[TAB] The Tall Adult Body Generator Project (V0.9 Beta released)

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Anyone, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Warning: You need to own the RPG MAKER MV and have the Dark Fantasy character pack to use this.

Beta Version: This is a beta version. Some things may not function perfectly, the FG portrait pictures are still a work in progress. Please report any errors you may encounter.

The goal of this project is to provide the community with a fully fleshed out generator base for tall adult body sprites for both face graphics (FG) and characters (TV). (Sideview characters are currently not planned)

Current Progress & Features:
    • New Sheet Size: 97x97 character slots (291x388 per character, 1164x776 for a 8 character sheet); this allows for more possibilities both in height and width.
    • All Generator Parts except clothing and cloak 1&2 have been converted
    • Clothing & Body: Thanks to WaywardMartian, a total over 60 clothing/armor variants exist (30+ for male, 30+ for female), as well as 5 Bodies & Heads, four with fixed skin color and one with a gradient mask
    • Headgear exists as a new type of generator part, allowing up to 4 mask colors for color variations as well as 3 layers for face graphics. (back, sides, front) WaywardMartian also edited the Dark Fantasy Actors and made 8 Headgears useable by male and female characters
    • Body & Head as well as Heads & Ears are separated from each other to allow independent use and open more possibilities
    • Clothing is divided into Clothing (civilian clothing) and Armor (military uniforms or armor)
    • Other new body part types (currently empty) include Skin Marks (which can be used to show all kinds of things on the skin), Armor Parts (which allows armor modifications such as spikes, sigils and other things to be placed over armors), Weapons & Shields (which enables you to add handheld weapons and shields to the character)
    Picture 1.png
    Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Roadmap:

Phase 1: Establishing a generator base (<--- current phase)
    • Flesh out all new Clothing & Armor with a fitting FG graphic [in progress]
    • Separate Arms from Bodies to make them compatible with beards [done]
    • Turn the remaining Dark Fantasy NPCs into generator assets (clothing, accessories, etc.) [in progress]
    • Fixing the color mixup caused by the generator [done]
    • Sort clothing & armor into the right categories [done]
    • Add more expression FG graphics (Eyes, Eyebrows, Mouth) to cover all emotions and use a clear sorting system to make them seem less random and unconnected [not yet started]
    • Using an automated script to truncate the hair variants and importing them into the headgear hair variants. These allow you to retain the hairstyle of the character when wearing a helmet, but the parts that would cause clipping issues with the headgears are cut away) [not yet started]
    Phase 2: Extending the functions

• Create a second head type (1 pixel shorter from each side), use a Photoshop Action Script + Retouching to create a variant of all hairstyles and accessories for it, add neckline anti-clipping pixels to the armor variants via Photoshop Action Script & batch edit function [done]
    • Create example assets for Skin Marks, Armor Parts and Weapons & Shields [not yet started]

Phase 3: Fill the generator with content, bugfixing & polish

• Identify missing content and fill out the content base [not yet started]

• If enough content from different settings exists (fantasy, modern world, sci-fi) I may reduce the default generator base just to universal things and instead package the generator parts into themed packs that you can download separately, so you only have things of the setting you intend to work with. [pure concept]

Phase 4: Expansion possibilities (These are things that could be done in theory but would require some effort)

• Use Photoshop Action Scripts to increase the size of Armors & reposition assets to make 2 new height types so that characters can be created in 3 height variants (normal, tall, very tall) [pure concept]
    • Possibly more than 2 head types? [pure concept]
    • Some assets & a base for child characters [pure concept]
    Not Part of Any Phase: Theoretically possible things that are neither planned nor easily realized:
    • FG graphics could be converted via Photoshop Action Scripts to serve as Face foundation for a Bust creator [pure concept, unlikely without artists who create bust graphics for clothing & armor]
    • Sideview characters [pure concept, very unlikely since much of the characters would have to be drawn from scratch)
    • Pose creator [pure concept, theoretically doable, allows individual positioning of 12x16 elements per sheet unlike the default 4x2, very very unlikely, due to the immense effort necessary even with automated scripts doing what could theoretically be automated]

FAQ:

Q: Why are there 2 character sprite sheets?
    A: There are two different headtypes. A default headtype and a slim headtype. Regardless of what parts you pick, you will always have the option to export either style.

