RMMV Tales Of Nowhere - The Video Game [DEMO available]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by eslabon, Mar 19, 2018.

1. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

The game is in it's early stages, but I have enough for a trailer and a demo!

TRAILER

SYNOPSIS

This is a video game based on an actual play podcast which uses multiple table top RPGs to tell a cohesive story. (https://www.talesofnowhere.com/)

Four heroes from different worlds unite to repair a fractured multiverse guided by the man who broke it, and begin a journey ... they will never forget.

Join our heroes; Issac, Kirin, Hondo, and Thayne as they travel through multiple genres to put the multiverse back in order, and discover the mysterious plot of an unseen foe.

CHARACTERS

[​IMG] Issac Wexler - Space Faring Conman

From a sci-fi universe of stars and ships, this explorer discovers more about the universe than he ever dreamed.

[​IMG] Kirin - Superhero

Kirin comes from a world of superheroes … and supervillains. Like the others, she’s been ripped from her world to an unknown place, but with a passing knowledge of the multiverse, Kirin seems to be taking it all in stride.

[​IMG] Chuck (The Midnight) Hondo - Texas Ranger

From the 1800s, Hondo is the most out of place of all our heroes and he feels it. However, his charm and dedication pull through and make him an invaluable member of the team.

[​IMG] Thayne Dedrich - Criminal

Hailing from a dystopian Earth future, Thayne may be rough around the edges, but knows a thing or two about friendship and loyalty.

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will post updates to this thread as I make (slow but steady) progress, so please keep an eye out!

DEMO OUT NOW!!
    UPDATE - I've updated the demo with new artwork for Copernicus and a bug fix. It's now version 0.2
    Windows:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wk338jj1ak046h/ToN-VideoGame-DEMOv0.2.zip?dl=1

Mac:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5rrphh6vvwxsbj/ToN-VideoGame-DEMOv0.2-MAC.zip?dl=1

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you an update and provide a few more details about the game and what to expect from the upcoming demo. As I stated in the 1st post, this game is based on a podcast. For those of you who are not familiar with the podcast, it's a group of 4 players playing multiple different tabletop RPGs. They created their characters from different RPGs for example Issac is from "Stars Without Number", Kirin is from "Mutants and Masterminds", Hondo is from "Savage Worlds: Deadlands", and Thayne is from "Shadowrun".

They are drawn together by a mad scientist and then sent to various different “universes” which are represented by different tabletop RPGs. The first one they go to is Dungeons & Dragons.

So, in the game, you’ll have the option to choose one of the 4 heroes. You’ll play the brief backstory leading up to their arrival at the scientist’s lab. From there, you’ll get some additional info from the scientist and be sent on a mission to the first area which in the game will be a traditional JRPG setting to reflect the D&D setting in the podcast.

The demo will contain all of the backstories and take you up to the first town in the D&D area. It should give you a good idea of what to expect from the game.

Progress toward demo

So far, I have Issac and Hondo’s backstories complete. Kirin’s and Thayne’s are both almost complete but still need to be finished. The lab and Cafe Nowhere are built out and events are in place to progress the story through that area. I need to add a little more to the dialogue just before going to the town of Winter Rest though. Also, I need to finish fleshing out Winter Rest.

I’m still hoping for a demo release this weekend. We’ll see how it goes!

3. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I didn’t make this weekend for the release of the demo. (Due in part to a work emergency) So, next weekend it is! Kirin’s level is complete now and Thayne’s is just around the corner. I have Winter Rest nearly done as well.

Here are a few screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starmage likes this.
  4. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You have some seriously cute artworks!! ^__^ It's also Sci-fi!! :D Sweeet!! ^^ I'm lovin' the screenie with those green cyber floors ! :)

5. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you Starmage! The character art is actually done by the DM of the podcast. :)

Starmage likes this.
  6. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The DEMO is now ready!

You can download it here:

UPDATE - I've updated the demo with new artwork for Copernicus and a bug fix. It's now version 0.2
    Windows:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wk338jj1ak046h/ToN-VideoGame-DEMOv0.2.zip?dl=1

Mac:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5rrphh6vvwxsbj/ToN-VideoGame-DEMOv0.2-MAC.zip?dl=1

The demo contains all of the backstories and will take you up to the first town in the D&D area. It should give you a good idea of what to expect from the full version.

As with any demo, there are bound to be some bugs and issues but there shouldn’t be too many. There will also be some changes as the rest of the game progresses and I’ll update the demo where appropriate. One thing I will be revisiting is the battle system.

