Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Codex_Test 23_08_2020 6_27_20 pm.png

Most likely this is going to be a commercial type script for reasons:

• I do not wish to see this implemented in any low effort game. Usually, when a person invests resources into a game, they expect quality themselves. A quality standard game is what this script is designed for use with.
  • I will not have time to accommodate massive amounts of personal requests. I have a job which means that I have far higher limitations on the time I can extend towards plugin writing.
  • This script may include features in future revisions which I would prefer to obtain from persons who would have taken the time to use the script with their project and see how it 'fits' rather than a random person who merely plugs in the script and expects it to write the game for them.

Latest Devlog

Updates regularly posted on my Twitter Account.

Last edited:

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but... does it real time or turn base
the strong point of that system is fast pace

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but... does it real time or turn base
the strong point of that system is fast pace
It's both.

Turn based because of the gauge, real time because while the gauge is filling (and even if full) actions happen freely.

Lay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, great job.

I can't imagine the work it requires to implement such a thing over the default rmmv engine.

btw, I'm a bit confused about the name you gave to this thread and what the plugin does. It seems that this plugin is more likely a battle system plugin, in this case a tactical battle system. Grid battle makes me think more about a targeting system (something similar to yanfly row formation per example).

Curious to see how this plugin will evolved ! you're great.

Lay.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, great job.

I can't imagine the work it requires to implement such a thing over the default rmmv engine.

btw, I'm a bit confused about the name you gave to this thread and what the plugin does. It seems that this plugin is more likely a battle system plugin, in this case a tactical battle system. Grid battle makes me think more about a targeting system (something similar to yanfly row formation per example).

Curious to see how this plugin will evolved ! you're great.

Lay.
It's not really a select your enemy type of system, it's a projectile grid system similar to Megaman battle network.

Thanks for the well wishes on the other hand. Even with this post, I still can't really see the end point as being near haha...

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Development of this script has been paused for 2 reasons.
1) RPG Maker MZ? Is going to be released and I figure developing for that platform would be better.

2) My comp basically crashed and whilst I do have a back up, the backup is rather out dated.

Anyways, see you all for MZ

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont take MZ, but I hope you get this plugin done for MV though, or at least in a function state.
it looks pretty nice though, specially if you can input the grid, 3x3, 4x4, 4x3
or to a max of 5x5? or similair. nicely done though =)

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont take MZ, but I hope you get this plugin done for MV though, or at least in a function state.
it looks pretty nice though, specially if you can input the grid, 3x3, 4x4, 4x3
or to a max of 5x5? or similair. nicely done though =)
Was going to redo the whole thing given that it's pretty outdated and my experience with code was new when I started this so yeah, I'll see if I can give it a shot. No guarantees tho because tbh, you can't use MV or from what I'm seeing of MZ, the native constructed battle system and I'd have to scrap the whole native battle system and reconstruct the elements

If the core scripts are similar enough, because it doesn't look that different, it should be cross compatible with minor edits

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, here's a long over due update.

1) Rudimentary collision system implemented. It's still a work in progress because i need to work out how to interpret each sprite object in the battle scene.

2) Framework for battle skills implemented. A work in progress still as i have to now redesign the windows and possibly delete a few to prevent clutter. Developers can define a maximum for how many skills can be equipped but the inventory length is the length of the database skill list.

3) Side view enemies implemented. Battle enemies have their own motions. Enemy movement patterns are still a work in progress and i may have to reference other scripts to allow developers to write code within enemy notetag box. Or I can forgo that and simply write an extension script that allows players to write movement paths from the plugin editor. This is still under consideration.

4) By request, I have moved the player to the left side of the screen. Be that as it may, the developers can still decide to have the players on the right side of the screen but with this re-write of this script, this is a work in progress.

5) No plugin editor code has been written as yet to bolster development speed of the script. While this isnt an issue on its own, it indicates that so far this script is looking at over 3~4k lines.

