Tales of Series

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by WizzyT, Mar 13, 2012.

1. WizzyT

WizzyT Slayer of Fades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Confirmed European release for Tales of XIllia?

2. Kread-EX

Kread-EX You're all bakas Veteran

First Language:
    French
    There's no official announcement but somebody found budding Italian and French translations in the source code, and the Paris Japan Expo from July 2011 stated the "very probable EU localization".

Considering we got localized Nippon Ichi titles (heaven's forbid), I'm convinced there will be a EU release.

"Confirmed" was a pretty bad choice of words, though.

3. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    Got me excited :p .

I know they mentioned a localisation if there was enough interest in it (Surely there has to be).

I hope we get Xillia (Or US atleast so i can order it in).

4. kirinelf

kirinelf *Stare* Veteran

First Language:
    Hakka
    Nice to see all you Tales fans. Didn't think there was such a big following here. Now, I wonder when we'll see a simple (ToP or ToD style) LMBS script for VXA...

I stopped a lot of console gaming about 1/4 through Vesperia. Not quite sure why, although I highly suspect my PC. >_>

Completed Phantasia (GBA), Destiny R (One of my favorite PS2 games), Eternia (One of my favorite PSX games ever), Graces, Narikiri Dungeon 3, Hearts, Radiant Mythologies 1-3.

Played, but never completed (For various reasons) Destiny PSX, Legendia, Abyss, Rebirth, Innocence, Tempest, Phantasia PSX, SNES and PSP, Narikiri X, Graces f, Narikiri Dungeons 1 and 2, Vesperia, Symphonia: Knights of Ratatosk (That's Dawn of the New World to you guys), VS.

Never played: Xillia, Eternia Online, Coded.

5. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    Unfortunately here in the UK we never got half of those games :(

Localisation severely ruins the jRPG market here.

6. kirinelf

kirinelf *Stare* Veteran

First Language:
    Hakka
    Yeah, localization is a second point for Namco. They're more focused on their big ones like Tekken. xD And then you being in the UK makes it even worse, from what I hear. Only half of the games that make it to the states get to you guys, no?

Localized Games

Tales of Phantasia (GBA) (SNES translation unofficial)

Tales of Destiny (PSX)

Tales of Eternia (PSX) (Localized as Tales of Destiny II due to trademarks)

Tales of Legendia (PS2) (Missing voices for the character missions after beating the final boss)

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)

Tales of the Abyss (PS2)

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP)

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii)

Tales of Vesperia (XBOX360)

Tales of Graces f (PS3)

Non-Localized Games

Tales of Phantasia (PSX, PSP)

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon (GBC, PSP)

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (GBA)

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 (GBA)

Tales of Rebirth (PS2, PSP)

Tales of Symphonia (PS2)

Tales of the Tempest (DS)

Tales of Innocence (DS) (Unofficial translation by Absolute Zero)

Tales of Destiny: R (PS2)

Tales of the Abyss (3DS)

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (PSP)

Tales of Hearts (DS)

Tales of Vesperia (PS3)

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (PSP)

Tales of VS (PSP)

Tales of Xillia

This is all off the top of my head. I might've missed some, or the information might not be accurate, but hey, thought it might be fun to test my memory.

7. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    Pretty much yea, also they tend to massively limit the releases here so even when they do come out if you don't pick it up within 2/3 weeks you wont get it.

My Local Game store had 3 copies of Vesperia, Total.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  8. kirinelf

kirinelf *Stare* Veteran

First Language:
    Hakka
    Doesn't help that they barely advertise the series, and they have the worst timing ever. Seriously. I think they released Vesperia around the time of FFXIII? Or was it Dragon Warrior IX? something like that. Either way, they usually get overshadowed big time, although it doesn't seem to affect Japanese releases. I've been to a Japanese store that had an entire floor devoted to Tales, so it's really only the overseas attention that suffers. At least they finally seem to have realized that yes, they DO have an audience.

9. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    Tales of XIllia outsold FFXIII-2 :D .

10. kirinelf

kirinelf *Stare* Veteran

First Language:
    Hakka
    It's one of the top four RPGs in Japan. Tales, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ys. It's no surprise it outsold FFXIII-2 there, especially since the huge changes in FFXIII and FFXIII-2 turned away many old fans of the series.

11. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

12. Shin

Shin Veteran Veteran

I am considering buying a PS3 just to play Tales of Graces.

13. kirinelf

kirinelf *Stare* Veteran

First Language:
    Hakka
    Lawl. I took his words at face value. I'm not too sure. But either way, Tales is one of the most famous RPGs in Japan.

Do it. It's one of the better 3D Tales of battle systems out there. I haven't tried Xillia yet so I can't speak for it, but all signs point to it possibly being the best 3D Tales of battle system. In my opinion, the best 2D battle system is Tales of Destiny: Remake's Aerial Chain Capacity Linear Motion Battle System for the PS2, although others argue the Three Line Linear Motion Battle System for Tales of Rebirth is pretty dayum spiffy.

14. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
  15. CocoKitty

CocoKitty Penniless Insomniac (´;ω;`) Veteran

First Language:
    English&French
    Bwahhhh I haven't had a chance to go out and buy it yet, I have too many games to play!

I did however, buy ToA for the 3DS. It was definitely my fave in the series, and I played it on the PS2, so I was happy that it was finally ported to something I can drag around EVERYWHERE!

16. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    FAO Admin: Bringing this back up for latest discussion of ToX2 and various or points.

So I suppose I'll talk a bit about Graces first, I loved it to begin with and in all honesty it was a let down later in the game.

I never got comfortable with the game at all, the soundtrack was stunning however.

Second Namco Bandai have an announcement coming up it seems and it's highly anticipated to be the Localisation announcement of Tales of Xillia :D .

Thirdly Tales of Xillia 2 - JP getting it before we even get 1 :p .

17. Samven

Samven Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Agreed. Graces started on a really strong note. It identified all the characters early on, set us up for a big, epic political clash and then built up to something even bigger. However, my biggest issue is... the friendship. Oh God, the friendship. Just... There's having the team unite as a single, awesome army of badassery, there's having a ragtag bunch of misfits come together and band together for the common good and then there's My Little Graces.

Apart from that, though, the writing was pretty solid and the voices mostly carried it well. Jamieson Price I thought was a bit excessive for Mmmmmalik but he pulled it off in the end and Steve Staley was just... God-tier casting. Pascal's voice actress gives possibly the best performance in the whole series, in any language. Just... wow. The only one I wasn't a fan of was Asbel's. Papenbrook is good and all but he just... he doesn't sound like a nobleman. I dunno why but I just keep picturing Asbel as a surfer with his voice. I'd have stuck him in a role like Reid, TBH.

Anywhoo... About the Xillias. Don't get your hopes up. I hate to be That Guy but, trust me, Namco's localisation staff feed on human suffering. First, they'll raise your hopes, then they'll ignore your pleas for the game, then they'll release a beta version in Japan and then they'll say they have no interest in bringing it to the west... and if you're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order.

18. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    They have some pre translated pieces in the game already along with the place holders for multiple languages so I can keep my fingers crossed just now.

Pascal's voice acting was stunning I have to admit despite me disliking the character.

19. Samven

Samven Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I loved her, honestly. I think she can be read as one of the best fictional Aspies out there... each to their own, though.

I can understand your reasons for being optimistic about Xillia coming over here but just take this from someone who's had his heart crushed by his game-making heroes so much so it now resembles a sun-dried tomato. Don't get too disappointed if it doesn't come out.

20. WizzyT

First Language:
    English
    I've been crushed time and time again, especially coming from a position in the industry.

The stories I have heard from various heads of companies is insane in regards to localising specific titles or starting the process for other companies and then it falling through.