shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So the last time I worked on my project, I spent a lot of time trimming it down and ended up with nothing really in the game outside of a small map that needed to be expanded. The majority of my game currently exists in a text document. Up until this point I've been working with MV, but I'm starting to prefer the mapping potential that comes with XP as well as the smaller resolution which makes doing custom graphics easier. So I want to know, what are the community's thoughts on changing the version of RPG Maker that you use if you're in early stages of development to make use of specific features even if you're losing out on others?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Consider that I started my game in 2001 in rm2k, and it's now in development in MV and I haven't finished it yet. :p

AbyssalDarkness

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well maybe it's just me but, I would understand a change to a better version, but wouldn't understand why you'd go backwards.

Don't get me wrong XP was my favorite maker of them all for a lot of reasons. The first being manual Layering of maps & some other left-overs like screen transition. I also prefer the tall sprites but I think the bundled battlers are awful.

But I think that MV has nothing to Envy to its predecessors, its faster, more powerful, easier to use on the script side of things, its more "capable" of a ton of things, it seems much easier to test compatibility & debug so far. To me the down side of all makers have always been, why the hell can't we Change the screen Resolution/Tile size from the program with a simple option, and to me who ever "invented" the concept of "auto-layering" should stay far away from coding "editing" softwares.
(More Control>Automation, just imagine if gimp or photoshop would pull that out and say: hey you don't need all those layers, let us decide for you.)

All those things are easily fixed with plugins. All in all I just think MV can do everything XP does and better, but XP can't do all that MV does.

As for the smaller resolution, maybe I'm wrong but I think you can downsize the tile size of MV with Plugins and Messing with its resolution is pretty easy with plugins such as YEP_Core_Engine

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I demoed (and purchased) VX, but am primarily an MV user. I don't really think it matters much... advocates of each can give you reasons to use their preference and rebut the arguments against for years and years... long past the time another version comes out and the process starts all over again.
To me the bigger question isn't "should I switch versions" regardless whether you are going forward or backward... The more important question is, "which version will I finish in???"

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV can't do everything XP does. XP has the best map editor, hands down. Everything after is just horrible. One of my greatest wishes is that an upgrade would take us back to the XP maps, but I know it's not going to happen. 2 steps forward in everything else, 1 step back in mapping.

I also considered switching from Ace to XP just for the mapping, and would totally understand if you decided to go that way. In the end, MV won out, but only because of my Change Tile Size plugin and Yanfly's Doodads. I still fully expect mapping to be a painful nightmare.

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
MV can't do everything XP does. XP has the best map editor, hands down. Everything after is just horrible. One of my greatest wishes is that an upgrade would take us back to the XP maps, but I know it's not going to happen. 2 steps forward in everything else, 1 step back in mapping.

I also considered switching from Ace to XP just for the mapping, and would totally understand if you decided to go that way. In the end, MV won out, but only because of my Change Tile Size plugin and Yanfly's Doodads. I still fully expect mapping to be a painful nightmare.
And that's my biggest concern, I've had enough time to map with MV to know it's better than vxace but still far inferior to XP. Even though I prefer the graphical style of MV for me XP just does maps so much better.
I dunno, what I might do is take some time to map a bit with each and see which turnout I prefer. Since I'm only really having one big map everything else follows pretty easily afterwards.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's important to equip your GF.
vufFBXN.gif
Day 2 of my redesign journey, as a follow up from the previous post :kaothx:
pXiRJSm.jpg

This is Cedric's son, Apollo!
New pet peeve: Telling tech support personnel what something is doing, only for them to tell me (in excessively condescending tones) what it should be doing. Yes, I know what it should be doing, and if it was doing that, I wouldn’t be talking to you and your attitude problem about it right now, would I? >.<
uglywolf wrote on Khulse's profile.
Hello.
The rules I makes pun about on your last thread is about "Verify Files" before anything else, if the stuff comes from STEAM. Which means, if it could be fixed with just that, there is no need to redownload the whole stuff.
But glad the reinstall worked, hope you enjoy it and your days too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gjwldl97