6) I have been asked if this is turn based or if enemies and players move automatically with skill input. It is not. This is a sprite based system and as such, almost all factors of this combat system are player dependent after initial development. I still have to work on the implementation of skill formulae as well as rework EX and SP parameters so these are a while off.

7) It is possible to change battle arena size between 3*6, 4*8 and 5*10. Arena size influences the max number of enemies. There are bugs to work out regarding this.

8) Framework for battle arena size change (area steal) and grid effects implemented. Code is inert as there are still a good bit of functions to be written.

9) Multiple actor game party is not implemented. Not even the framework for it exists yet. The problem isn't the possibility, it is the fact that a gross amount of new functions need to be written.

10) Overall, my main concerns will be the collision system and how it functions under pressure (or bullet hell).

Well, ill try to upload some screenshots later but for now, this is it.

This script is no where near completion as of now but when it is, depending on how MZ works, it should be possible to cross implement it. Haven't gotten around to ordering it yet....

Any questions and concerns?

so1us

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
This plugin looks super interesting! Looks like a very difficult feature set to pull off in RPG Maker the realtime component but if it works it would be a great addition to the combat possibilities in RM!

Will follow the development and best of luck!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope you can aim for MV first, so far I know, MV and MZ javascript wont work though,
if you build it in ES5, MZ only use ES6, but can be ES5 compitable.

MV and MZ cant be cross though, it require a different coding for MZ,
so I hope you get it done for MV and check later if you want to port it to MZ.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope you can aim for MV first, so far I know, MV and MZ javascript wont work though,
if you build it in ES5, MZ only use ES6, but can be ES5 compitable.

MV and MZ cant be cross though, it require a different coding for MZ,
so I hope you get it done for MV and check later if you want to port it to MZ.
Definitely doing MV first so no worries.

Doing a port has checks which need consideration.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Latest Devlog

So far I have not posted a 'True' development Log with regards to this script.

The Synrec Grid Battle Library is a live action battle script that changes the fundamental properties of RPG Maker's turn based battle system. No longer would players be constrained to only performing a single action per turn. No longer would attacks missing be depended on random calculation by the game's engine. No, what this plugin does is transform the combat from RNG based to Skill based.

Features (Player Focussed)

• Optimization for solo style combat: Only one actor is controlled at any given time however, players can use the Party option during battle scene to swap actors.
  • Grid style movement: Players can move on a grid to dodge or line-up attacks. Enemies may also do the same.
  • Skill Equip Scene: A scene where even if the player knows 100's of skills, they may only equip a set number at any particular time to use in battle.
  • Skill Use: Skills may only be used once in battle before they are made unavailable for the battle.
  • Guard Made useful: Players can opt to guard against an attack which checks the appropriate parameter against the skill's power.
  • Anti-skill spam protection: Players cannot simply run through their entire skill deck. A battle gauge has been implemented to regulate the access to the skill selection screen.
Features (Developer)

• Unique skill color font based on hexadecimal code.
  • Designation of pixel type or teleportation type movement per actor.
  • Ease of power balancing, no complex formulae to calculate, player skill determines whether damage is effected or not.
  • Rating system so that you can add rating towards how powerful a skill is.
  • Custom Icons for Player HP, MP and TP.
  • Custom Gauge Color for Player HP, MP and TP.
  • Ease of coloration of player and enemy grid via hue modification.
  • =More to be added as development progresses=
________________________________________________________________________________________

Some screen shots of what has been completed so far.

Design of player and enemy grid. Enemies can adopt side-view actors but this is a work in progress.

(Top-Left) The player Status window which displays the value, Icon and gauge of HP, MP and TP. The box below is for player status Icons but most likely this left side of the screen will be modified to account for multiple actors in Player Party. The window showing "No Skill Data" shows information on selected skills.

(Top-Center) The Battle Gauge which regulates access to the skill selection screen.

You may notice that the endges of the screen have the battle back looking a bit funny. This is due to bad sizing of the battle background and the game's resolution.

