RMMV Tales of the Fallen - Volume I (Commercial Project)

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by zaxwlyde, Jun 19, 2019.

?

Does the idea presented in the thread seem interesting to you?

1. Yes, and it is something I'd consider buying at release.

2. I'm not sure, I'd need to see a demo of it in action first before making decisions.

3. No, it is not that interesting to me and I would not buy it.

4. No, it is an interesting project, but not my style of game.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaxwlyde

zaxwlyde Father, Designer, Author, Food-Enthusiast. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, Everyone!

I'd like to discuss a project I've recently put into pre-production, though it is far too early for anything properly 'showable'. It's an immersive adventure title tentatively named Tales of the Fallen. Conceptualized in early May, and put into pre-production on the 1st of June. I figured I'd reach out here and throw a thread out to get some feedback on if people enjoy the idea or not. Additionally, this will be a commercial project.

What is Tales of the Fallen?
    Tales of the Fallen is an adventure title in pre-production on RPG Maker MV. It focuses on a series of dark tales told through three separate scenarios within a grim fantasy universe. Rather than being the 'hero' of the story, you are an observer with an ounce of control.

You'll find yourself in the Rift of the Fallen, where the memories of those who have passed on remain for eternity. Through a series of bad choices in your own life, you have been deemed 'fit' to suffer the punishment of watching the final moments of others. Each Tale that you embark upon will show you the course of actions leading up to someone else's death, played through their very own perspective. Each Tale will utilize different immersive game mechanics, but will remain combat-free.

Tales of the Fallen has been designed for those who like immersive, narrative-driven titles. You will travel through several tightly developed stories, each with their own narrative branches and unique plot details. You'll find characters rich with intrigue and detailed backstories, pick up on clues that may allude to something far more grim at stake, and witness high-impact cinematic moments meant to strike the nerves.
    What does it include?
    • Three separate scenarios, each with a grim story and a dark ending. Each scenario is estimated to be between four and six hours in length.
    • Immersive game-play elements, each painstakingly handcrafted to fit the plot at work. Perhaps a Murder-Mystery with deep plot elements, dynamic branching narrative, choice and consequence, item interaction, and more? Or how does a full-fledged rebellion focusing on strategy tactics that affect the outcome, tight character relationships that can affect available options, and live-cinematic interactions, causing one of three separate endings sound?
    • A journal that can be viewed at any time, using deeply descriptive details to recount the choices you have made, as well as reminding you of the consequences your actions have brought.
    • The first volume of stories in a continuing universe, expandable overtime with user-base interest.

Why make it?

I'm a huge fan of story-centric games that are cinematic. Many might find that this could be delivered in a 3D medium instead, but I have always had 2D games at the heart of anything I've worked on. Something that has always been in the back of my mind is the idea of working on a title that contains a series of varying stories, each of them shorter. This way I can keep development focused tightly on them without worrying about scope-creep, weave a variety of plots that can capture the interest of different audiences potentially, and bring together some cool new concepts! I'm unsure how people would react to this idea, and I imagine it's been done before, but I'd love for some feedback or thoughts by the community and figured everyone in this one would be the best to turn to. I'd love to hear your thoughts, and am ALWAYS open to any kind of criticism (just please make sure it is constructive!) Thank you for your time!

~Zach (Zaxwlyde)

2. Lilly

Lilly Joy Bringer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It sounds kinda interesting, are there voice acting?

3. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Lilly! The goal is to try to get voice acting into it, but that would be additional funds that could take away from development. If it was a heavily requested thing, I can really try to look deeper into the options for that.

4. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, look to me for a bit voice acting>
    I'd love to help out!

5. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aboslutely! Once we're a bit further along, I would not mind bringing VA on board!

6. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE 06/26
    Tales of the Fallen's Introductory cinematic is now in development after a conceptual phase, once the prototype cinematic is completed, I will be posting it for view as a sneak-peek!

SINCE CREATION OF THIS POST
    Tales of the Fallen: Volume I has:

• Finished a rough draft of the first hour of story for Tale I, focused around a woman who believes that her life is picture-perfect. Not everything is as it seems.
    • Affirmed a major decision: Tales of the Fallen will not feature normal RPG-Maker Combat. All combat will be through interactive, unique, and highly immersive cinematic events. NOTE: This may change in the future with the development of intricate game-play systems.
    • Set internal dead-lines for completion of Tale I.
    • Began development on sketches for initial character designs. These will be posted at a later date, presumably when Tales of the Fallen has hit the point where I feel it is movable from Prototype to Games in Development on the forums.
    • Completed the internal Game Design Document (GDD). A public-facing one will be available upon release of TotF: Volume I to give a backstory of the title's development.
    Thanks!
    ~Zach

Lilly likes this.
  7. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE 06/30
    Tales of the Fallen's Introductory cinematic is making progress in active development. I've decided to attach some early screenshots with the way dialogue will be portrayed and a sneak peek at the two different versions (heavy WiP and missing details at the moment) in development of the Hall of the Fallen. This will be a key area for several in-game cinematic shots, and the contrast between the two is heavily intentional for the purpose of narrative development and moral questioning.

Thanks!
    ~Zach (Screenshots below) (Apologies for the IMG, I messed the upload up. I'll place them on another post!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interesting.
    Y'know I always wanted to make my text like that and I just didn't know how.

10. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually utilize (with credit) a Plugin of Yanfly's for doing so. If you'd like, I could privately DM you it with the link from his site?

11. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure. That'd be very helpful!

12. alice_gristle

alice_gristle Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The visual style reminds me of Chrono Trigger, which I adore! I also like tight storytelling, which is a plus. However, the theme of your game feels like a turn-off for me. Still, I know there's probably an audience for you out there, so go for it. :smile:

13. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you!

I've been reworking small parts of it to make it tie into a larger overall narrative. While the stories themselves to an extent are separate, there will be parts that harken to each-other, and between key moments there will be reflection moments in The Hall of the Fallen. :)

alice_gristle likes this.
  14. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Within the next few hours, Tales of the Fallen will be moving to the Games in Development forum area and I will edit this post with the link for it as it becomes available. Tales of the Fallen has been making spectacular progress and I cannot wait to show more! Video and screenshot updates will be coming over the next few weeks!

Thanks,
    ~Zach

15. Lilly

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interesting!
    I can't wait to see more about this game.

16. zaxwlyde

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  17. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

Then I'm going to go ahead and close this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.