TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So my game had a plugin called Character Animations Character Frames Diagonal Movement. And it caused the following error to occur.

What'd I do wrong? It's already a part of the plugin folder, should I move it below SRD and YEP's core engine? At the moment it's near the top above those two core plugins. Just thought I'd ask here first incase there's some fix I need to make (and I'm using the newest version of the maker. I just redownloaded the thing about 3 / 4 days ago.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Jules98

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where did you get that plugin from? The fact that it has spaces in the name is very suspect.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It was in my plugin files already when I redownloaded. I was going to use GALV's version that I downloaded, but I thought the one I found in my lists was a premade version and would save me some time.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where did you download it from?

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Andar I downloaded it from The main website. I got into my account, and downloaded the file.

Edit:

Strange thing, I was looking for the actual file in my plugins, and I can't for the life of me find it (even though it's showing up in my plugin list, I can take a snapshot of that strangeness if anyone wants to see it).

And I'll simply use GALV's plugins. Since that's what I was originally planning. But that error is probably going to confound me for awhile XD.

Last edited:

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your link doesn't go anywhere, where did you download it?

Strange thing, I was looking for the actual file in my plugins, and I can't for the life of me find it (even though it's showing up in my plugin list, I can take a snapshot of that strangeness if anyone wants to see it).
This exactly explains your error. If you add the plugin to the Plugin Manager and then delete the actual file, this happens.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Your link doesn't go anywhere, where did you download it?

This exactly explains your error. If you add the plugin to the Plugin Manager and then delete the actual file, this happens.
Wasn't that I deleted it, it showed up in my plugin manager list. Just couldn't find the file itself. Although I did eventually find out the problem ... and it was a dumb one. When I mass downloaded files to add in, I forgot to take out the actual files from the zip folder, and the file was showing up, but the js file wasn't being read.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGreatEater That still doesn't answer the question where you got the file from.
There are several problems with that file and it needs to be corrected to prevent others from the same.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Andar It was from https://galvs-scripts.com/2015/12/12/mv-character-frames/

And as long as people remove the file from the zip folder, and don't forget that they didn't. Then that problem isn't repeatable. It's just an odd thing where the Plugin Manager shows that "a plugin" exists, but it's not viable since it's not extracted. I don't know why RPG Maker does that tbh.

But yeah, if you have a zipfile in your plugins section. The Plugin Manager will show it up as if it were an actual plugin. Even though the system can neither read nor access it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The plugin manager does not add anything to your plugin list. YOU do that. It does not go through and look at what's in the folder and add it automatically. The only way that would get in the plugin manager is if someone manually adds it.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Shaz.

What I mean is this:

Go to the linked page. (in my above post)
Go download the Mix Demo to your Plugin Folder.
Open up game the Plugin Folder is under.
Open Plugin Manager.
In the list of available Plugins. That Zip Folder will show up as if it where a plugin (.JS).
Said Deceptive File can be selected as if it where an actual plugin.
Game will crash because it's not a Js. File.

So, a bit of tautology.
If said Zipfile is in the Plugin Manager under the list of available plugins to use. And said list is where all your Plugins are kept.

What is it called? I called it a Plugin List, since it is in fact a list of plugins. That's proper english right there. If there's a different bit of terminology for the list of plugins under the Plugin Manager, be a pal and let me know.

And if you read what I posted. You'd see that I said I did the aforementioned list of actions by accident. So I'm not sure if you're correcting what I said I did, and didn't bother to say the proper terminology, or if you either ignored or misread the steps I said I did on accident. Either way, please read what a person says they did when they say that causes a massive malfunction, especially when they admit to doing something exceptionally moronic. Saying it once was embarrassing, having to repeat it in more detail is just rubbing salt on the wound.

