RMMV Tailor Tales

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Celianna, Feb 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Tailor Tales is an otome game - a game for girls. It has been my baby project since 2009, and has now undergone 3 revisions. What would first be a Harvest Moon like game, with an open and free overworld to roam around in, turned into a strictly Visual Novel game with elements of designing your own fashion. In Tailor Tales, you assume the role of Joselina, an aspiring fashion designer that just opened her boutique to sell her own clothing line, set in a modern day fictional European country. As you become a fashion star, you will romance an eligible bachelor of your choice. Each guy with their own story and merits.

There are two main components of this game: the tailoring system in which you can design your own clothes, and the story mode for the bachelors that you want to romance. Designing your own clothing can be quite fun and complex, starting out with very few options until you buy more and more different clothing patterns to expand your wardrobe. You will have to earn money through designing clothes so that you can purchase the next chapter and finish the story.

The story will revolve around the bachelor you picked out, detailing a romance between you and him. During each chapter, a choice will come up, slightly influencing the story depending on which you've picked. There will be 2 endings for each bachelor, and several pretty CGs for each route.

C H A R A C T E R S ■■■

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S C R E E N S H O T S ■■■

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C R E D I T S ■■■

Artwork & Character Design:
    Celianna

Voices:
    Neil Forrester – PittyAids
    Angela Parker – Celianna
    Caine Prins – Jared Raman
    Sam Janssen – P.M. Seymour
    Dimitri Kotov – Aleks Le
    James Morgen – Bradley Gareth
    Sarah Jones – Amber Leigh
    Alex Kotov – Tuong Klein

Audio:
    Main theme – Tristan Wong
    José Moreno
    Karugamo
    Joel Steudler
    Hakan Eriksson
    Can Zengin
    Andy Doran
    Audiomarket
    NRHmusic
    Marlene de Grood
    Martynchuk
    Sean Brattan
    SereneSoundsMedia
    Hakan Eriksson
    Rafael Krux
    Den Kot
    Armor Rapista
    Michael Scott Weber
    Alanay
    Marco Zannone
    Shironosov Dmitriy
    Simon Stevens
    Marma Music

Programming:
    TDS
    Celianna
    Galenmereth
    Hudell
    Sly
    Yanfly

Degica
    Enterbrain

D O W N L O A D ■■■

Download Tailor Tales here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Starmage, Kemsyn, Hudell and 19 others like this.
  2. Haydeos

Haydeos The Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am...not a girl! However it still looks well made! I hope it gets finished!

Lunixx likes this.
  3. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Looks great so far! :)

- Which character are you most interested in?
    By visuals: Caine Prins, he got me most interessted while looking at all the characters, due to the nice color combination of his red hear and green eyes plus the freckles! <3 After reading I thought it could be fun to argue with him and trying to get him on the "right track" away from being a manipulative thief into being a more honest, open and caring person. And to give him some confidence.
    But from the discribtions I like Sam Janssen the best. He sounds like a really adorable man, haha. I'd love to take care of him and protect him from people treating him bad D: poor sweetheart.
    - Are you okay with following a single character's story, without the appearance of the other main characters?
    I guess I would be. Through it would be nice to have at least one scene that could involve one of the other characters. I have a weak spot for complex stories and choice influences, haha.
    - Are you okay with two endings, none of them which are a bad ending?
    Sure. Not every game does need "bad endings" they might not even suite this game. But it's nice that you plan more then one ending. They'd be like a good and a true one, I guess? :)
    - Are you interested in making clothes, or do you just want to read the story?
    It's a nice gimmick but I think I'd prefer the story unless you are able to sell your self tailored cloth at the store to make income and use that money on something like dates or gifts or such, ha ha.
    - Is it important the main character looks like you?
    No. Not at all. For me it's much more important that I like the design of the character itself. Because I like to have protagonists that make up pretty pairings with other character from the VN, haha. I somewhat feel uncomfortable with character that are build to look like yourself because.. I don't like to write myself into stories, haha. I rather enjoy a good story about fictional characters.
    - Do you think the design of the menu is clean and clear as to what each option means?
    Yes.
    - Are you okay with having one guy released at a time, instead of waiting a long time for all of them to be finished?
    Sure. Would be somewhat episodic. Like finding out little by little how her life could have went if she had choosen another guy. But you might consider that not every player might be interessted in every guy. On the other hand.. updates might increase the downloads and fanbase every time.
    - Do you want to be able to romance your own best friend, Sarah?
    I like GxG. So I would like that opportunity.

I will give the demo a try once I have some freetime.

4. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks amazing Celianna! I'll have to try it tomorrow when I have the time! I'll edit my post then!

5. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    - Which character are you most interested in?
    Maybe James and Sarah, but their names are so similar to people I know in real life lol (brother and childhood friend)

- Are you okay with following a single character's story, without the appearance of the other main characters?
    Do you mean with the bachelors? Sure.

- Are you okay with two endings, none of them which are a bad ending?
    No preference.

- Are you interested in making clothes, or do you just want to read the story?

I like both ideas.

- Is it important the main character looks like you?
    Not really. Though, since fashion is involved, I might as well be able to change some things about the main character like hair or skin tone. :p

- Do you think the design of the menu is clean and clear as to what each option means?

Yes.

- Are you okay with having one guy released at a time, instead of waiting a long time for all of them to be finished?
    Sure.

- Do you want to be able to romance your own best friend, Sarah?
    As a bisexual, I'd want the option to be there.

6. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your feedback!

Does anyone own a Mac around here and wants to test out the Mac beta version? I'm getting a report saying it doesn't launch at all.

7. bokunoyuki

bokunoyuki Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, I think I remember seeing this on the old RPGMakerVX forum. This has come a long way. Will definitely check this out, there's never enough otome games to play.

8. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's definitely been a while! This is the 3rd reboot of the project :)

Small update with screenshots:

Working with TDS who's making the tailoring system for me. This is an ingame screenshot:
    [​IMG]

And I finished up some more backgrounds!
    [​IMG]

WIP of another bachelor (that's way too far off into the future):
    [​IMG]

9. Badweather4cast

Badweather4cast Master Eventer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I couldn't help but play through the beta as soon as I saw this thread. Though short, it definitely had enough content to keep me both engaged and fiercely wanting more after the experience. And this isn't even my type of game, so nice work there. :)

Which character(s) are you most interested in?

Sam and Angela are the two that call to me. Sam reminds me of one of my coworkers, who has a very similar appearance and personality. Sounds like this Sam needs someone to help him deal with manipulative and pushy people! (And what's this mysterious "sister"? Will she play any role in this, I wonder? Hmm...)

Oh, and this is probably just me, but the shade of red and artistic nature of Angela sets my "Carmen Sandiego" senses a-tingling.

Are you okay with following a single character's story, without the appearance of the other main characters?

I suppose so, though either way I wouldn't mind.

Are you okay with two endings, none of them which are a bad ending?

As mentioned previously, not all games necessarily require bad endings among multiple endings. Though, having an ending that is neither good nor bad might be an interesting choice. So, yes, I don't think the lack of a not-so-great ending would really impact my experience, just having different endings is pretty darn cool.

Are you interested in making clothes, or do you just want to read the story?

For me personally, I would love to have both options available to me, either together between chapters, or in the form of two different modes at the least. From what I've seen of the game, though, it seems like you're probably going with the former, which would be pretty great.

Is it important the main character looks like you?

The MC usually doesn't have to have my appearance for me to get invested in the game, so no, it isn't important to me.

Do you think the design of the menu is clean and clear as to what each option means?

I thought so when I played through the beta. It took me a second to figure out how to save, but that was just me being incredibly stupid. ^^

Are you okay with having one guy released at a time, instead of waiting a long time for all of them to be finished?

I think releasing new characters periodically would be a great way to keep people excited about the game, and for me personally, I'd prefer to wait a short time for smaller new content than waiting a long, long time for a huge amount of new content. I say, keep the hype up!

Do you want to be able to romance your own best friend, Sarah?

Yes! I'm a lesbian myself, and having a bisexual options would not only make it more real, but super cool! We need more options like that in games, especially in the F/F department!

What are your first impressions after reading Neil’s first few chapters?

The way you set it up really urged me on with each chapter. I can't wait to find out more about Neil, he's definitely not being very pleasant thus far, but I feel like he's just closed himself in a lot and needs someone to open up to outside of family and work.

Do you think your choices reflect what you would personally do?

I tend to be as kind as I can be to people, even if they are giving me a really hard time. So yes, I think the choices were ones I would have made in real life should I have somehow ended up in this situation.

Are you hooked enough to continue reading?

You better bet I am!

How many fierce points and how many kind points did you score at the end?

4 fierce and 7 kind.

I sincerely hope you keep working on this project! Hopefully, if I have more time, I can do a chapter-by-chapter review of it for you.

10. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Badweather4cast thank you so much for your feedback! :D I'm glad it kept you engaged and wanting to find out more, despite Neil's horrible personality sometimes. I think you'll definitely enjoy the next update, which has up to chapter 12 and lots of exciting stuff happens. I'm also happy that you thought the options were more in line with what you would do in real life.

