Swapping actors using events or a menu?

Mihnea

C++ adept
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am looking to give the player the ability to choose what characters to venture fourth with. Basically my problem is that I have roughly 12 characters which I wish the player to be able to swap at certain points in the game. (Eg. taverns)
Unfortunately I am unable to find a way to do this, as every time an actor is added to the party another one must be removed. How can I give the player the ability to chose who to swap out? Since the player can have any of the 11 other characters in their party at that moment makes eventing this quite tricky.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
simple: don't try it at the same time.

Make a tavern map (or base map or whatever) where every active party member has an event with three pages "not here/available", "available for hire" and "in party".
The second and third page contain commands to add or remove the actor - you'll have to be careful with the conditions and have to use show choice to ask what the player wants, but no problem.
Make sure that the last actor can't be removed on those events

Then at the exit from the map, you check a condition of how many actors are in the party before leaving.
Basically control variables to get the ID of actor in party position #5. If that ID is zero (no actor) allow to leave. If not then say that the party can't leave because it's too big.

Mihnea

C++ adept
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
simple: don't try it at the same time.

Make a tavern map (or base map or whatever) where every active party member has an event with three pages "not here/available", "available for hire" and "in party".
The second and third page contain commands to add or remove the actor - you'll have to be careful with the conditions and have to use show choice to ask what the player wants, but no problem.
Make sure that the last actor can't be removed on those events

Then at the exit from the map, you check a condition of how many actors are in the party before leaving.
Basically control variables to get the ID of actor in party position #5. If that ID is zero (no actor) allow to leave. If not then say that the party can't leave because it's too big.
Apologies if this is a noobish question, but how can I get the ID of the actor in a certain position? And wouldn't it be possible to use this function to get the id of a party member in a certain position then remove them?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, that question means that you almost never used the control variable command, because that is one of the many game data options available inside control variable. In short, you need to open the game data section, the one that defaults to map ID, to the next window.

However I strongly suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and at least play through the "variables guide" linked there because you can't make a quest that is more complex than "go there" without using and understanding variables.

As for your second question - theoretically yes, but due to the limits of the change member command that would require a much more complex trtee of conditional branches to work. I consider it easier to use the chack for maximum.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically, I know there are 4 similar plugins. But none of them can be used well, some have serious bugs that cannot be used normally, and some have compatibility problems (perhaps for me)
And their authors may not update anymore.
We still can’t intuitively select the actor we need through the menu, but can only create events, set branch conditions, approach an event again and again, and then click the button to trigger the event.
Such a clumsy way
Maybe people don’t need to swap actors, so this type of plugin is not welcome

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically, I know there are 4 similar plugins. But none of them can be used well,
I don't know which plugins you're talking about, but one problem is that different people have different ideas of what something means.
The best example for this are Tsukihime's and Yanfly's Party Managers. Boths scripts got exactly the same name, but were for entirely different things - NONE of which were adding or switching party members.

Tsukihime's Party Manager was for managing parties - plural as in handling multiple groups of different parties each consisting of different or identical actors, each having their own inventories and so on. With that script you could switch between parties on command and more.

Yanfly's Party manager was for managing a single party, deciding which members were in reserve or battlemembers and locking actors to be forced in one position and more. Basically it was an advanced formation screen and as such never intended to handle adding or removing party members - unfortunately a lot of people assumed that placing an actor in the reserve with that plugin removed it from the party, which was never true as the party was always both battlemembers and reserve added together.

So far I have NEVER seen a single script or plugin for handling the adding and removing of party members, that was always done by events. There were some scripts for creating dynamic actors that required script commands to add and remove those actors, but again that was not the main purpose of those scripts. Those commands were only added because dynamically created actors can never be handled by events.

So the OP should be better with using a special map and events to handle this problem.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar
Yes, I know their functions, although yanfly's plug-in can manage combat players and reserve players. But there are no restrictions on the use of skills, etc. You can use the skills of reserve players at any time, and you cannot separate them, which brings great difficulty in balancing for games that use many actors. This is its only drawback.

The extension plug-in of hime's team system is this type of plug-in. In fact, it is to make a function similar to the item warehouse, placing unnecessary actors, which can balance the game more conveniently. But it has a bug that causes the game to crash. That is, if you have already joined the largest combat team member, you will crash when you click the join command. If you are careful, you can also use it.

In addition, there are monster storage boxes, there are some small bugs, it is a bit cumbersome to use, but it can be used.

The team management recently released by TWings is the tavern. There seems to be a BUG at present. I don’t know if it will be updated.

Kanji's team system, Japanese plug-in, compatibility may not be good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Where do i have to play Heisei Pistol Show the same creator that made Re: Kinder Parun
I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carrydeos50