Q: What’s “TAB” stand for, and why is it in the upper left hand corner of every icon?
    A: It stands for “Tall Adult Body” and is used as a watermark to distinguish generator parts made for / or made compatible with the TAB generator from those that aren’t compatible. This is done to prevent confusion and people not being certain of what generator a part is meant for – especially when people mix multiple types of sprites. If you see the watermark on the icon, chances are you can’t use it with default sprites. Likewise, if the watermark isn’t there, you probably can’t use it with the TAB generator.

Q: What does the symbol in the lower left hand corner of the icon mean?
    A: That’s the logo of the creator and indicates who made or edited the sprite. Currently, pretty much everything that isn’t original RTP stuff from Kadokawa is WaywardMartian’s.

Q: What about the symbols in the lower right of any icon?
    A: These give you additional info about the icon straight away. FG for example means that this part only appear on the face graphics. FC stands for Fixed Color and means that the hue is intentionally fixed to a specific base color to give you color bases that the gradient can’t provide.

Q: What are the terms of service?
    A: There are no TOS dictated by me (since I don’t own any of the sprites) but instead the TOS of the artists apply. Anything inside this generator base is present only with explicit permission of the artist and only if the artists TOS include free private and commercial use. Everything included in the generator is thus free for private and commercial use – so long as the artist does not revoke that license.

Always make sure to check the TOS of the artists before publishing anything. Their threads are ALWAYS linked here, their generator parts marked with their logos, a brief key (e.g. WWM for WaywardMartian) is at the start of the part name and their name is registered for every part they’ve contributed.

ALWAYS GIVE CREDIT.

Q: When can I expect the full release?
    A: Currently the generator is in its beta phase. Updates will come as new FG portrait pictures are done and other things are added or fixed.

Q: I don't want to rebuild characters from scratch every time an update comes around...
    Use the extended editor's "save character" feature to save your generator parts selection. Once an update comes around, load the character and export the updated sprites.

Q: Can I help?
    A: Absolutely. Check out the recruitment part below.

Recruitment:
    This generator is designed to be a tool for the community to use tall sprites - even for those who are artistically challenged when it comes to spriting. (Like me. Without an artist like WaywardMartian, none of this could have ever happened.) I hope that this project will encourage artists to create assets for this size type, knowing that there’s a functional generator and an asset base for interested developers.

But there’s only so much any one person can do. While things are slowly moving toward the end of phase 1, my time is often split between trying to turn existing FG parts into fitting graphics for WaywardMartian’s sprites, working on the fixes for some minor character issues (like getting the arms on separate sheets) and doing detail work in the generator (which requires hard-editing of the data.dat file).

Face Graphic Artists & Character Spriters Needed
    Currently needed:
    • Face Grapic Artists who can help turn the default FGs to ones matching the character sprites
    • Character Spriters who can help touch up on character sprites and character hair
    If you have any experience in spriting (or are willing to learn – I had zero knowledge 2 weeks ago), whether it’s working on characters or face graphics, and you’re interested in getting phase 1 finished sooner, please contact me per PM and tell me what you’re interested in doing of the things currently in progress.

The four most pressing things of Phase 1:
    • Face graphics for armors & clothing that don’t have any yet or only have placeholders
    • Character’s arms being put onto separate sheets (to fix beard clipping)
    • Dark Fantasy assets converted into generator parts (both the character sprites as well as the face graphics)
    • Face graphics (eyes, eyebrows, mouth) that show different emotions and clearly belong to the same eye/mouth/eyebrow type (unlike the default mess where different eye types are all cluttered about)

Creating New Content
    I'd love to see content created for the new sprites, but especially for new categories that currently don't have any.

These are:
    • Weapons & Shields that can be held by the character
    • Skin Marks which are effects laid over the body, such as scars, dirt, body hair, nipples, body tatoos, stomach abs, etc.
    • Armor Parts which can be placed over armor. These can be belts, pauldrons, chestplates, cuirasses, insignias, trims, boots & sabatons, mail skirts, vambraces, gauntlets, gold & silver embossing, runes & runic engravings, glyphs, corrugation lines, etc.
    • Cloaks since there currently are only two, and they're more like shawls.

If you’re an artist interested in creating generator parts for this body type (especially anything in Phase 2 and 3) that you’d like to contribute to the generator, I’d love for you to get in touch.
    Even if you're planning to release it seperately from the generator, it's probably helpful.

There’s a lot of stuff I can do to like extending color masks ranges, adding new categories or layers, etc. that may open possibilities that are blocked in the default generator, allowing you to do things that were previously impossible. (e.g. Headgears with 3 layers)

I can probably tell you if something that was impossible in the default generator can be made possible in Schlangan’s extended generator.

Suggestions & Feedback:
    If you have any other suggestions or feedback, feel free to contact me or post in this thread.

Please don't write about missing portraits. Those are currently still WIP. If you encounter other problems, make sure to report them. When you do, it's preferable if you mention the affected parts in full name or - even better - save the character via the extended generator's save function and attach the character save file to the report. That way I can load it into the editor and check things out straight away.

Credits:
    • WaywardMartian
    His contribution is practically the backbone of this generator. Without his amazing sprites to inspire me to do this, and without his cooperation and the sprites he graciously allowed me to put into the generator, this whole thing would have never happened.

Go check out his thread:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/waywards-mv-resources-battlers-sprites-tiles-update-190901-sprite-modular-actor4_2.108090/

You’ll find a lot of amazing sprites designed to be used in a modular style in Photoshop and similar programs to craft tall sprites per hand. If you like anything about this generator, go and give him a like.

• Schlangan
    He’s the second person that made this entire thing possible. If he hadn’t, in his own free time, entirely unpaid, developed the extended generator, this couldn’t have happened. To top it off, his generator allows much greater flexibility in what’s possible and enables me to offer things that would’ve been entirely impossible and unthinkable in the default generator.

Please check out his thread and give him a like for his amazing work:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rpg-maker-mv-extended-generator-version-alpha-0-09-update-on-the-4th-january-2018.56569/

The generator prototype:
    TAB Generator Base Version 0.9 (Beta):
    https://workupload.com/file/SeTjJgBr

Instructions:
    1. Extract the archive into a folder of your choosing.
    2. Go to Schlangan's extended generator site and download his latest *.exe file.
    3. Put the *.exe file into the folder you extracted the generator base to.
    4. Launch RPG_Maker_MV_Extended_Generator.exe

For Content Creators:
    TAB Content Creator Guide & Pack v0.9
    https://workupload.com/file/tVFATp3w

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Sunjean, Sythian Bard, Hallse and 9 others like this.
  2. WaywardMartian

WaywardMartian Is sometimes a giant bee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hooray, it's up! For all your talk of not being able to do it without me, it couldn't have happened without you - I'm not much of a programmer. I'm just thrilled that my stuff is more accessible to people who want sprites but don't have the time/ability to futz around in Photoshop. I've got time today set aside for messing with sprites so I'll have some more bits for you later.

Daisetsu, BadLittleSeed and Anyone like this.
  3. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it my birthday already? This is amazing!! B):thumbsup-right:

Wavelength and Anyone like this.
  4. GalacticGod

GalacticGod Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was just thinking that I really wish the generator in MV accommodate the tall sprites and here this is; amazing work from this community!

5. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :D

----------------------------------------

A brief progress update:

Things are moving forward slowly but steadily.
    Currently, my focus is on ensuring that WaywardMartian's sprites are fully working. That's why I'm going through each and every part to ensure it's in the right category, fix the color palatte bug in the generator, remove the arms on the first sheet so the beard clipping issue is fixed, go over the mask sheet to see if some more color adjustments can be made available, and add a face graphic that fits the clothing by using vanilla assets, recoloring, repositioning and - where necessary - redrawing them.

So far 3 of the actor sheets have been fixed (that's ~18 articles of clothing) and provided with their own FG graphic.

Example 1:
    progress 1.png
    • The shoulder trim color can now be changed, both on the sprite as well as on the FG picture. Some armors with metal parts now allow the metal to change the hue.
    • The FG picture is a combination of multiple elements, recolored and redrawn where necessary to make them fit.
    Example 2:
    progress 2.png
    • Shoulder pads now exist on the FG graphic as well, no more placeholder, and they can be recolored both on the FG as well as on the sprite.

CoryH and BadLittleSeed like this.
  6. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ugh! I wish I was better at spriting so I could help you guys out!! :(

Daisetsu likes this.
  7. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Practice and a bit of dedication is really all that's needed. I've got little photoshop experience and just did the first things in photoshop a couple weeks ago without any prior experience. Much of the work on my part, truth be told, (except for the FG graphics) is really just tedious, simple work that needs to be done. WaywardMartian and others are providing most of the artistic expertise for spriting.

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  8. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would really like to help with sprites, but unfortunately I I have other projects I need to stick to. If I ever do get some free time to help out I'll lend a hand.
    Still, I love this project, more resources for different base sprites are always needed so you have my support! Awesome job so far, I can't wait to see future progress! :kaohi:

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  9. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That'd be great. :D
    Even default size assets that aren't clothing are welcome. (I have an automated script to fit them to the new size & position them. Clothing doesn't work for obvious reasons, but accessories, hair, etc. is no problem)

Keep in mind that even small things help and I've added a lot of stuff to the generator that was previously impossible.
    Noses on the character sprite? Multilayered headgear? Insignias, ornaments and decoration for armor & clothing? Body scars? Tight abdominal muscles? Tattoos? Lipstick on the character sprite?
    It's all possible.

Here's a little sneak-peak at something I'm doing on the side:
    mouths.png

There will be mouths & noses available under the Face Mark category, which will be based in shade off the skin color and eventually come in colorable variants. (In case you want lipstick color)

That way, people who like a more realistic style can use a more pronounced nose or a mouth (like the one in the picture - still being fine-tuned, though)
    Expressions (open mouth, closed eyes, etc.) will also be available.

10. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I love the tall characters in that pack ! <3

11. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The character templates and clothing were made by WaywardMartian.
    Feel free to check out his other stuff and give him a like:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...909-sprite-sf-actors-people3_6-update.108090/

Progress today was somewhat slow.
    I finished 1 set of 7 clothings. (The priest outfits)
    grrr.png
    Drawing the face portrait stuff for the clothing was especially tedious. Hours and hours of work for what's essentially just some trimming, backplate for the left pauldron and a cloak.
    Seriously, if there's a face graphic artist out there who looks at this and thinks: "I can do better", yes, please do.

Daisetsu and BadLittleSeed like this.
  12. Daisetsu

Daisetsu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German,English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow really cool, i waited for something like this! Looking forward to this.
    I have made over 100 of Nps with the normal charcreater in the mv.
    But if you get this done i would also remake all of my charcter sheets also when its pain in the ass haha

edit: i tried your generator looking already nice! but please add the white color of my avatar hair could not find this color. and we need of coure the eye scars :D

edit 2: and hope the cloaks coming as soon as possible :D

edit 3: just try my new big character (some new look because some clothe parts actually are missing) and omg the feeling is alot better its improve the style alot really hope you can get this done i will defintly using it to remake alls charsheets.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  13. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad you're already enjoying the generator. :)

I may release a more extensive/ordered gradient palette for the v1.0 release, but it's not a big priority right now.
    In the meantime, you can check out Derex' gradients:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/derexs-generator-overhaul-updated-august-16.58852/
    Pick one you like and copy it into the "Resource" folder of the generator and replace the one that's present. You'll get a couple of additional colors that will be listed past the color 70.

Cloaks are probably going to come after the base has been fully built - I might use parts of the cloaks WaywardMartian has already included in some of his sprites and make them a seperate sprite.

BadLittleSeed and Daisetsu like this.
  14. Daisetsu

Daisetsu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German,English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow i didnt know there wa something like that, the colors and eyes looking alot better than the default.
    damit i have to rework all the characters now because it looking so much better. i think i will use some of the
    sprites already done and mix it with your generator.

i have a improvement suggestion:
    i think the size of the head should be a little bit smaller its looking strange if you take a closer look.

i really hope the cloaks coming fast as possible because every of my character in the fractions have it :)
    looking really really forward. Good job!!!

15. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. I'd suggest not to be too quick to create characters with the generator that you actually want in the game. There's a lot of improvements coming up, and some stuff currently isn't perfectly working or a placeholder.

2. The character sheet on the right will feature a smaller head in the future and you'll always be able to pick either headtype. WaywardMartian is kind enough to resize the hair and I'll offer a base head variant. Beyond that, it will be possible to use all kinds of different headshapes so long as they're either the default size or 1 pixel smaller on either side to fit the hair & accessories.

Daisetsu likes this.
  16. Daisetsu

Daisetsu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German,English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really cool!Nice.
    Yes i thought the same dont wanna do the work two times. I think i will be using it now as a placeholder and waiting for a more stable release, hoping only that it isent so far away from the future. (hope the head size feature is avaible in the next version, would be awesome) By the way if you make the cloak a seperate sprite this would be also help now.

i thought maybe i can add ressources on my own like headgear scars and things like that.
    is this gonna be to work?
    if so then maybe i could provided the already sized files here to make you less work :).

17. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There's no ETA yet on the next release. It's not going to be next weekend, it may be the weekend after that.
    It all depends on a lot of factors, mostly what I manage to get done and how quickly WaywardMartian can get the hair adjusted.
    I'm the biggest bottleneck right now, though, since there's a lot of different stuff I have to do - every one thing I work on impedes the progress on all other things.

It's possible to make and add your own resources. For the v1.0 release I'll add a content creator guide that'll explain how.
    As for the generator base, I'm willing to include all resources that fit the style & quality and aren't too specific.
    (I don't want to bloat the generator base with highly specific stuff like clown-shaped cakes you can hold in your hand. But things like a bouquet of flowers and similar stuff that's probably of use to many people, I'd definitely like to include, the artist be willing)

BadLittleSeed and Daisetsu like this.
  18. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news is that it's going to take longer to get the first release done.
    There's a couple of reasons for it, but what it boils down to is that it's just me and WaywardMartian working on it.
    Every time I have to go back to a FG graphic for a reedit because it's quality isn't up to stuff, every time I need to fix some sprite, adjust a mask, figure out a generator issue or have to find a new way to make things possible in the generator, it delays everything else I'm doing. Also, I'm going to need to take a couple of breaks every once in a while to get some energy back and get back to working on some of the stuff that actually earns me money.
    This project will continue and progresses every day, but it'll do so slower and I cannot currently say when things will be finished.

But there's also good news.
    The slim head is pretty much finished. We had to invent a new rear hair layer to make it work flawlessly, but overall it'll give the generator a much greater flexibility when it comes to how hair in general is compatible with headtypes and ears.

Left Side: Default head Right Side: Slim Head
    preview 0.png
    I've slimmed it down 1 pixel on either side, overhauled the shadows and shadow transition and added the neck WaywardMartian has invented for his own (private) heads with his permission.
    I'm pretty happy with how it looks.
    preview02.png

In addition, I've got a couple of additional character sheets done. Of the original ones, only 3 now remain plus the headgears. (Though WaywardMartian has send me a whole bunch of additional headgears, clothings & accessories. Check out his thread for some of the stuff that's to come. )

Here are a couple of the redone & fixed FG graphics:
    preview 2.png preview 1.png
    preview 4.png preview 5.png

Question:
    There's two ways I could go about the release.
    1. I focus on getting everything integrated and then release a trimmed down version. It will lack content (everything without an FG graphic), especially headgears. That way, the release will be earlier - but it won't have a lot yet for you to work with. There will be less than in the prototype.
    2. I release it later, when everything's finished. That way you'll have more content to play with than in the prototype and everything will be functional and working seamlessly. This will take longer but we'll reach this point faster than if I first have to seperately work on building a functional trimmed down version.

One way or another, don't expect the release in the next couple of days.

Daisetsu likes this.
  19. Daisetsu

Daisetsu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German,English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah thats the way, now its looking a lot better. For me i would using it now if the smaller head would be already inclusived.
    I think otherwise the generator is already useable! So i prefer the 1 Method you wirte about. And the Face Graphics are not a
    big problem we can use the orginal mv generator for that.

This Generator will improve all Rpg maker Mv Games to a new Standart. It also will look alot more
    professional.

That bothered me for a long time that there is no tall characters in mv only the ugly chiby one...

Really good Job looking forward to the next release, keep the good work up :).
    This Generator should have alot more support!

20. Anyone

Anyone Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad you like it. :)

Unfortunately, you can't. Not if you want the clothing to match up with the face graphics.
    1. A lot of the clothing WaywardMartian did has modifications to the upper body that don't exist in the default generator. So you'll have to match a sprite with a FG that doesn't match. Example: your character sprite is wearing a cloak, but the cloak won't be visible on the FG because the clothing has no cloak variant in the generator.

2. Most of his clothings are variants of the Dark Fantasy DLC. They don't have anything in the generator for the FG at all.
    For example the latest sprite he posted today, the dark king/necromancer, has no existing clothing part at all. There's nothing you can use. You'd have to give him a default generator clothing thing that doesn't match ths sprite at all. The same is true for his solider sprites and many others, and all of the headgears.

Daisetsu likes this.