Tamer Island

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by TheGamedawg, Oct 30, 2015.

1. TheGamedawg

TheGamedawg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Genre: RPG

Flavor: Fantasy

The game is Tamer Island!  You play as Eugene, a man as kind as he is mysterious and venture to a number of different islands in search of monsters to tame and a man to hunt down.  Eugene is a tamer, which means that along the way, you find a number of monsters you can convince to join you.  There are 17 in all and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

1.PNG

So over the last month or so I've been using VX Ace a lot as a way to play around with features I've never used before as well as scripts.  When I was done experimenting, I noticed that what I had was a bit more complete than I expected it to be.  So I decided to fix up some things and upload it to see what people think.

2.PNG

​Some of the things I wanted to experiment with include a unique system for gaining magic, a mix-and-match style mechanic with your party members, and a new way of handling shops and equipment.  For example, the equipments in this game are all rings, and every character can equip a certain amount.  There is only one of every ring in the game, yet they cannot be sold or dropped.  I wanted to try and give collecting things like that sort of a collect-a-thon feel.

3.PNG

There isn't too much to the story.  You play as an elderly man named Eugene who is traveling with his friend Horace to a tournament.  Afterwards though, he reveals that his real goal is to hunt down a man in control to most of the ocean.

4.PNG

It doesn’t have the fanciest graphics or the most advanced scripts.  In fact, it’s pretty much all default characters and tilesets.  But it’s something I’ve been working on for about a month and I would like to see if people would like to try it!  Also, again, this is my first project ever completed in RPG Maker, so any constructive criticism is more than welcome! I plan to use this software a lot in the future so I would like to know if I'm on the right track when it comes to making a fun, enjoyable game.

Steam Workshop Download:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=529348126

MediaFire Download:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/e94s7jani5uhm8w/Tamer+Island.exe

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
    member334 likes this.
  2. TheGamedawg

TheGamedawg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would like to bump this if possible.  I would love to hear what some people think about this adventure.

3. member334

member334 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Sounds promising, I especially like the premise

There are too many RPGs out there where "Slaying 'monsters' because they give xp" is the default path of action

It would be nice to have more options available to you other than just '1. Xenophobic genocide, 2. Run'

(Undertale was the most recent  well-known game tmk to deviate from that mindset, gameplay aside)

All that depends on what direction you intend to take Tamer Island, of course

Also, I recommend hosting the DL somewhere with no/proper bot detection (such as Dropbox etc.), since it can be buggy on certain devices

Good Luck!