Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've been wrestling with this idea for a while now.

Is it possible to get enough spriter to collaborate in order to creator a generator for MZ (and MV) that allows users to create sprites/facesets/battlers like with the editor's generator, only better?

• In the past, I've worked on the TAB (Tall Adult Body) Project, which does exactly that - but primarily for character sprites, only some facesets, and no sideview battlers. So at least as far as character sprites are concerned, a lot of progress already exists.
  • Schlangan's currently overhauling his extended generator, adding a lot of features & making everything simpler. It's going to allow capabilities far, far exceeding the default generator in every way - and opening up previously impossible things.
So it's entirely doable.

Here's a brief comparison of default RMC generator vs. the TAB character and the slimhead TAB character (head size slightly smaller):

defaultMV.pngdefault.png
____ Default RMV ___________ Dark Fantasy ____________ TAB Slim Head ___

The question is, are there enough people who'd be interested in contributing?
Is there an interest in creating a foundation for tall characters in RMV/RMZ?
Is the Dark Fantasy style even liked enough, or do most people just prefer to do chibi characters?

#########
| Update 2 |
#########
K2loid and I have begun working on the foundation of tall generators in facesets, charsets & battler.

Those interested in helping, suggesting things, or watching, can join the discord:

#######
| Update |
#######
I've added a "Pixel Art Guide" to this post with a lot of links & references to how to learn Pixel Art easily & quickly.
The most important one are the two Essential Playlists right at the top.

Attachments

• The Pixel Art Guide.pdf
    322 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Drokkkon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm creating my game using the TAB character generator and it's just WAY more beautiful than chibi characters. By far more beautiful.

I'm not a good designer, so I don't know if I'm able to help, but you have my support. The only thing I hate at the new MZ Maker is that they keep the chibi characters :l

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm honestly surprised there's not more purchasable content out there for taller sprites and battlers. Lots of people are always looking for them and talking about them, but you don't ever see them in the stores.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally loathe the MV chibi characters. As a user, not a creator, I would welcome any additional sprite resources, Dark Fantasy or TAB.

RainbowGrenade

Paint Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree that the taller characters look nicer. I suck a spriting, but maybe I can try my hand at some point if it's just editing the existing sprites. Maybe I'll sniff around again when I have the free time to contribute.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not a good designer, so I don't know if I'm able to help, but you have my support. The only thing I hate at the new MZ Maker is that they keep the chibi characters :l
I agree that the taller characters look nicer. I suck a spriting, but maybe I can try my hand at some point if it's just editing the existing sprites. Maybe I'll sniff around again when I have the free time to contribute.
I'm not much of a Pixel Artist either, but a lot is mostly editing & redrawing, which is pretty easy to learn, though it initially seems intimidating.
I've added a Pixel Art Guide to the main post, so people who'd be interested in helping but are hesitant about can find some quick & easy advice that helps in all Pixel Art.

I'm honestly surprised there's not more purchasable content out there for taller sprites and battlers. Lots of people are always looking for them and talking about them, but you don't ever see them in the stores.
I've got no reasonable explanation for it either. There's even 2.5d stuff among the DLCs, but for some reason, they don't hire or contract people who'd do tall sprites.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably the one thing that's lacking the most is someone who can help with the SV battler sprites.

The editing of characters is something that can be learnt quickly, the facesets are a bit more complicated (because you need to realize that while character sprites are straight up direct pixel art, facesets use anti-aliasing in order to convey smoother lines & allow easier color transitions when multiple layers of clothing blend over each other)

If I can find someone to get the SV templates done and do a few of the characters, we could have the project start small:

- Defining the template appearance for Male & Female
- Define the Layers (I've pretty much already done that for advanced layering, but I'm open to suggestions)
- Provide Faceset/Character Sprite/Sideview Battler for tall male & female characters nude + 5-10 Clothing Outfits.

That would be enough to start a solid base that can be added to.
e.g. Splitting clothing into top & bottom parts for mixing & merging, added accessories, emotions on character & faceset, possibly laying a foundation of basic poses that can be added via a posing sheet, etc. etc.

But first I'd have to find someone to get the SV template done. If that's done, it'll be a lot easier for individual contributors to do an outfit or an accessory here and there and bit by bit make the generator grow.

