Sylvant (Demo v1.2 now out!)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by The_Trinity, Jan 16, 2016.

1. StrangeJake

StrangeJake Dreadwyrm Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm starting my own journey. Want to see what others are putting together. I'll post a review in the next day or two when I have some time to play through it!

2. Inmento Riku

Inmento Riku Angel of Darkness/Demon of Light Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Just downloaded the demo now as what you provided interested me. I'm excited to play this and I shall provide feedback after I complete the demo (Can you ever actually complete something that itself isn't actually completed?)

General thoughts of the game before playing it: Looks well done, everyone is adorable, and what you wrote for story even interests me. (And I usually hate reading :p )

3. Inmento Riku

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    So I actually got stuck. DX, I don't think that has ever happened to me. I see the crack in the wall by the pub...but how do I get to it? There's a bush in the way blocking access to it. D:<

Oh and one minor thing, in my opinion.

Did you have to the slimes so extremely annoying? xD I mean I always have auto-dash on...but overworld bumping into 2 slimes 8 times on the way to the castle and having Luke die once...DX...Luke noo...now Vader has won (Whoops...wrong game Inmento. :p )

Overall though, besides being stuck and the slimes, I love it so far. If I manage to get the demo done (Unless this was the ending area) I'll probably edit this.

Highest Regards,

The Angel of Darkness/The Demon of Light

4. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Oh no! Can you not walk through the bush? I don't remember changing any bush passability between the initial release and the patch. I might have done it on accident though. That's the first time anyone has brought it up. And yea, I've gotten told by others that the world map spawn rate is too high. That'll be lowered in the next patch.

5. Inmento Riku

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    The bush is not passable no.

The spawn rate I'm a little fine with now...I went back to the beginning forest and got Luke and Chara to level 6...so the Slimes do not anger me any more. 

I got stuck cause of a bush. That has only happened once (And I still got in it)

I was trying to get home and took the wrong shortcut okay..sheesh dirty minded people :p

6. The_Trinity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok. I'll fix that and upload a patch tomorrow for everyone.

7. Inmento Riku

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Take your time.

I honestly didn't spend 3 hours trying to find an item or spell that used fire to see if I had to burn the bush.

Alright I lied. I did spend that much time. But it was kinda fun.

8. The_Trinity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Demo v1.2 is out with more bug fixes!

We're also now on Gamejolt! And we have a gameplay teaser trailer! (The demo is also now hosted from their website.)

Also put up redone screenshots that I fiddled with in Gimp.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
  9. Inmento Riku

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Yay! Always exciting to see an amazing work being updated and redone.

10. The_Trinity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

:o

I don't think its that amazing myself, (probably cause I'm the one who's made it) but thank you so much! I mean, even though its made with RTP, I try my best. I just want to make something I can be proud of, and sort of show that the default graphics can make a great game if used by the right person. 

11. zakattack1989

zakattack1989 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Hey there I was going to download the demo but the file size is massive for a demo. I realise MV doesn't really do small file sizes but I'm sure I've heard of a plug in that can help remove some files and reduce the file size. (Off the top of my head I can't remember the name I think it's MV stripper or something like that) Link HERE! Otherwise keep up the good work, it's pretty brave going for all RTP as a lot of people are very graphics orientated. (not me) If you manage to reduce the file size of the demo I'll give it a go, just let me know when it's updated or something. PEACE!

12. The_Trinity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Yea, its large. Because it contains all the default assets. I need to shrink it down, I know. I'm planning to shrink it down eventually, probably at the next demo release.

13. zakattack1989

zakattack1989 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Kool I will be waiting for any updates! I can't remember when compressing MV games whether there's a check box for including RTP data but if there is, unchecking the box makes the file size a lot smaller. Only draw back is people will need MV RTP to play the game. Hope this helps.

14. Inmento Riku

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Well...you should think that it is amazing. Cause it is.

15. Shaddow

Shaddow Scriptlet Nooblet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Demo downloaded, I'm interested. The story seems somewhat generic from what I read but the characters look very like-able and the art is amazing. I might actually be in love. I will be watching this, it looks like it has a lot of potential.

Edit: Okay just started but I've noticed something that can be a big turn off for some. Your initial enemies. For one, poison on your first outing is very very bold, not to mention annoying, even if you do give out free antidotes. two, groups of 3 or more enemies who take 2-3 hits each is a major balance issue that early in the game. I want to be able to explore, not have to run back and heal every couple of minutes due to annoying enemies.

I like where you are going, but battle balance should be something you focus on in your next update.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  16. Inmento Riku

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    Actually if you stay in the forest where you got your second/first character, you won't have such a hard time with later enemies. I went up to I think level 10 just because the enemies on the way to the castle caused me to have several game overs...but I also never really try fighting things...unless I know a boss is coming up and I am under leveled.

^ And that kids is how NOT to play any of the Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, or Kingdom Hearts games.

17. The_Trinity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I understand where you're coming from there. I made the area in mind that the player acquires Chara first then explores the area. I am planning on rebalancing the game in the next update because not everyone is going to know or want to find where all the hidden items are. I want to make the game more enjoyable for people who want to explore all the area (such as yourself) and those who don't want to spend time finding the hidden items. Which there are 4 in total in the first two forest       areas. Thank you for your input, and yes, I will be addressing that.

18. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Your feature list has me extremely interested. I've always felt like a lot of RPGs have too big of a scale for you to genuinely care about saving the world or whatever the endgoal is, and a big part of why that's the case is because NPC's are essentially exposition dumps a lot of the time (or in Earthbound's case, jokes!). Having a small cast of characters/set of locales that evolve along with you is something I'm trying to do in my own work, and I'm glad that other people are trying to figure out how to update how RPG structure works in an era where many games live and die on writing.

However, feel free to, even at this stage, be open about plot twists, especially if they're things that will show that your setting isn't generic. As of now it feels very...standard, but possibly fairly well-done RPG. Having ideas in your head alone doesn't really help anything, and exposing them to air lets other people decide whether they are or aren't good ideas in the first place. A lot of budding artists tend to worry about losing their originality or being heckled beyond recognition when they show off their ideas for a project, and while it's pretty bad form to just say you have an idea for a game, you're already working on one, so you've passed your first hurdle!

Also your logo is extremely hard to read and you should change that. It might just be because I'm somewhat colorblind, though.

19. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Personally, I think that showing the player that the game isn't going to mess around with difficulty by throwing status effects at the player isn't a bad idea, and is definitely a bold move when the standard First Enemy is "hit once/twice, it dies.". However, if  the player is nearly hitting Game Over after every encounter, that might really deplete player morale. It's late right now, but I'm planning on giving the demo a play through tomorrow to see how its difficulty curve is.

20. The_Trinity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have an update~

No, not the actual v2 demo update, that'll be out at the end of the week.

I wanted to show some progress I've made. First off, long gone is the nasty default game font. I'm using a new one now that I just absolutely love and fits perfect with the game. Also, I've created a new color pallet and made a new menu hud that more compliments the battlehud I'm using for a smoother transition between overworld and battle; it also pulls cohesion more. I've also added new scripts, and tweaked them and existing ones. I've got some screenshots to show you guys the progress. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marsigne likes this.