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If MV is showing anything besides .js (Javascript) files in the dropdown for the Plugin Manager, I'd say that's a bug in MV. I may play around with that a bit to see if I can recreate the issue and find under what scenario that bug happens.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And if you read what I posted. You'd see that I said I did the aforementioned list of actions by accident. So I'm not sure if you're correcting what I said I did, and didn't bother to say the proper terminology, or if you either ignored or misread the steps I said I did on accident. Either way, please read what a person says they did when they say that causes a massive malfunction
Then you should be more careful about the information you give. All along you've been saying you downloaded it from the main website and it was there when you downloaded it. This makes it sound like you downloaded MV, started a new project, and it was there. You were questioned several times about that so I wasn't the only one who was confused.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If MV is showing anything besides .js (Javascript) files in the dropdown for the Plugin Manager, I'd say that's a bug in MV. I may play around with that a bit to see if I can recreate the issue and find under what scenario that bug happens.
It really is a weird bug. I just saw your reply and yep. All you need is a js file inside a Zipfile. The Plugin Manager will show up the file but not actually read it. It's a weird bug.

Then you should be more careful about the information you give. All along you've been saying you downloaded it from the main website and it was there when you downloaded it. This makes it sound like you downloaded MV, started a new project, and it was there. You were questioned several times about that so I wasn't the only one who was confused.
And I did think I got it from the main site.

But then:

Wasn't that I deleted it, it showed up in my plugin manager list. Just couldn't find the file itself. Although I did eventually find out the problem ... and it was a dumb one. When I mass downloaded files to add in, I forgot to take out the actual files from the zip folder, and the file was showing up, but the js file wasn't being read.
I said that I made a really dumb mistake, then I stated what I did and how it happened. When I started the mass download other than Galv's stuff it was a few from Yanfly (Files number 1,2, 5, 6, and Galv's movement). And it was a file that wasn't part of Yanfly's downloads, and it was my first time opening the Plugin Manager (and being awake for at the time two days straight kind of messes with your memory XD). So yeah a mistake on my part, and one I owed up too.

Sorry if I caused confusion though. I apologize for that.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All you need is a js file inside a Zipfile. The Plugin Manager will show up the file but not actually read it. It's a weird bug.
ABSOLUTELY WRONG

The plugin manager CANNOT read ZIP-Files, that is why the problems happened.
You must never use a compressed file, the js file has to be in the clear.
And even Galv never said that you should use the zips, he only used that for better up/download but you are required to unzip before the files are usable.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
ABSOLUTELY WRONG

The plugin manager CANNOT read ZIP-Files, that is why the problems happened.
You must never use a compressed file, the js file has to be in the clear.
And even Galv never said that you should use the zips, he only used that for better up/download but you are required to unzip before the files are usable.
I know. I stated that. It "Can't read it", but it shows up in the list of available plugins. And I even stated that it was a problem on my end (several posts) where I forgot to unzip said files. But yeah, I learned about getting said Js files to be in the clear. I still feel like facepalming over that. Even though I find it odd that that bug exists.

I was just stating how to recreate the bug for the person. Not that it's a good idea to do, just how to recreate it.

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually recreated the bug, but it was not consistent. I did see the .zip folder in the dropdown of the Plugin Manager, which absolutely should not be there, the Plugin Manager should only show Javascript files. However, the next time I reloaded the project, I didn't see it anymore. So I do believe it to be a bug in MV, however, and I would have reported it to the MV bug thread but I could not consistently recreate the bug.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Aloe Guvner , Which makes the bug weirder. Sometime's it'll stay, and from what you saw sometimes it'll disappear randomly. Did you try adding the file to your plugin list? That might make it stay, I know the character movement file stayed with me when I had it active. If it doesn't then that really makes this a head scratcher.

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you try adding the file to your plugin list? That might make it stay, I know the character movement file stayed with me when I had it active.
Well, I know this part is true, but is not what I'm concerned with. When you select a plugin from the dropdown in the Plugin Manager and then press "apply" or "ok", it writes a line to your plugins.js file. You can check it out yourself, open that file in a text editor (look but don't touch!), that is where all your settings are saved from the Plugin Manager.
So I know that if I select the zip folder from the dropdown and press "ok", it will create a record for that. And then next time I load the Plugin Manager, it will load that record.
It's not the downstream that's important, the upstream is: the zip folder shouldn't have been in the dropdown in the first place.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGreatEater, sorry that many people here they are very direct and to the point. Those words might come out as infromatory to you. It would helpful if you do the screenshot of where is your writing the code. Where are you putting the plugin? Pictures tell thousand words. Some people here can test for you because they do not know until they see effects. You might need to also screenshot where you think might cause the problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.
Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewRobertson