pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm playing with some tilesets, and I notice a tendency in fancier sets to go for tall doors. That does allow for more proportionate looking and lovely doors. But I think the default characters look weirdly short walking around in this lovely, tall town. Yet I see plenty of demo videos for the tilesets which show exactly that. I'm considering backing out of using a DLC tileset I acquired, mainly because I find the tall doors and the resulting tall buildings a little weird. But maybe i'm overthinking it, or even making a mistake.

Thoughts?

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do what you think pleases you and what you think would please the player. There's a game for all options to strive, and it's all preference at this point.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see a lot of people are picking tall doors, tall sprites. What are you using for your sprites? Custom characters? Hacks of the Dark Fantasy CP?

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I mean, I can't really choose because I like tall doors/tall sprites and short doors/chibi sprites. Whatever is proportional to the sprites. On the other hand, I might not notice if it was tall doors/chibi sprites if I was busy playing the game.

I would notice short doors/tall sprites, though. ;p

( What I personally use is tall doors/tall sprites because I make tall sprites. )

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have custom sprites but they're in the same light of the "short doors, chibi characters" that RPG Maker had defaulted to.

I do not speak for the part of the community that opted "tall doors, tall characters", but if I have to guess: It's likely due to their aversion from chibi characters in general. For some, you make more detailed sprites with tall characters. Some, they just don't like the idea of chibi characters (even though that's usually a result of the top-down perspective, but this is not that discussion).

I'll say it again- it's all personal choice. Do what looks good for you. You shouldn't think about alienating players because of your sprite sets, because there's no 1 answer to that.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tall sprites and tall doors all the way. Even when I use default characters, I do upscale my characters and my doors. It is not perfect, but much better than characters as large as a bucket. ;p

(Example: Rescale of MV RTP sprite)
NPC1.png

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Right now, I'm using FSM tilesets, but part of me wants to scale down the doors, or use the RTP doors. But then again, some of the FSM wall tiles don't look great when they are only 1 high.

The flipside is that switching to large sprites would mean franking and recoloring dozens of characters and sv_actors, and result in a kind of Chrono Trigger remake look I was not looking for. I think I may end up reverting to the RTP tiles.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you considered something akin to the taller Dark Fantasy sprites?

E.g. Harold:
1643067399746.png

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It is a matter of art direction. I am personally fine with both. Although I tend to choose short door chibi sprites because it is easier to map. I'm quite technical, one tile door (or maybe 1.5 tile) is enough to tell it is a door. No need to get fancier than that. But people with a creative mind might think that is quite limiting.

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So long as the doors are proportional to the character sprite size, I'm fine even if they're 4 Tiles tall.
That being said, I prefer 'tall' sprites over the chibi ones.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you considered something akin to the taller Dark Fantasy sprites?

E.g. Harold:
View attachment 214011

Yes. One course of action I was considering was going with the DF sprites, and since they have the same heads as the default RTP, using the generator to frank and recolor my characters. However, that would have entailed a lot of work, and I would then have to deal with other things, like bigger horses, getting weapon animation edits, etc. Keeping in mind that my project uses a lot of SV animated battlers.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What happens with this list, is it currently possible to buy any of these RPGMAKER at least those that are for PC?

Combat skill combination demostration
grief... finding a font that works with the engine has been a bigger process than I thought it'd be. doesn't help MV loves to scrunch letters next to each other like a football huddle.
The new Phoenix plugin. I drew icons and an interface into it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fajar82