This is the skill Equip scene.

(Top-Left)The list of skills equipped by that particular actor. To add would be a small window which shows how many skills that actor has equipped VS their max. May add skill resource costs later.

(Bottom) Is the skill Inventory. It only displays the skill name from the pool of skills the actor has acquired in the game. All skills are saved as objects rather than as only their ID so that individual modification to each skill can be made later on. These future modifications can include but is most definitely not limited to: Skill Leveling, Multiple instances of Skills, Skill Editing, Skill Evolution. The icon appearing before the skill name is used to indicate whether or not a skill is equipped.

(Top-Right)The skill data. What it displays is the skill name and icon, the element (if any), The skill effect (HP Damage, MP Drain, etc), resource costs and the skill power. Currently I am working on an intuitive way of making use of RPG Maker's formulae shortcuts such as 'a.atk' for those comfortable with using RPG Maker's default formulae.

______________________________________________________________________________________

That's it for this update. The next update is definitely not any time soon but you are free to ask questions and I will respond to the best of my ability.

Ciao!~

Synrec

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Just posting what I mean by live grid battle system.

This is in no way shape or form a 'select your enemy' or 'select grid area' kind of script.

The closest system to this is megaman battle network and maybe pokemon once I finish making modifications to how game party works in this engine.

I don't think this will be finished any time soon.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone, just an update.

In this post, we will be discussing the two most important features of the live grid battle script, projectiles and enemy movement. Before that, a re-cap to the last development log spoke about skill equip and selection, so far, those parts of the script are still in development. Whilst due to the projectile system, it is now possible to choose and make custom projectile skills with their own custom bitmaps.

Projectile bitmaps use their own folder for ease of project management. I have considered appending animations to projectiles for lessening of data load for game projects but this won't be implemented any time soon as I still have to implement these parts of the projectile system:

• Area Scopes (Currently, projectile hit area is only the impacted target.
  • Projectile move paths (Currently only travels in a straight line).
  • Appending elemental effects (Currently, RPG Maker's build in element system is... abysmal. I am currently working on a way to see how to get this working with the now live battle grid.)
Although this is short, getting a working projectile system in RPG Maker means that it had to be coded up from scratch but with this, the path is paved for ideas such as:

• Elemental Projectiles (Can change color of projectile image via hue so as to reduce data load.)
  • Obstacles and specific grid effects. (So that players (or even enemies) can place obstacles or the field can induce status effects on the player.
  • Field projectiles (For game projectiles like a battle under a meteor shower for example.)
For now, the next stages would be to refine all the current framework that are in place into something more solid before moving onto adding new ideas.

Thanks for reading, do have an awesome day!

so1us

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Looks really neat and smooth. Can't believe you're actually getting this done in RPG Maker.

Does the number of projectiles on screen at once impact performance much?

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks really neat and smooth. Can't believe you're actually getting this done in RPG Maker.

Does the number of projectiles on screen at once impact performance much?
I'm inclined to say no given that it doesn't appear to lag on the FPS even with 100+ on screen but a more solid answer can come after I load scopes and enemy attacks.

so1us

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Glad to hear it. Constantly surprised with what ppl are able to do in RPG Maker. Looking forward to your next update!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Part of me is really missin' the good 'ol days of RM '95... goodness just seems like such simpler times
Just got two Switch E-Shop 20$ gift cards... Is 3D All-Stars worth it? Or should I get something like Celeste? I'd love to know your opinion!
I’m looking at the MZ full body images and I think Priscilla is taller than Reid...
Ami
--- Music Selection ---

M.Archer: It's Music Station,You can Change the Music as you like.
F.Healer: i want to hear the Romantic Music.
M.Fighter: Then,i want the Hard-Rock one!
(the Troll Song has played)
M.Archer: Hey,i hear this Music.
F.Healer: It's popular from Internet Music,i wonder who change it?
Hero: I change it.
Entire Party: YOU????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galm