Synchronicity; a small-ish scale, Mother series inspired game in need of a team!

Ari3s

Game Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Open Positions

As the title entails, Synchronicity is a game with heavy inspiration from the Mother/EarthBound series (among other sources) that I want to make using RPG Maker VX Ace. But again, as the title entails, there's a not so teeny tiny, little problem. I need help. I have little to no experience with scripting to the scale that this game would require, and even the little experience I do have wouldn't help me, because it's with JavaScript, not Ruby. On top of that, while I'm an avid artist, and I've been drawing for as long as I can remember, I'm not the best at Pixel Art. I dabble in it, but I'd rather have someone with more skill and experience with it.

Other help needed would be mapping and eventing. I'm also looking for help with writing and music, though not on as large of a scale. I've already written/formed the base plot of the game, it's really just a matter of help with word choice in dialogue, to help characters stay in character. Music is even less so, since out of eagerness and planning ahead I've already made a lot of it. The music ranges from original pieces I throw together, and remixes of other music; whether it be from other games, remixes of music from artists like Marilyn Manson, or Soft Cell, or classical pieces. But regardless I'd love help with the music from one or two other people, y'know, to expand the music style of the game.

About the Game

So here I'll go a bit more into detail about the game itself; plot, themes, story, etc. But before we get into the juicy details, I'll say right off the bat that I can't provide any screenshots of the game, because it's in the earliest stages of development; planning and concept. All I have done thus far would be the basics of the plot, some concept art, and —as I mentioned—a handful of music. So I'll provide what I can. Another thing before we get into it is a bit of content warning. I do plan on covering some heavier themes and tones; those being politics, death (obviously), LGBT characters, abuse by family members, vulgar/obscene language and content, inappropriate/bathroom humor, gore, and suicide. So if you're uncomfortable with any of that stuff you may want to think twice about signing up for this, or make a 180 all together. Moving on.

The story starts off with a cheesy premise, some spiteful old witch casts a curse on Great Grizzly—a town that parodies Big Bear Lake, in California, US of A—just as she takes her last breath while on her death bed; unleashing all kinds of monsters and demons from the underworld into the town. However, as all games with horror undertones do, it doesn't stay this way. As the main characters and high school students Rick Razure, Andre Franks, and Darryn Vano(reluctantly) attempt to make things right again, they uncover a plot much bigger then them. Eli Baxter, an old, washed up rock star from the late 80s, and early 90s, just so happens to be in the town as all this occurs; performing at the very highschool these boys attend. Having out lived his band mates, and being in an era that's moved on from those like him years ago, he's at the end of his ropes. Just barely held together by the small gigs he takes, and a contract with his record label, he longs to be back in the spotlight he once occupied all those years ago. So he and his label hatch a plan that takes full advantage of the creatures that have quickly taken over the town. While it may be a rather...legally ambiguous plan, if he succeeds, he'll get exactly what he wants and more, completely scot-free.

All of this gets coated over with a happy go lucky paint job, held up by humor, music very reminiscent of the SNES days, and a turn based battle system.

I know this is A LOT, so thanks to those who made it to this little end note. And an even bigger thanks to anyone who apply for any of the jobs.

The only screenshot I can provide, which is just part of one of the songs for the game. If you can figure out the notes, have fun playing it.

Screenshot_2016-10-06-10-24-23.png

Last edited by a moderator:

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can write and event. Also, on desperate measures, do some art / pixel art ( You can check my post "No longer earth" down here) 

I'm no pro, but willing to help.

Ari3s

Game Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can write and event. Also, on desperate measures, do some art / pixel art ( You can check my post "No longer earth" down here) 

I'm no pro, but willing to help.

Oh, awesome! Could definitely use help with eventing. But write as in plot writing, or writing code?

Oh, and also, bumping this post.

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Plot writing, sorry. 

Ari3s

Game Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

It's all good, don't worry. But yeah, if you're interested in the position then yeah to tally, could definitely use help with eventing, and having someone else lend a hand with writing could be useful for helping fill any missing patches of story, or plot holes. Just PM me and we can talk more details.

(EDIT: Not sure what's going on with that quote business, that was unintentional.)

wintyrbarnes

Jack of a Few Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This sounds super interesting, count me in (if you want me :p ). Writing dialogue is probably my strongest skill and I've been published twice in short comic anthologies (as a writer), but I've also written poetry and prose. I'm not a coder but I have a lot of experience with noodling with events and scripting, to a degree, and I'm really good at troubleshooting. 

I also have a short, really unpolished but story-wise completed game I made, but the site it's hosted on is having a DNS problem so nobody can access it. :\ I can also do a little bit with messing around with sprites in an image editor, and I can splice tilesets together. My maps probably aren't anything to write home about, but I can at least make a decent, functional map. 

My profile says MV, but that's only what I currently use, and I have experience with VX Ace as well. 

(For what it's worth, I'm LGBT as well.)

Ari3s

Game Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see. Well that all sounds great, really. And I'd love to have you on board. If you have any means of communication like Skype, then feel free to just send me the info via PMs, so we can talk more details through those means.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Preparing untested English localization for DOWNFALLEN.

unknown-43.png
Sometimes I wonder if I feature creep... 225 magic spells is a lot lol.
Being hit with nostalgia for something that's gone is both a great thing and so sad.

But being a creative means having ideas for bringing stuff back to life, which can be frustrating and rewarding in it's own right.
the urge to comment helpful things on forum posts but not using the same engine
It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to. The best b-day present I could have is if my mapper came back. No idea where he went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KAINOS