taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like that fixes ReadBook, and my localization plugin also properly picks up my library now without any modifications to your code. The only other thing is if using files as a source (whether JSON or BookFiles) the timing might cause it to sometimes notice it and sometimes miss it. For my purposes I've added this code to my local copy of BookFiles:

JavaScript:
const old_isLoaded = DataManager.isDatabaseLoaded;
DataManager.isDatabaseLoaded = function() {
    if($dataBooks && $dataBooks._source === 'Book Files' && !$dataBooks._doneLoading) return false;
    return old_isLoaded.call(this);
};
You might consider doing something similar for the JSON source. Obviously it's not needed with the Plugin Manager source.

This means that if it takes a long time to load the books, the game will display "Now Loading..." until it's finished. I guess you can decide whether you actually want this; the books aren't needed at the title screen, after all.
Probably most of the time delaying title screen before all books are loaded may not be needed. As you pointed out, they usually are not needed at the title screen. But, I can add a parameter for those who do need it that way. I'll probably hold on to that feature for now though, wait for more features before releasing a new version.

Thanks for the tips !

I sent you my JSON.
everything is working fine except the
Code:
LibraryData UnreadBooks show
I'll take a look there. If it's something on your file I'll answer through PM, otherwise I'll reply here in case someone stumbles into the same issue.

EDIT: Well, it turned out PLUEVNR's issue was a well hidden bug :/
So, I ended up releasing version 1.4.2 to fix it, and also included Solar_Flare suggestion with a parameter to enable / disable loading all book data before hitting the title screen.

Last edited:

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow! I just tested it and this plugin is great! I was making a "system" of files (like those of Resident Evil) all on the basis of variables and common events. Which, although it works, would be a monstrous work to sort due to the large amount of files.

I have many, many applications for your plugin. Now it's going to be so much easier!
Thank you so much! :LZSjoy:

On other hand, my game changes the skin of the window according to the character or according to the situation they find themselves in. Is it possible to change the window skin in a variable way? I mean, for example:

If situation A =
book menu list skin A
book menu title skin A
book menu text skin A
If situation B =
book menu list skin B
book menu title skin B
book menu text skin B
If situation C =
book menu list skin A
book menu title skin B
book menu text skin A

I got that effect with every window in the game. I wonder if there's a way to do it with this plugin. The windows I'm hoping to change are those in the attachment. Could somebody point the direction for me?

Attachments

harvvvvv

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How difficult would it be to have the categories in a separate window that you can switch between? I'm imagining above the main content window similar to how inventory works with items/weapons/armour/etc.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got that effect with every window in the game. I wonder if there's a way to do it with this plugin. The windows I'm hoping to change are those in the attachment. Could somebody point the direction for me?
I'm not sure how it's working for other windows, but I could add a plugin command to change window skin, maybe?

How difficult would it be to have the categories in a separate window that you can switch between? I'm imagining above the main content window similar to how inventory works with items/weapons/armour/etc.
That would require a decent amount of work to create a new window and scene structure. Unfortunately, I'm not planning nothing like it in the near future.

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure how it's working for other windows, but I could add a plugin command to change window skin, maybe?
Oh, I don't want to be annoying to you, if there is a way I could do it without giving you more work would be great. But if a command is possible it would be awesome.
I've been using Hime's window skin changer, in which we do script calls with the name of the window, but it does not affect yours unfortunately.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been using Hime's window skin changer, in which we do script calls with the name of the window, but it does not affect yours unfortunately.
It's because BookMenu overrides the function that Hime uses to set the windowskin on a window. If you always want the same window skin for the book window, you can just set it in the BookMenu plugin parameters. If you want to be able to swap window skins on the fly with Hime's functions, you can just find this function in BookMenu and delete it:
JavaScript:
Window_BookList.prototype.loadWindowskin = function() {
    var windowSkin = TAA.bm.Parameters.MenuListWindow['Window Skin'];
    TAA.log(2, "Window Skin: " + windowSkin);
    this._windowskin = ImageManager.loadSystem(windowSkin);
};
Of course, this means that the window skin specified in BookMenu's parameters will now be ignored.

spec3

blep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's because BookMenu overrides the function that Hime uses to set the windowskin on a window. If you always want the same window skin for the book window, you can just set it in the BookMenu plugin parameters. If you want to be able to swap window skins on the fly with Hime's functions, you can just find this function in BookMenu and delete it:
JavaScript:
Window_BookList.prototype.loadWindowskin = function() {
    var windowSkin = TAA.bm.Parameters.MenuListWindow['Window Skin'];
    TAA.log(2, "Window Skin: " + windowSkin);
    this._windowskin = ImageManager.loadSystem(windowSkin);
};
Of course, this means that the window skin specified in BookMenu's parameters will now be ignored.
As soon as possible I will test it out. Thank you, Solar_Flare!

edit:

So, I put // before the lines in Window_BookList.prototype.loadWindowskin, Window_BookTitle.prototype.loadWindowskin and Window_BookText.prototype.loadWindowskin and their functions and it works like a charm.
Thanks again, Solar_Flare for the input and taaspider for the plugin! :LZSjoy:

Last edited:

kietemoi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello! thank you for such a great plugin!