K2loid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the Dark Fantasy tallsprites are way more satisfying to look at, and the proportions are the perfect version of XP's wonky-looking sprites, & reduces the nausea of looking at default faces. But man. I pasted the XP faces on Harold once and it was euphoric.

But first I'd have to find someone to get the SV template done. If that's done, it'll be a lot easier for individual contributors to do an outfit or an accessory here and there and bit by bit make the generator grow.
I just finished making my own tallsprite SV battlers adult-to-kid but I'm brain damaged enough to do it all over again with native resolution Big Babies I will be honest

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update of the mainpost:

K2loid and I have begun working on a full foundation of a tall character generator including a battler (even taller than the Dark Fantasy one).

If you're interested in helping, offering suggestions, or just seeing the progress, feel free to come by:

Roach87

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm creating my game using the TAB character generator and it's just WAY more beautiful than chibi characters. By far more beautiful.

Where can one find the TAB generator I was making Tall Sprites and somehow lost all my battlers so now I get to start again :(

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would LOVE more Dark Fantasy-style character sprites! I thought the TAB generator was abandoned? If not, I totally endorse it! Tall is the way to go! ^.^

Let's reserve the stock short sprites for Dwarves lol.

Edit: Btw, what's the current status/progress on the TAB generator when it comes to charsets (the 4-directional sprites)?

Last edited:

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would LOVE more Dark Fantasy-style character sprites! I thought the TAB generator was abandoned? If not, I totally endorse it! Tall is the way to go! ^.^

Let's reserve the stock short sprites for Dwarves lol.

Edit: Btw, what's the current status/progress on the TAB generator when it comes to charsets (the 4-directional sprites)?
The old TAB generator (for schlangan's version 0.10) has working, fully functional charsets. The current generator has those charsets split into individual equipment pieces and is not ready.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The old TAB generator (for schlangan's version 0.10) has working, fully functional charsets.
Strange... I was only able to find v0.91 but couldn't find v0.10. Where can we get the latest version? Thx

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Strange... I was only able to find v0.91 but couldn't find v0.10. Where can we get the latest version? Thx
Schlangan has discontinued it, but there should be a download link somewhere in my discord.

dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Anyone

i made a Helmet for a custom char for my project.. and wanted to contribute it to this TallGenrator_Project:

( i used the Char Imgs from the first Posting as Example to show that the size should fit here aswell, because i had no "naked base" for these tall chars )

Zoomed in Screenshot
Screenshot_2.png

The Terms of my Helmet are:
Free to use in any project ,cant be sold or claimed as own art
Credit "dopan" if you like.
(if needed edits are allowed aswell)

Attachments

• dopans Helmet.png
    dopans Helmet.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Anyone

i made a Helmet for a custom char for my project.. and wanted to contribute it to this TallGenrator_Project:

( i used the Char Imgs from the first Posting as Example to show that the size should fit here aswell, because i had no "naked base" for these tall chars )

Zoomed in Screenshot
View attachment 175729

The Terms of my Helmet are:
Free to use in any project ,cant be sold or claimed as own art
Credit "dopan" if you like.
(if needed edits are allowed aswell)
Nice. I'm currently not actively working on the generator, though, so it may be a while until I get back to the generator and bring it to the point where it can support custom equipment like the helmet.

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Nice. I'm currently not actively working on the generator, though, so it may be a while until I get back to the generator and bring it to the point where it can support custom equipment like the helmet.

The project is very amazing.

It would also be nice to just convert the basic RTPs to the Tall version, including the Sideviews ...

It would also be advisable to organize a general donation to support the project and tempt the artists. If all those interested put in, for example, 10 dollars, it would be a nice nest egg for the artists.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm tempted to leave the Fight/Escape choice in the Boss Battle submission and make Escape pop up Nedry from Jurassic Park: "Uh uh unh!"
Is it weird that i feel overwhelmed from reading codes that i wrote few months ago? Lol.

I dont even know where to continue!:hsad:
Ami
Gosh,I want to Play this Game Again one more again!

Seeing my Own Character & Kannono Once Again!
Tales_of_the_World_Radiant_Mythology_3_JPN_PSP-Coverart.jpg
I've been a bit to depressed to get work done on the game lately. Don't worry, I'll be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abishanth