chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've been playing around with the idea of a table top board-game/rpg hybrid( something like a cross between Mario Party, and
a traditional rpg ), and the plugin I've been using is at a stable enough point to release a rough prototype of the board game it's still missing some features which I'd like to add, but I'd like to get feedback on it before i proceed any further, and now is a good time I think! A few things to note, not everything is perfect yet, there's a few things I'm planning to adjust or add at this point. The main thing I want to do is add a plugin parameter to remove the battle system from your game in case you don't need/want it, when disabled, instead of having a "action" command in the menu, it would be an "item" command, in which case you'd be able to use items from your inventory on the map! ( It would work something like using candies from Mario Party games ).

Here's a list of features I have planned for this plugin.

• Plugin Parameter to disable the custom battle system.
  • enemies from comments instead of note tags.
  • expose more script calls/plugin commands to make it more flexible to work with.
  • Add in more intelligent cpu based movements( at the moment everything is rng ).
  • A few minigames.

So how this plugin works, is pretty simple you create a map, which will act as a 'board game', you can build/decorate the map however you want. Then just add the note tag <boardgame>, and you've got a board game map! However there's still a few more steps to getting it working.

After you've got a map, you must set tile pieces, the tile pieces will act as waypoints for the player/cpu's to travel on. Waypoints are purely evented as well so hopefully this makes things a bit more user friendly! you can event whatever special sequences you want to happen whenever a character lands on a given waypoint,or tile piece.
You can create tile pieces by adding a comment to the even you want to be a waypoint, this comment should look like this.

board_tile NEXT_TILE

just replace next tile, with the event id you want the player to move to after this tile! you can specify multiple choices by adding a comma, and adding a new event id. For example, if we were making event 1 a waypoint, and after the player was on event 1, we wanted him to be able to move to event 2 or 3, but have the option to choose, we would use a note tag like this.

board_tile 2, 3

One more ting about tile pieces, every map needs a starting tile! a starting tile is a tile that the player/enemies will first move to upon their first dice roll( when they are currently not standing on a tile ), and using the above example, if we waned event 1 to be our starting tile, we'd modify the comment to look like this.

board_tile start_tile 2, 3

Just make sure that all your waypoints are connected properly, and are all pointed to the proper events, and we're now halfway done with the hard part of the setup!

The last thing to do is populate the game with enemies! at the moment, the custom battle system I've built is not removable, meaning that enemies are required for this plugin to work, for now at least.

This parts pretty easy, make a new event, give it a character graphic of whatever you want the enemy to be, and add a note tag to the event that looks like this.

<enemy_id:ID>

Replace ID should correspond to the id of the enemy from the data you want to use, once you have your enemies setup, you should be free to playtest your board game!

Also here's a video to show what it looks like when the game is setup.

If you feel like testing it out for yourself, download the game here!

PixelGamerDev

Magia User Grade SSS
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks amazing, I could definitely do something with this.

Yougotsomechocolate

Random Chest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This could be used for something very cool in the future.

Arkaik

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Amazing! It' reminds me, somehow, of Yugioh Dungeon Dice Monsters.
I'm very interested in this. :kaohi:

Nectar

Bees love me.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Omg all the possibilities! Some sort of Halo Action clix vibe going through my head. Love it

Sissel Cabanela

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@chaucer
I think the previous person was asking if this was still in development. I for one am also very curious about this and was wondering if you were willing to release the plugin in its current state for testing or further development. I'd be very interesting in helping out if I could.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Whats up? Sorry I haven't responded to this thread since I posted it.

As for if I'm still developing this, yes, however I have a lot of other things going on at the moment, I've got a few new plugins/updates coming before this comes out publicly, if you're interested in accessing the files, I believe the project I uploaded was unencrypted, you can access the JS files from there.

However the method I'd used for determining the 3D cube object, was... innefficient, to say the least. it was more of a test to see how efficient using pixi.meshes were, I don't think these are meant for actual 3D as it causes some weird mutations, as well as doesn't work well with larger objects.

When I release the public version it's going to be in pieces. a 3D renderer, a waypoint system, and a main boardgame plugin to tie it all together. My 3D renderer is nearly completed, and the waypoint system is just being tested. :)

I can't give an ETA for a public release, but It will probably be one of the plugins that I release sooner, than later.

Sissel Cabanela

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whats up? Sorry I haven't responded to this thread since I posted it.

As for if I'm still developing this, yes, however I have a lot of other things going on at the moment, I've got a few new plugins/updates coming before this comes out publicly, if you're interested in accessing the files, I believe the project I uploaded was unencrypted, you can access the JS files from there.

However the method I'd used for determining the 3D cube object, was... innefficient, to say the least. it was more of a test to see how efficient using pixi.meshes were, I don't think these are meant for actual 3D as it causes some weird mutations, as well as doesn't work well with larger objects.

When I release the public version it's going to be in pieces. a 3D renderer, a waypoint system, and a main boardgame plugin to tie it all together. My 3D renderer is nearly completed, and the waypoint system is just being tested. :)

I can't give an ETA for a public release, but It will probably be one of the plugins that I release sooner, than later.
From when I downloaded it, it was an encrypted single EXE, unless there is perhaps another link I'm not seeing? And that's interesting, I completely thought the dice was maybe a GIF of sorts.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhh, sorry I have the files laying around I'll post these old files when I get a chance, it's not a very flexible system at the moment though, I'm rebuilding it as we speak with customizability in mind.

Also yeah, no gif, using pixi meshes to simulate 3D, however as i said this was... inefficient. I've gone back to my initial integration of a webgl 3D renderer, which is much much faster, and much more accurate. despite the low fps of my gif, this is running at a full 60 fps without any stuttering. :) I'm just integrating textures, then it's ready for a public release, at it's base it won't do anything but I'll be extending this to things like the board game, a simple fps plugin, a 3D grid map editor, and a few battle systems I'm working on and more. All without requiring any large external libraries. :)

3D-Colored.gif

Sissel Cabanela

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's super awesome, yo! I'll be for sure keeping watch, though I'm useless with 3D stuff personally, way beyond my knowledge! I'm very impressed.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It will all be developed with ease of use in mind, no need to know much about 3D :)

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is very nice~!
I'm interested in this plugin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This is on the Amazon page for the FF7 Remake: 'If you get the game early, please think of others and don't spoil it for them. Please don't post videos or screenshots of the game until it is officially on sale on April 10.'
Gave my avatar an update, stay safe, people!
I'm currently available for hire for scripting (and perhaps other things).
Also, don't worry, the Advanced Minimap plugin is a work in progress.
Hallelujah! Work is getting stricter on humans in the store.
Day 3 of mapping... at least the whole game its just one location :3 (Still taking forever...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RitBro