I was wondering if it is possible to show variables in these books? I read that text code is supported but I tried to add a variable with " \v[0] " in the plugin manager but I received an error. The source is set to "Plugin Manager".

Would be great to be able to add variable information and show the players progress.

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello! thank you for such a great plugin!

I was wondering if it is possible to show variables in these books? I read that text code is supported but I tried to add a variable with " \v[0] " in the plugin manager but I received an error. The source is set to "Plugin Manager".

Would be great to be able to add variable information and show the players progress.
Try a variable other than zero

kietemoi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try a variable other than zero
sorry that was a poor example, I didn't actually write zero - I had tried \v[5] \v[6] etc. but it gives me an error. I wonder if anyone else is able to write variables or if its just me that can't.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sorry that was a poor example, I didn't actually write zero - I had tried \v[5] \v[6] etc. but it gives me an error. I wonder if anyone else is able to write variables or if its just me that can't.
Can you print and send me the error you're getting?
I'm wrapping up a new version (1.5.0) and I just tested variable test codes in the demo project, and it works like a charm using both JSON files and Plugin Manager books:
1601040552007.png

kietemoi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sadface.png

Hello!

The top row is with the variable and the bottom row is when I take the variable out. I also turned the plugins off that are causing the error but instead of an error showing up it removes the book menu completely if I have a variable written in, and then goes back to normal as soon as I take it out.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It seems to be some compatibility issue with Yanfly's plugins, since it works perfectly in my demo project.
I'll run some tests here and see if I can replicate the issue.

EDIT: @kietemoi , I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. However, the error you sent implies something has gone wrong with YEP_MainMenuManager. Can you send me how the book menu is configured in YEP_MainMenuManager (specially the show menu parameter, which seems to be the issue)?

Also, there's something wrong with you Plugin Manager Books parameter. The editor is not showing the structure option to visualize the parameter contents:
1601052079498.png

That usually means the parameter is not setup correctly. I suggest deleting everything, clicking "ok", then opening it up again and configuring the book again using the structure parameter view.

Last edited:

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks like @kietemoi is using a version of MV older than 1.5. If you want to use TAA_BookMenu, I would suggest either updating your MV to at least 1.5 (which as I recall is the version that improved the plugin manager) or use JSON files instead as your book source.

Just for the record, it will probably still work with what you have if you add an extra \, but it can't be fun editing those parameters without the structured editor...

kietemoi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It seems to be some compatibility issue with Yanfly's plugins, since it works perfectly in my demo project.
I'll run some tests here and see if I can replicate the issue.

EDIT: @kietemoi , I wasn't able to reproduce the issue. However, the error you sent implies something has gone wrong with YEP_MainMenuManager. Can you send me how the book menu is configured in YEP_MainMenuManager (specially the show menu parameter, which seems to be the issue)?

Also, there's something wrong with you Plugin Manager Books parameter. The editor is not showing the structure option to visualize the parameter contents:
View attachment 161824

That usually means the parameter is not setup correctly. I suggest deleting everything, clicking "ok", then opening it up again and configuring the book again using the structure parameter view.
sorry for the delay, I didn't update MV since the plugin was working with my older version (just not the variable issue). I just updated MV (1.6.2) to see if that is the root of the problem. But now I'm getting errors even with the demo project >.<. Could the issue be that previously my version was too old and now it is too new haha?

I'm going to see if I can bring my version down to 1.5.0 and see if everything works fine.

EDIT : I'm on V1.5.1 and I created a new project with just the BookMenu plugin. I haven't changed or added anything. No errors but the menu doesn't show up. I then tried to add a book to see if that was the reason why but same issue again. I then tried the "OpenBookMenu" plugin command and still no luck. I've tried so many different things that I'm not even sure what the problem is anymore >.<

Attachments

Last edited:

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The demo is running on 1.6.2 over here. As long as your version is at least 1.5.0, there shouldn't be compatibility issues.

Can you PM me a zip of your test project?
That way I can take a better look and see if I can find out what's happening.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, the plugin is very well incorporated into my game, however I can't make it show the categories anywhere.

I used MV.
Check in the menu list parameters, there's one param to enable categories. I think it might disabled. That would explain the behavior you describe.

Unfeant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hola, pensé que podría solucionar el problema si empezaba un nuevo juego, sin embargo no funcionó, por el contrario el problema era peor.

Ahora ni siquiera muestra lo que escribo en las categorías y libros.

Capturas de pantalla adjuntas de mi configuración.

Attachments

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hola, pensé que podría solucionar el problema si empezaba un nuevo juego, sin embargo no funcionó, por el contrario el problema era peor.

Ahora ni siquiera muestra lo que escribo en las categorías y libros.

Capturas de pantalla adjuntas de mi configuración.
I can see on your print that Show Categories is set to true now. What I think is happening is that Hide Unread Books is probably set to true (which is its default value).
You can change it to false (you can find this parameter inside the Menu List Window Config), or you can create an event and call the ReadBook or Learn plugin commands, which will mark the book as read.

Also, I think it would be a good idea for you to take a look at the demo project. It may help you understand better how to work with the plugin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sachixxx