RMMZ TAA_SkillMastery - v1.2.0 Crashing Equip Screen

jno8034

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hopefully this isn't a labyrinthine explanation and issue.

I am trying to create a bootleg Legend of Dragoon style Addition system for skills.
The TAA_SkillMastery - v1.2.0 Plugin should work perfectly for that, and after fiddling for a long time with the JSON file setup I was able to get it to work. Playtesting a skill through levels with random encounters is working perfectly. Success!

Well...not really.
For some reason the Plugin is causing the equip screen to crash every time. I have turned off every other plugin (and even turned some back on just to experiment) and the crash is always the same, even with just TAA_SkillMastery - v1.2.0 on. This specifically occurs when I link the json file through plugin JSON config - even if I have the DataSource Type set to the Plugin Manager

1615220124951.png
1615220224370.png
And that's about where my troubleshooting ends. In the console I can see the error (I don't know the first thing about the console debugger, but I'll link what I see in case its helpful.

1615220352504.png

Interestingly - the demo game that came with this plugin has the same error. I'm hoping this isn't some fundamental issue that cannot be resolved, as this is the only good Skill Mastery system for MZ that I am aware of that shows skill progress on the Menu UI
I haven't seen a lot of discussion about this pretty cool plugin - and I hope there is a solution someone can find.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!

Took a quick look here, and it turned out quite simple to solve! :)
To be sure before I update the main plugin post and the default download link, can you test it over there too, please?

Attachments

• TAA_SkillMastery.js
    127.7 KB · Views: 4

jno8034

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well that was pretty fast.

I feel like losing my mind - I've tried the new 1.2.1 version in both a mostly blank project and within your demo, swapping it out for 1.2.0, yet now I'm getting the same issue I original had on the first thread where its like the project isn't recognizing the plugin. Its extremely weird. The demo recognizes 1.2.0 but not 1.2.1. Based upon the initial thread this has got to be something I'm doing rather than the update so I'm sure the fix is good.

jno8034

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I did some snooping and I **think** that the issue is the following:
1615260442706.png
I don't know the first thing about this, but it isn't occurring on the 1.2.0 build for me loaded into the demo. I also get this if I put 1.2.0 back into my own project. This must be what has been going on with it non populating, I have no idea how I would have accidentally fixed it once.

No worries if you wanna tag out here haha. Just the update is a good start I can fall down the JS rabbit hole and try to fix this on my own.

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!
That error is pointing to some kind of error in your Json configurations. The line indicated on the last print you sent (1240) is the point where we load parameters from the Plugin Manager. I believe you should review your setup, as there's something there breaking the json format. That's why the game is breaking.

If you're using the default settings, try replacing the whole JSON Config parameter with the object in the spoiler tag (click the tab text in the plugin manager editor and paste the string).
1615571883283.png

{"File":"SkillLevels.json","ID Object":"id","Default Object":"default","Level Array Object":"levels","MP Cost Object":"mpCost","TP Cost Object":"tpCost","TP Gain Object":"tpGain","Scope Object":"scope","Damage Formula Object":"damage","Requirements Object":"req","Description Object":"descr","Custom Effects Object":"customEffects","Damage Modifiers Object":"dmgMods","EXP Type Object":"xpType","Formula Array Object":"formulas","EXP Formula Object":"xp"}

jno8034

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So this looks like it might be an ID10T error lmao. I had the JS file saved as xxx (1) since it was still in my downloads when I re-downloaded it. I completely stripped out the plugin, the JSON, etc. and re-setup the whole thing and it works in a fresh file. I'm still having some hiccups with my current project, but that's only because Visustella's plugins aren't playing nice lol its not you. Thanks for you help!

taaspider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Glad it's working now. If Visustella's plugins are having compatibility issues with TAA_SkillMastery you'll have to contact them, ufortunately. Due to obfuscation there isn't much I can do.

Let me know when your game is released so I can take a look!! :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished v0.1 of FOSSIL. It's a plugin that lets you use MV plugins in MZ without editing them by making them use new functions.

I have about 40 plugins tested and working so far (including chrono engine and some other big ones). I hope that the community will pitch in and help improve it, so we can use all the old plugins in MZ. :)
I really lack discipline and find myself far too often giving into or at least seriously considering the temptation to start a new project rather than following through on a WIP that's no longer a shiny and new idea.

Does anyone have any strategies or tricks for making themselves follow through with things instead of doing this? Like that actually work?
I'm starting the "Switches lesson" on Learn MV today, what would you like to learn about them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Galbador