zaxwlyde

Father, Designer, Author, Food-Enthusiast.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tales of the Fallen
Find your story in this unforgiving universe.

Life is a fragile concept. Wrought with despair, abundant in struggle, and rife with conflict. Such is a slog through the sea of darkness in search of a feeble speck of light. We were created long ago, the 'Keepers' of stories forgotten, untold, cast to the wind. We walk a bitter path, filled with the memories of those who have since moved on. As a journey we must walk alone, we find ourselves conditioned to the black and the white, the right and the wrong. A shattered marriage one moment, a revolutionary war the next. Callous to say it's all the same.

Yet, this... this was different. A soul that fell from the trodden path and found its way here. The records foretell of a calamity that follows an event of this magnitude. To find your way into the Hall of the Fallen is to be crowned the head of the pack. For this reason alone, it falls to the Keepers and our solemn oath to guide it. To paint the picture of how existence itself truly is and how it shall remain to be. They must see, hear, touch for themselves. They must witness...

The Tales of the Fallen.

What is Tales of the Fallen?

Tales of the Fallen is an in-development cinematic-adventure experience being developed on RPG Maker MV.

Tales of the Fallen strays from the norm of what 2D titles tend to define themselves as. It is a 'tightly developed' cinematic experience. What can be expected is a focus on immersive environments, an incredibly strong interwoven narrative, dynamic dialogue selections that can impact cinematic outcomes, unique mid-cutscene interactive events, and emergent game-play. You are an observer with an ounce of control.

Normally, we find that 2D titles don't typically follow this style, rather that the 3D end of the spectrum does. Personally, we feel that if done right and with attention to detail, you can witness an experience that makes you feel. This has been echoed throughout some of what can be considered the 'greats' of 2D, even RPG Maker titles.

The goal for Tales of the Fallen is to deliver a series of stories in a pseudo-connected universe that explore a variety of different themes. Each Tale will introduce different, varied gameplay mechanics. Each of these are designed to fit the unique narrative that encompasses that Tale, that way it doesn't feel like an out-of-place addition but moreso individual complete 'packages' with intermittent moments in our connecting location; The Hall of the Fallen. While this is something rather new for us, it is quite an exciting story to journey through.

Core Features
  • Three individual major Tales, each consisting of several hours of tightly packed cinematic content, unique player interactions, and more.
  • Reactive Choices - Each Tale contains unique dialogue options that will be present in key cinematic moments. Choose wisely, it can alter the course of the Tale and how it ends. Can you discover each change?
  • Dynamic Cinematic Events (DCE's) - Many cinematics within each Tale present unique moment-to-moment gameplay interactions. Dialogue choices, plot decisions, and emergent gameplay elements await your use.
  • Grand Moments - Each Tale contains three separate 'Grand Moments'. These are incredibly detailed, immensely dynamic, and quite lengthy cinematic 'set-pieces' for both viewing and interactive pleasure. As the plot progresses within the Tale, you'll find many components come together to build into a satisfying delivery through the climax of a Grand Moment. Trust us, you'll know when you see one.
  • Seamless User-Experience - Tales of the Fallen utilizes what we have dubbed the 'Seamless UX'. We have removed all typical menu interaction, choosing to create a highly dynamic and tailored experience. Rather than relying on traditional 'quest-markers', juggling a cluttered inventory system, or having to sift through a series of menus, you'll find that your valuable time is spent bathed in the immersive elements of each individual Tale. The environment is your UI, best get acquainted.
  • Play by Tale - Each Tale focuses around different gameplay elements. In one tale, you may find highly cinematic interactive combat elements, in another you may find yourself having to solve a 'puzzling' mystery. When developing each individual Tale, we are focusing on creating immersive gameplay elements that draw upon the core strengths of that Tale's narrative.

Meet the Tales
Care to take them to task?

Seemingly a perfect life, albeit one not lived to the fullest. Hitched at the ripe age of eighteen, Joyce found herself to be nothing more than a simple housewife. Her husband ran the local Inn but was always promptly home for the night festivities. There was naught a reason for Joyce to suspect anything other than the best from him. Was there?

A shame how a single discovery can change a person.

Tensions surround the Kingdom of Alum'Guarde. The growing unrest among the populace ever inches closer to the tipping point. A young Harris finds himself caught in a plot of hopeful intentions. The populace has formed a rebellion, and they have a plan for overthrowing the King. Their success rests on his shoulders.

They say it all started with hope. What a pity.

Love burns bright, and it can burn quite fast. Some say there is nothing like the beauty of young love in the ripest of forms. So we find our young darling couple, somewhere they shouldn't to be 'adventurous'. Without a care for the world, how would they have ever known that they were in the wrong place at the right time?

Unfortunately, not all love stories have happy endings.

What's the Game Plan?
We're quite glad that you took the time to ask.
With Tales of the Fallen, we will be taking our time to develop each Tale thoroughly. Our goal long-term is to create three highly polished stories that can strike right at the core of your souls. As Tales of the Fallen is in early development, things may change over time. This is simply how game-development works. What we would like to do is conduct thorough internal testing with focus groups as each Tale is developed, and then release public demos to showcase small bits of each Tale.

Ultimately, we feel that we would rather release Tales of the Fallen as a full package, and so we will not release until all three titles are completely up to quality expectations. We understand that in some cases, this may take longer than expected and be frustrating. Know that we're passionate gamers too, and we want you to play it as much as you want us to make it.

Our initial hopes are that Tales of the Fallen can actively release sometime in either late 2020 or early 2021.

Screenshots!
Last but not least, and with plenty more to come. Thanks!

TOTF_GID_1.png
ABOVE: A shot from mid-cinematic in The Hall of the Fallen (Dark).
TOTF_GID_2.png
ABOVE: Another shot from the Dark variant of the Hall of the Fallen.
TOTF_GID_3.png
ABOVE: A shot from the Light variant of the Hall of the Fallen.

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I might enjoy this game.
It's commercial right?

zaxwlyde

Father, Designer, Author, Food-Enthusiast.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I might enjoy this game.
It's commercial right?
It is indeed! While we have not set a price point at this time, Tales of the Fallen will be released commercially. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hmm... Game has 91 views, 25 downloads, 5 reviews and netted me 7 additional followers. Meanwhile the image I posted just yesterday on Imgur to showcase it has 45,197 views. Interesting, I think I have a new advertising idea. Also Twitter? The post got 16 retweets, 20 likes, and 1,683 views.... And a whole 3 hits to my game, completely valueless. I am glad I did this game jam, this information is quite valuable.
We're playing another Touch the Stars game jam entry, come join us! :D
Ok is telling someone that their drawing isnt good rude
I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E0805