Psykai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Greetings! I've encountered a very frustrating problem that has come out of nowhere and I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it.

My game works a little like the old Mario games in that there's a 'world' screen with portals which you walk over and select in order to play levels. At the end of each level is a boss who is guarding the exit portal. Once you enter that portal, it will transport the party back to level select and unlock the next level in that world based on a switch.

For example, Level 1's exit portal has the following:
PAGE ONE [Below Characters, Action Button]
@> Control Switches: [0001:W1L1 Complete] = ON
@> Play SE: 'Magic2', 80, 130
@> Recover All: Entire Party
@> Transfer Player:[004:Level Select - World 1] (012,019), Down, White

And Level 2's ENTRANCE portal has the following
PAGE ONE:
- Just a black portal graphic
PAGE TWO (Condition: Switch 0001:W1L1 Complete = On) [Below Characters, Action Button]
@>Play SE: 'Magic2', 80, 130
@>Transfer Player:[006:Level 2] (034,182), Up, White
@> Change Battle BGM: 'BGML2'

This functions perfectly without a single problem. However, level 2's EXIT portal isn't functioning properly but I don't understand why because it is literally identical to Level 1's (copy pasted) except that Level 2's exit portal turns on the [0002:W1L2 Complete] Switch On instead and Level 3's entrance portal requires that switch to be turned on. Literally all I changed was making sure the correct level's switch is turned on and required. For some reason though, the Level 2 exit portal either isn't turning the switch on, or it is being instantly turned off afterwards. I've used F9 to check and the switch is definitely off after using the portal.

The strange thing is, this switch was working fine too, but now suddenly it's not, and I have no idea what's caused it because I haven't been doing anything related to the switches or portal. I've looked all over the game to see if I accidentally made some other process or event that messes with the switch, but there isn't. I wish there was a way within RPG Maker to see every event that references a specific switch, but I'm 99% certain that there isn't one since these two portals are the one and only time I'd ever need to reference the switch at all and thus I'm at a total loss as to why it won't turn on, or if/why it's being turned off straight away, especially when the other level portals work just fine.

I can't imagine it being a script issue but here's the obligatory list anyway:
- Raizen's Triple Triad
- MOG_Battle_Hud_Ex
- MOG_Damage_Popup
- Minimum Damage (Unknown Author)
- Yanfly Instant Cast
- Yanfly Party Select
- No Junk Boxes (Unknown Author)
- Yanfly Target Manager
- Sixth's Target One Ally

I wish I could provide more info somehow as I can't imagine anyone having a clue based on the limited info I can give :( I really hope this can be fixed 'cause naturally this is game-breaking and if I can't fix this stupid switch/portal I'm going to have to cancel the whole project and kiss weeks of work goodbye :(

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's very hard to diagnose the problem just reading about it and being unable to tinker with it, but have you tried using a different set of switches instead? The best guess I can come up with off the top of my head is a plug-in automatically turning switch 2 off (or perhaps a parallel running event or something). Maybe try it with switch 3 or 4 and see if the same issue arises?

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hard to say without any pics. Here's a suggestion: Have a common event on parallel process with a wait command of 1 or 2 frames. After that do a script call with this inside:

p $game_switches[2]

or whatever switch it is you're testing. Keep the console visible while you're playtesting, and you'll see when it's triggered on or off. It'll just say "true" for when it's ON, and "false" for when it's OFF.
Now you'll at least have a vague timeline of when it turns back off

Just don't forget to delete the common event once you've found the problem, it'll slow down your game

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If your claim is true, and you are absolutely sure you didn't mess with the switch anywhere else, it's probably script issue...

I just checked that Raizen's Triple Triad script. It access 2 switch to control button activation and and pop-up. And specifically the switch used for Activation by click forced the preset switch to be always turned off if it's not used for specific event.

eventing.JPG

If not that one, check out another of your script that require switch uses.

Last edited:

Psykai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah yeah it is actually switch 5 that the portal uses (I just wrote '2' in the OP since I didn't think the number mattered at the time). I have just tried using a different switch and sure enough that one worked so I'll just rename Switch 5 "Triad B*stard" and never touch it again XD lol.

Thanks for that :) Sorry it was something so dumb :/

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
.... OR you can just simply change the number in the script.
Keep in mind that Booster + Pop-up one also access your switch ID. Although it doesn't forced the switch, it still toggle the pop-up (I don't know what pop-up it's referring to)

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@eddy86ita , please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

This thread is two years old, and you're talking about MV while the thread is about Ace! If you need help, please make your own thread in the right section.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I count on someone one time, I let them promise something to me, and one week later it's complete silence as I'm completely let down. I hate everything.
Everytime I need to write dialogues I find myself writing new music pieces... what kind of trick is this?!
Me Being Dumb spending hrs trying to figure out Irenas Visual Novel busts plugin..lol. I'm probably missing something stupid and obvious xDD

let the journey begin >w>
X.X ok... I guess I'll just have to think about 48x48 a little differently. Its not "room for more work"..."its room for more detail!...yay"
Alexa, play Buck-Tick - Dress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraufen