moving on next story/town/dungeon chapter, etc. If there's no overworld map, I expect some kind of field or an open dungeon.
I will use an overworld map when I decide to use some vehicles like ship or airship as a faster way to travel in the bigger scope game, but none when it's small.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like overworld maps (as in, maps you can explore and walk around in that connect everything together) because I find it thrilling when I find some hidden, out-of-the-way bonus dungeon, a special island/forest/etc with a unique enemy encounter, etc. It also gives a better sense of what the world layout is like.

HOWEVER!

Overworld maps take work to make, so when I see games that don't use them, I can't help but think "less work went into this product." I mean I get it for AAA games, as they've gotten to be quite big and bloaty. However, in smaller RM games that leave it out, the world often feels disjointed and randomly patched together.

On the other hand, it could be that I like them just because I have fonder memories of playing early FF and DQ games than I do playing hacks like FFX-2 or FFXIII.

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Aesica

When did Overworlds take a lot of work to make? If anything, I consider simple Overworlds to be the easy way out of making detailed "transition areas" between towns and dungeons. Maybe I'm biased because mapping is easy and somewhat enjoyable for me, but making an Overworld was always a cakewalk to make if you have a good, general idea of how you want the world to be shaped and if you have a good outline of the locations you can visit.

Transition Areas, on the other hand, take a lot more work. You're basically making a dungeon with less danger and no traps / puzzles. You'd have to come up with a semi-unique theme for each of your Transition Areas or else you'll run the risk of making your locations look too same-y. You'd also have to design some sort of fast travel to reduce the tedium of backtracking between locations (Like warping between Save Crystals, or perhaps having a Carriage/Ship/Train Station system that runs between towns).

As for me, I don't use Overworlds anymore. There's something appealing about Transition Areas that makes them worth the extra work to design.

ADMtn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think overworld maps make games feel smaller. As a player, if a city, mountain, or country isn't visible on the world map, the feeling is that it simply doesn't exist (even if the designer only intends the world map to be mere a representation of key locations, many players will feel that what they can actually see is all that exists). After I see everything on a world map, I generally have a sense of how how the game world is limited and finite.

Not utilizing an overworld map can help to make the player feel like there is more beyond what they see in-game. A place feels larger when you can't see its boundaries.

Of course, what I'm saying isn't going to be true in every case (and is obviously an opinion/theory).

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When did Overworlds take a lot of work to make? If anything, I consider simple Overworlds to be the easy way out of making detailed "transition areas" between towns and dungeons.
Most of the overworld-less games I've seen don't have had little or no transition areas. It's either select-a-destination via some menu/scribble map, or Town A connects almost directly to the next dungeon. The "transition area" is generally like 1 or 2 minimal-work maps that generally make what should be quite a ways away feel relatively close. I guess I just have a hard time imagining what the actual world looks like when all I have to go on is a bunch of connected areas.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It depends on the type of game, I guess. I tend to prefer just fast travelling, simply because I'm that guy who gets lost constantly. It works for open-world games, but not so much for more linear ones like I tend to make.

RayGarden7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are the reasons for using overworld maps? [I understand it is there RPG Maker software.:p I mean another reason. I think is mostly because of convenience and story bound map related. I am guessing as you can see.]
1. Allows a fast travel
2. The story can jump all over the places.
3. create an illusion of a larger game world

Though? Hallucination? Dream? Thank you for sharing the though, new adults, and old adults.

Sorry, another question to throw at you: :distrust:
Is anyone here still like the land transportation or you like to see the characters walk like titans?

Is the question I would like to ask? But the language is kind of strong. Unless you would like to be direct like that.:)
Yeah I just want to be able to move from one point to another but its nice having the option when writing different genres.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RayGarden7, I am not sured if you understand my questions. You like the rpg game where you just wanted from land to land or you think the map world map would interesting approach?
Both of them you have to walk on from one location to another location. But different way to approach the mapping.
Or you think both approach is fine by you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm a bit conflicted. One the one hand, it's quite visually cool to make bodies of water that the player can interact with by going into it. However obscuring the player character from a gameplay perspective is pretty bad. Hmm... There's the option to make the area around the player visible, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of submerging them. :unsure:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Another two plugins done! One being an on map grid inventory.
busy with my newborn child, can't even touch pc at all ;_;
Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 6 Starts NOW! Let's map some caves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lavos