Switch Puzzle Help Please!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by ToriKlepto, Nov 13, 2016.

1. ToriKlepto

ToriKlepto Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Someone please help. I only recently purchased VX Ace and am having a hard time with more difficult events. I wanted to create a puzzle room with four switches that would work kind of like in Skyrim. By moving one switch, it would move the others. The player would need to find the right pattern to unlock the door (shown by the glowing animation). However, I realized that it would be far too difficult. Instead, I tried to find a tutorial for a similar puzzle and found this one: http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/golden-week-tutorial-ordered-switch-puzzle/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gwtswitch

I believe I followed the instructions correctly but my puzzle still does not work at all! Only one switch was able to be messed with out of four. Here is what the puzzle room looks like. What am I doing wrong?

puzzle room3.png

puzzle room2.png

puzzle room.png

2. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I've moved this thread to RPG Maker VX Ace Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That seems like a very sloppy way of doing it. And very confusing. 

Try this: 

First Switch - Action Button Trigger:

Conditional Branch: Variable 1 == 0

Control Variables: Variable 1 += 1

Control Self Switches: A == ON

Else

Play SE: Buzzer

Control Switches: Fail == ON

Branch End

Next page - Parallel Process Trigger:

Conditional Branch: Fail == ON

Control Self Switches: A == OFF

Branch End

Second Switch - Same thing:

Conditional Branch: Variable 1 == 1

Control Variables: Variable 1 += 1

Control Self Switches: A == ON

Else

Play SE: Buzzer

Control Switches: Fail == ON

Branch End

#You get the idea of this, right? 

Results - Parallel Process Trigger: 

Conditional Branch: Switches == 4

#Anything you want. 

Branch End

4. ToriKlepto

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for responding! I am a very visual learner and text by itself is rather hard for me to interpret. Would you mind displaying your solution in the program? Thank you again.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ToriKlepto Please do not quote whole posts simply to indicate who you are replying to.  It makes the page slow to load and slower to scroll down - especially for those who are accessing this on their phones.  If you want to make it clear who you are answering, just use the @username convention as I have done on this post.

Thanks

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know you said "like in Skyrim" but that means the only people who can help you are the people who've played Skyrim.  I haven't, so that means nothing to me.

What is the mechanic you're looking for?  At what point do the switches reset (or don't they)?  What happens if the first switch is in the wrong order - should there be a buzzer sound?  What happens if the first switch is correct, but the second one is not - should there be a buzzer sound and should both switches reset?  If the player presses the first and second switch correctly, can they go and press the first switch again?  What happens then - does the order get messed up and do all the switches reset?  Do they have to do all 4 switches before they get any indication whether they got it right?  (could be a very long puzzle then, as that's 9999 combinations of switches and they'd have no idea which ones are right/wrong).

I'm sure there is a much easier way to do it than either the tutorial or the suggestion above, but it depends on whether the player can reset the switches or at what point they get reset automatically.

7. ToriKlepto

First Language:
    English
    @Shaz Thank you for replying, however, I don't care about the Skyrim idea anymore. At this point, I just would like a puzzle similar to the tutorial previously mentioned. I want four switches. The player has to press each switch in the correct order. After all four are pressed, the program should be able to tell whether or not the switches were pressed in the correct order. If so, door unlocks. If not, then it resets all four switches.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, if the player can't turn any switches back off again, this is going to be super easy to do.

I'm going to make a tutorial and I'll post the link here when it's done.

9. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If Shaz is gonna do it you hare in good hands.

Anyway be careful when applying the method displayed above. I might have missed something but that doesn't seem to allowba reset for $game_variables[1], which will prevent the player from trying a second time.

Anyway I would do it using self switches and only a single variable. You can do it without using any variable at all but that would require very long checks for condition branches so I would rather avoid that.

Anyway if Shaz doesn't have time I can send you screenshots as soon as I get my hands on a computer :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
    Shaz likes this.
  10. ToriKlepto

First Language:
    English
    @Shaz Thank you very much! I appreciate the help.

@Heirukichi Thank you as well. You guys are all very helpful and nice.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here you go:

There's a lot there, but I've gone into a lot of detail with the explanations and have shown a lot of screenshots.  You can skip the alternate version of step 5, which is probably the most complicated of all the steps, as it's not needed for your purposes.

Heirukichi likes this.
  12. ToriKlepto

First Language:
    English
    @ShazThank you! It worked. I appreciate it. Solved.

Shaz likes this.