Sync Save Data

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

In RPG Maker, all of the game data is isolated within each save file.

This means that you can turn on a switch in one game, save the game, then load up another game, and see that the switch is still off.

However, there may be times when you want to turn on a switch in one game and have it turn on for other games as well. In particular, you might want to be able to be able to record the value of this switch during the title screen.

With this plugin, you can specify that certain data will be "synchronized", which means if you change the value in one game, all other save files as well as the title screen will be affected as long as you save the game.

Note that data will only be synchronized during the save process. Simply turning on a switch does not mean it will be turned on everywhere else.

More information and downloads available at HimeWorks

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Fantastic!  This will solve a lot of peoples' problems with trying to create things like a New Game Plus.  Also love the idea to name Switches/Variables with since they can't be notetagged.  I hope lots of people will answer questions with links to this script. :)

Other uses besides New Game Plus could be in-game Rewards/Achievements, High Score tracking, and in-game setting of Options.  Hmmm... what else could we use synced data for?

Just spitballing a bit here - possible things to add in the future might be syncing for certain Inventory Items, or a compatible script that changes the title screen and its options based on the values of a synced switch/variable/item.

BTW, I noticed the script's terms of use say "Contact me for commercial use" which is different than the terms of use you recently announced on your Website.  Might need to fix or clarify.

Thanks for this great script!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Fantastic!  This will solve a lot of peoples' problems with trying to create things like a New Game Plus.  Also love the idea to name Switches/Variables with since they can't be notetagged.  I hope lots of people will answer questions with links to this script. :)

Other uses besides New Game Plus could be in-game Rewards/Achievements, High Score tracking, and in-game setting of Options.  Hmmm... what else could we use synced data for?
Yes, anything that requires some sort of global tracking of data would work well.
One of the drawbacks with this plugin is you don't have much control over when and how the data is sync'd. Once you save your game, it will go and sync everything. So if you turned off a switch, it will be turned off everywhere. So there's no "conditional sync" where if you turn a switch ON, then it is ON everywhere, but if you turn it back off, nothing happens.

I'm currently designing a plugin that would give you more control over when the data is actually saved.

For example, let's say you had your achievement system. There are two types of achievements

1. Global achievements - these track all of the achievements you've unlocked across all save files

2. in-game achievements - these are the achievements you unlocked in that game

If you actually needed each game to have their own achievements, sync'ing wouldn't work here, because it is global everywhere. You would need a different set of tools to be able to make this distinguish.

Of course, there are games where all data from other save files should be transferred into the current save file, so sync'ing would be appropriate for that since you don't need to worry about having to run an event to sync the global data yourself.

Just spitballing a bit here - possible things to add in the future might be syncing for certain Inventory Items, or a compatible script that changes the title screen and its options based on the values of a synced switch/variable/item.
I don't have any use cases in mind for how inventory can be synchronized, since your project could have multiple inventories, or each actor might have their own inventory, and so on. So it gets a bit complex. I like the idea of being able to synchronize actors and inventories and anything else, but it's unclear how it might work.
For title-screen, one could potentially just build it using events, which can make use of the sync data.

BTW, I noticed the script's terms of use say "Contact me for commercial use" which is different than the terms of use you recently announced on your Website.  Might need to fix or clarify.

Thanks for this great script!!
Oh ya, I did have that in my plugins. Will need to update them since I just copy/paste from a template.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."
Been so busy lately that I wonder if I should slowly start preparing the advent calendar resources so I have enough in december.
Man, I wish it was harder for mean d-holes to make me feel like crying.
Made 8 games. Was aiming for 20. Gonna go for 40. Because 20 + 20. /Bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KINGty