I greatly appreciate any feedback and constructive criticism.

Thank you for checking it out and I hope you enjoy the demo!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Starmage and Yulia like this.
  7. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone! I wanted to post an update. I've been working on mapping and scribbled out a rough idea of the whole Kingdom of Ishmar and where I think things will be located. Here's an image of that sketch:
    [​IMG]

To that end, I started working on the lake side path that leads up to Ishmar including a witch's hut made using the amazing resources by PandaMaru. (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/marus-mv-bits.46811/)
    [​IMG]

I also started using the trees made by PandaMaru and they look so wonderful that I'm going back and adding some to the Winter Rest area. It makes a HUGE difference:
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checking in!

8. SauloCVG

SauloCVG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks very promising and interesting! Keep up! The witch's hut looks very nice btw.

eslabon likes this.
  9. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  10. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, time for an update!

I've been working almost exclusively on mapping since last time. I've been creating the city of Ishmar and the surrounding areas.

I got to thinking about how I wanted to configure the area, and I was having a hard time visualizing all of it together... So I made a HUGE map and brought in the separate maps I was making so I could see how they all interacted together. I'll be separating them back out for the game so it doesn't cause lag due to its size, but seeing it all together was very helpful in creation of the individual maps!

Here's what I have of the one large map so far.
    [​IMG]

The map size in RPG Maker MV only goes to 256 x 256 so I'll have to continue some of it on another map and stitch it all together in GIMP. I'm doing that so I can create a map graphic of the area that the player can pick up from an NPC at some point.

I also made a quick sketch of the whole area so you can see what I'm shooting for:
    [​IMG]

I should have more than enough locations for this part of the game since it's only one part of a much larger game. I still want it to feel like its own little game though. Each world should feel different and be its own little game within the whole.

Anyway, please let me know what you think. Soon my schedule will become more consistent and I should be able to make more rapid progress with everything. :hhappy:

11. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Still mapping! :) Mapping takes an enormous amount of time! I've finished the mountain village, the south port town and the north port town. I now just need to create the desert town and the Underdark city and then I'll be finished with the mapping for this whole section of the game.

After that it's on to the eventing. I also created a few more action sequences. I put them in a 3-5 minute game called Bump In The Night. I made it for Drifty and Tea's 5 minute game jam. (https://itch.io/jam/5-minute-game-jam) The sequences are very basic, but if you want to check that game out, it's here: https://quantumphasetech.itch.io/bump-in-the-night. I'll be putting those action sequences in this game as well as many more.

12. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Check it out! I've finished the mapping of the Ishmar area:
    [​IMG]

And I turned it into an antique looking map you can buy in game from an NPC:
    [​IMG]

Clockwarkgate likes this.
  13. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do like how you were able to map such a large map, I think it takes real pratice and some talent to be able to do it, at the same time though I'm not sure that style of map would work well in-game. I just feel it be too large to navigate and explore in it. The towns look ok, but they seem to be a huge distance appart. Usually in RPG Maker games they would be mapped individually.

I'm not saying I'm right for certain, but my first impression would be it's way too big. It may work fine in the game depending what your doing so I'd have to wait for a demo to know for certain.

But, if your going to go ahead with that map, and you also have random encounters, don't make the mistake of making them too high.

As for the map the player can buy, it looks good. Well done. :)

14. Clockwarkgate

Clockwarkgate RGSS2 User Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    This looks interesting! I love the character designs. And that map, is this going to be one of those free roam adventure game? :ewink::hswt:

15. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks like a cool game and I've downloaded the demo to try it out...but I so wanted this to be a courage the cowardly dog rpg when I saw the title :p.

16. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your replies! In the game you actually won't be able to traverse the whole map. Each town is in it's own isolated map with transfer events taking you to the paths between the towns. I took the various town maps and stitched them together in Gimp to make that full map. (Along with a lot of additional mapping to fill out the rest of it) I probably spent too much time mapping this to be honest since no one will be able to roam the whole thing. :rswt

Clockwarkgate likes this.
  17. eslabon

eslabon Member Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone! Yes, I am still working on this. :rwink:

Every area of Ishmar is now accessible. I've done the events leading up to the visit with the King. He'll give the party a quest to the Underdark which is where the boss battle of this world will take place. Here are some screenshots of the Underdark:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll keep you up to date as I keep making progress!

atoms and MaGicBush like this.