Table Top Board Game

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by chaucer, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chaucer

chaucer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I've been playing around with the idea of a table top board-game/rpg hybrid( something like a cross between Mario Party, and
    a traditional rpg ), and the plugin I've been using is at a stable enough point to release a rough prototype of the board game it's still missing some features which I'd like to add, but I'd like to get feedback on it before i proceed any further, and now is a good time I think! A few things to note, not everything is perfect yet, there's a few things I'm planning to adjust or add at this point. The main thing I want to do is add a plugin parameter to remove the battle system from your game in case you don't need/want it, when disabled, instead of having a "action" command in the menu, it would be an "item" command, in which case you'd be able to use items from your inventory on the map! ( It would work something like using candies from Mario Party games ).

Here's a list of features I have planned for this plugin.

• Plugin Parameter to disable the custom battle system.
    • enemies from comments instead of note tags.
    • expose more script calls/plugin commands to make it more flexible to work with.
    • Add in more intelligent cpu based movements( at the moment everything is rng ).
    • A few minigames.

So how this plugin works, is pretty simple you create a map, which will act as a 'board game', you can build/decorate the map however you want. Then just add the note tag <boardgame>, and you've got a board game map! However there's still a few more steps to getting it working.

After you've got a map, you must set tile pieces, the tile pieces will act as waypoints for the player/cpu's to travel on. Waypoints are purely evented as well so hopefully this makes things a bit more user friendly! you can event whatever special sequences you want to happen whenever a character lands on a given waypoint,or tile piece.
    You can create tile pieces by adding a comment to the even you want to be a waypoint, this comment should look like this.

board_tile NEXT_TILE

just replace next tile, with the event id you want the player to move to after this tile! you can specify multiple choices by adding a comma, and adding a new event id. For example, if we were making event 1 a waypoint, and after the player was on event 1, we wanted him to be able to move to event 2 or 3, but have the option to choose, we would use a note tag like this.

board_tile 2, 3

One more ting about tile pieces, every map needs a starting tile! a starting tile is a tile that the player/enemies will first move to upon their first dice roll( when they are currently not standing on a tile ), and using the above example, if we waned event 1 to be our starting tile, we'd modify the comment to look like this.

board_tile start_tile 2, 3

Just make sure that all your waypoints are connected properly, and are all pointed to the proper events, and we're now halfway done with the hard part of the setup!

The last thing to do is populate the game with enemies! at the moment, the custom battle system I've built is not removable, meaning that enemies are required for this plugin to work, for now at least.

This parts pretty easy, make a new event, give it a character graphic of whatever you want the enemy to be, and add a note tag to the event that looks like this.

<enemy_id:ID>

Replace ID should correspond to the id of the enemy from the data you want to use, once you have your enemies setup, you should be free to playtest your board game!

Also here's a video to show what it looks like when the game is setup.

If you feel like testing it out for yourself, download the game here!

2. PixelGamerDev

PixelGamerDev Magia User Grade SSS Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks amazing, I could definitely do something with this.

3. Yougotsomechocolate

Yougotsomechocolate Random Chest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This could be used for something very cool in the future.

4. Arkaik

Arkaik Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Amazing! It' reminds me, somehow, of Yugioh Dungeon Dice Monsters.
    I'm very interested in this. :kaohi:

chaucer likes this.
  5. Nectar

Nectar Fried Ore0s Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Omg all the possibilities! Some sort of Halo Action clix vibe going through my head. Love it

chaucer likes this.