I definitely want to make Sarah an option, but she is taking a back seat to the other guys. She unfortunately fades into the background in most routes, I should probably add her in every now and then, rewriting some chapters.

When I showed the beta to some of my guys friends, they all wanted the option to punch Neil in the face :( I'm really against adding the option to slap someone else, but I guess if lots of people want the option ...

Badweather4cast likes this.
  11. Shugo

Shugo Low Life Hiomaika Enthusiast Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, I played the demo a while ago (and probably will play again for the sake of re-reading) and I won't be able to answer all questions, but here we go.

===============================

Are you okay with following a single character's story, without the appearance of the other main characters?

Yes, I don't think that it would be utterly necessary to do so, but would be a nice thing to see in certain scenarios, for example to see how x character interact with y character.

Yes, if one is a "normal" end.

A minigame of making clothes could be interesting (or just selecting a choice for combinations maybe).

Not really. It feels a bit awkward to imagine myself as the character, but that is just for me myself.
    But I still like to imagine the protagonist looking a certain way, if costumization for them is avaiable.

Do you think the design of the menu is clean and clear as to what each option means?

Over all, yes, I only got confused for a few seconds to where the save spot was, but that was just me being a bit slow to click.

Are you okay with having one guy released at a time, instead of waiting a long time for all of them to be finished?

Yes, however I think that this could make the longest released character probably the most remarkable or forgotten maybe.
    Aside that, I think that this could call more attention for the project when new demos gets released, if the previous characters didn't catch the attention of new players (even if their portrait and info about them was already shown).

If possible, yes, please.

What are your first impressions after reading Neil’s first few chapters?

The first chapter seemed to escalate so quickly at a certain point and it was so fun to read, Neil is a lovable character that is also good to hate taking how he acts towards you. Can't wait to see how things will go on from there.

Do you think your choices reflect what you would personally do?

Yes and no. I can totally see myself doing some of them, but others I have a hard time thinking on what I would even do.

Are you hooked enough to continue reading?

Of course!

How many fierce points and how many kind points did you score at the end?

Might edit this post later to answer this properly, since I can't right now, sorry.
    Edit: Ok just got to see how it went and... 4 fierce and 7 kind.
    I'm surprised it wasn't mostly fierce in the end.

===============================

English is not my main language, so I'm sorry if something is written in a odd way.
    Over all, I really like what you're doing with your project and the dedication going into it, so GJGJ

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  12. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The old version VX/VXA used to look soo cute, why that became a visual novel?

13. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shugo thanks for playing the beta and for your feedback! You're the second person to say they were confused on where to save the game, no worries, I'm going to add a save button on the main menu for easier access, so people can't miss it :) Happy to see you enjoy Neil's route, hopefully I'll have the next beta out soon, I just need to finish up drawing some CGs.

You should probably replay Chapter 1 if you're going to try out the next beta, since I added an entire new scene.

@RocketKnight I had to make a choice. I wasn't able to find a solution to having an open world (walk around, talk to people) while still also have a chronological order to my story (if in the story someone is mad at you, then walking up and talking to them would obviously turn into a fight). Basically, there were too many variables to account for if I wanted it to run smoothly. I polled some people on my blog, and the majority actually wanted a visual novel style, instead of the open world one.

So I went back to the drawing board, and I focused on what's important to my game: the romance and the clothing. I focused on that, which now became a visual novel with a clothing mini-game. As much as I liked the original idea, this new idea is at least feasible, and has an actual playable beta - whereas none of my other versions ever had a real playable demo.

Shugo, RocketKnight and Guiguimu like this.
  14. Guiguimu

Guiguimu The best revenge is massive success Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'll have to try this one out when I get some free time... It looks spectacular!
    I really love your art style, I think this is cute as heaven!
    I'll give my full answers asap, but for the time being, I'll give my opinion based on my eyes!

Which character are you most interested in?
    James Morgan, But this is one of those answers I'll have to edit later, when I actually play the game...
    Yes, I am.
    Of course! All is well when it ends well, right?
    Both seem pretty interesting! I like to make clothes in real life, and I like to read books in real life. Joining both would be wonderful for a game!
    No, not really to be honest.
    It seems awesome so far, but I'll give a better answer later!
    Well, yes, I am.
    I don't have anything against it, I'm hetero but I don't mind it being an option. Others may prefer Sarah. In the end, with who we romance it's our choice, right?

Anyway, keep up the great work!

15. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well that certainly seems like a game made for you, hah. I've got someone working on the clothing system, and I have to compromise on a few parts here and there, but other than that, it should give you a load of options to create something cool and unique. You can for example, choose loads of different necklines, sleeves, collars, hemlines, skirt lengths or styles ... and each component can have its own colour and pattern. You can then slap on some detail like ribbons, buttons, zippers, or who knows what else, to really complete the look.

Funny thing is, when I'm drawing these different components, everything ends up looking like a wedding dress because it's white ...

[​IMG]

I almost want to tell you to wait until the next beta is out before you download and try the game, since it'll have 24k words and some updated scenes.

RocketKnight and Shugo like this.
  16. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Also liked this version better that visual novel :( @Celianna what about those character graphics? They were so cute, like in first HM game!

RocketKnight likes this.
  17. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @fizzly I think she gonna release a graphic pack soon, check out her twitter
    @Celianna I had played that version (Visual Novel) and looks really good, can you include a male option for main player? :uwink:

18. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Beta 0.2 is out now! You can read chapters 1 through 12 of Neil's route. No clothing system added yet, purely novel reading at the moment.

New characters are introduced, new backgrounds, two new CGs, and some added voices! If you didn't like Neil that much from the first beta, I highly recommend reading until chapter 12 - if you still don't like his route, then you won't change your mind.

Oh, I made a mistake, you can't save in this version. Woops. At least you can still change chapters on your own, so it's not that much of an issue.

Tailor Tales beta v. 0.2

[​IMG]

Feedback is very much welcomed! If you tried beta 0.2 here are some questions.

- Did you like the added sound bites for Neil, the sighs and grunts? Or would you prefer to do without?
    - Do you think the backgrounds are interesting enough?
    - Do you like the new scene added with the grandma? (if you've played the first beta only)
    - Would you prefer an actual drawn portrait sprite for the grandma?
    - How long did it take you to complete chapters 1 through 12?
    - How many fierce points and kind points did you score at the end?

Questions for after playing chapters 1 through 12. PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS FROM NOW ON!!
    - Were you initially fooled during chapter 12, thinking it was Neil?
    - Did it become obvious the black haired man was Neil instead?
    - Do you like or hate Neil's new sprite?
    - Did you spot the falling star?
    - Did you like the CGs and which one was your favourite?
    - Did the second CG properly display your selected hair colour and skin tone?
    - Did your opinion of Neil change? Do you like him more now, or hate him even more?
    - Do you want to know what happens next?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    RocketKnight likes this.
  19. Shugo

Shugo Low Life Hiomaika Enthusiast Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh boy, here we go with the feedback again.
    =========================================================
    Did you like the added sound bites for Neil, the sighs and grunts? Or would you prefer to do without?
    It was quite amusing to hear him a bit. For me it is fine with these small sounds.
    Do you think the backgrounds are interesting enough?
    For most backgrounds, yes, only one or two feel like they have a bit of an empty spot.
    Do you like the new scene added with the grandma? (if you've played the first beta only)
    Yes!! That helped relate more to why the protagonist started to sew and etc, also making it way more visible how much she cared for her!!
    Would you prefer an actual drawn portrait sprite for the grandma?
    No, I don't think that this is necessary.
    How long did it take you to complete chapters 1 through 12?
    More or less 1:30~1:40.
    How many fierce points and kind points did you score at the end?
    6 fierce and 12 kind.
    =========================================================
    Were you initially fooled during chapter 12, thinking it was Neil?
    COMPLETELY FOOLED.
    Did it become obvious the black haired man was Neil instead?
    After that... he became quite suspicious, but I can't say I was sure it was him until his tongue slipped.
    Do you like or hate Neil's new sprite?
    I like it!
    Did you spot the falling star?
    Yes!!!
    Did you like the CGs and which one was your favourite?
    Yes and the mirror/top CG.
    Did the second CG properly display your selected hair colour and skin tone?
    Yes.
    Did your opinion of Neil change? Do you like him more now, or hate him even more?
    A bit, I like him more now. Aside from tricking me on chapter 12.
    Do you want to know what happens next?
    Yes!!!

Celianna likes this.
  20. Celianna

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shugo thanks for playing the new beta! I'm glad the sound bites are amusing to you, it was experimental in this beta, but so far, so good :)

Mission accomplished! Fooling the player by making them think I was too lazy to draw a new pose/hairstyle for Neil for his costume sprite, when in reality he was the black haired man all along.

And kudos to seeing the falling star! Just a little extra I added in there :D

Which options did you pick in chapter 12? Did you kiss him first, or not, and did you slap him, or not? I had a lot of people that wanted the option to slap him, so I added it in there.

Happy to hear you're enjoying his route and want to know what happens next. I'm really hoping that I can release the next beta with the clothing system as well.

Shugo likes this.