Taking an infinite break from RPG Maker.

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by stupid enough to like FF13, Apr 19, 2016.

1. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Making a game is about creativity and passion. In the end, it's probably roughly 20% creativity, 80% passion. And for various reasons, I have been completely devoid of the passion and motivation needed to make my dreams into reality. Rather than continue to smash my head against a brick wall, I've decided to take an indefinite break from RPG Maker, and perhaps try to rediscover the spark that made me want to make games in the first place, away from all of the pressures that only serve to kill whatever little passion I can muster.

I certainly must thank all of the peeps who've helped me learn what little I know about doing anything in RPG Maker, and all of the peeps who've taken part in the many interesting discussions on game design around here. Best wishes to everyone trying to make the game of their dreams, and don't let little things bring you and your passion down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
    Marsigne and Nirwanda like this.
  2. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No! :(  You're awesome Lily, why do you have to leave...  ;_;

*reads actual post*

Aww.... Well, I guess it can't be helped, smashing heads against walls is only a viable option for so long. I wish you the best of luck in your next adventure and know that you'll always be welcomed here!  :cutesmile: :thumbsup-right:

3. Bicept

Bicept Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I felt the same way with programming C++, sometimes moving on to something new can open you up to new opportunities!

4. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :o But you were my to go gal to solve rm doubts! :(

I wish you the best in whatever new endeavor you pursue, maybe we'll see you again, good luck. :)

5. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I always find playing games is a way to re-spark that love of games that makes you want to make them. Good luck in re-capturing that love.

6. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Take what time you need and we hope to see you again soon!

7. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I had, quite foolishly, thought that returning and partaking in discussion here would reinvigorate my desire to make games. However, in that time, I was only reminded of why I lost my passion to begin with—people who grasp at every chance they can get to bash games; the constant spouting of and cheering for blatant lies, even after the falsehood is pointed out; the desperate obsession that people have with needing to believe games they don't like are terrible and miserable failures; and, most of all, the reminder that, even if I were to make games people enjoyed, the moment I make a game that isn't exactly what some "fans" want, they will devote themselves to making my life and any fans' lives hell and wishing the worst upon me and my work.

Not all people are like this, of course. It happens to be that, while plenty of other games have perfectly peaceful fandoms, most of the games I enjoy have such vitriolic "fan"doms. It's long been at the point where I'm perfectly well aware that merely mentioning one such game will immediately prompt someone to start complaining about it. And as much as I was once inspired and motivated to create by the games I enjoy, the desperate need of people to attack not just the games I enjoy but also the people who enjoy them has completely torn that motivation to shreds.

And so I've decided that it is in my best interests, simply for my personal happiness and productivity, to withdraw myself from the gaming community—permanently. I simply do not want to have anything to do with the gaming community—whether it is discussing games or even creating them. It isn't the first time I've felt this way, but I'm hoping that it will be the last.

Best of luck to everyone, and may you never be afraid to talk about the games that inspire you.

Marsigne likes this.
  8. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No... Well, I say sorry for the gaming community on a whole then. I wish you could stay but oh well.

We wish you the best in life and really hope that permanent doesnt actually mean permanent. I'm sorry to see you go, but have fun in your next venture Lily!

Marsigne likes this.
  9. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Can't always agree with everyone, sadly. Learning to disregard other people's opinions and just assume my own was a big part of growing up to me. There are some pretty stupidly vindictive people out there (not that i'm saying anybody in this community is, I'm just talking in general) and sometimes you just have to learn to let go. Not always easy. Now, I'm not saying you aren't grown up either, just sharing my personal experience :)  Taking breaks also does wonder, you have to manage your motivation and your energy. So have a great rest and may you someday come back, more motivated then ever ;)

Marsigne likes this.
  10. Ejronin

Ejronin Grand Eater of Bacon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't know you all too well, and from what I've seen I don't particularly like how you say much of what you have and question your motives because of things like I see here. However, I do understand my exposure to you is rather limited and by some accounts your contributions have made valuable impact on others. Yes, mentioning a particular title draws fire upon you - but, you also draw it to yourself in getting overly defensive of a rather innocuous opinion regarding anything outside the practical purpose of the site. It's your golden calf - apparently it's also well known it is your golden calf, but you've allowed it to be your Achilles Heel as well and yet you continue to engage and subject yourself to browbeating. Many will interpret this as just general immaturity, but others may see it as attention seeking behavior. 

Case in point, writing a farewell address stating that you're just not into it and hit a wall, returning 12 days later to explain that it's partly because people disapprove of your opinions but in those 12 days diligently posting on your one hot button topic with a flurry of fire. That's textbook attention seeking behavior; waiting around to see who shows up to your funeral and pushing to get sympathy when or if you don't feel there's enough fanfare. Maybe that's not really what is happening but if you can tell me it doesn't reasonably appear that way if you saw someone else do it, I'm all ears. 

Christopher Hitchens once remarked in a debate that, "the hallmark of a strong position is that it is falsifiable, not that it is unfalsifiable." What he meant was an irrefutable position often comes from a premise of poor quality or lacking a genuine intention - appearing beyond reproach for the sake of a empty 'win.' I don't think you've learned this with regard to your golden calf. With that, self-deception is your stumbling block and lack of self-control is its vehicle.

What you don't lack is willpower and tenacity. So I call BS on your farewell message as loss of willpower and motivation.

My point isn't to further berate you, rather tersely inspire a hard look at what you actually want and how little sense your 'reasons' make. I don't believe for a moment that you're out of energy and ready to quit. At various points over two days, you expended energy and time on defending an opinion that has no tangible bearing on anything and didn't need defending if formed correctly Despite efforts to steer it away from your attention, you brought it right back in focus with opportunity you had - given or otherwise, and annoyingly so.

You can think I'm an a-hole all day, but it makes no sense for someone throw in a towel because of hurt feelings and anger, exposure, or other superficial thins. As I said, you've clearly had a positive impact on people and robbing a community of otherwise substantive input, and yourself of a creative outlet and opportunity is criminal. I may not encourage discussion between us and we don't have to like each other and get along, but I truly encourage you to reconsider quitting a passion on that premise alone.

Suck it up and move forward. You can do better and you know you can, so do it. 

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
    taarna23 and Marsigne like this.
  11. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ejronin Hahahaha duuuude...you're wasting soooo much of your time, you don't even know. (☞ ՞ਊ ՞)☞ Anyway don't worry, she'll be back soon enough to continue arguing with you. Do something fun and productive in the meantime.

Dalph and AwesomeCool like this.