derge12

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
finnish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I been working on a fortuneteller class for my game and I need some help...

The main weapon for this class are cards (namely Tarot cards) but how would they work as a weapon?

Can some give me ideas?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
look at the explanation of a Deck Of Many Things, from D&D.
on top of that, add some card-throwing skill like Gambit from X-Men.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I once had a concept like that (which I am considering revisiting). In my case the character has weapons based on the Major Arcana and Skills Based on the Minor Arcana.

So how it would work is whatever card the character has equipped instead of a regular attack - they would use a skill based on the card's meaning. One concept was that the card had a random chance of "reversing". An example is The High Priestess which could heal the party, but if it reversed (which would be rare) it would instead inflict damage to to the users MP.

But the reverse concept is kinda mean as it creates a perpetual risk of hurting the party in some way.

I had considered having the reverse effect effecting the enemy in some negative way instead, but it still seemed somewhat annoying.

Basically the idea needs a lot of work, but the general idea that they do some kind of skill in place of traditional attacks isn't awful.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If it were me, I'd make the fortuneteller a support class, who equips different tarot cards to provide various boni for the entire party or negatively affects the enemy, depending on which Arcana they have currently equipped.

For example, the Strength Arcana increases the physical attack for all members of the party, the Chariot Arcana makes each party member less likely to flinch, be paralyzed, confused, etc. the Hermit Arcana increases magical defense of the party, and the Wheel of Fortune increases their critical hit chance.
Meanwhile, the Tower Arcana increases the enemy's chances of getting afflicted by status conditions, the Hanged Man causes the enemy to sometimes skip a turn, and the Moon causes the enemy to sometimes choose the wrong target (like heal your party or attack one of its allies).

And the Fool Arcana would apply a random beneficial Arcana to each of your party members (e.g. the Magician Arcana to your mage and the Chariot Arcana to your Warrior), while affecting the enemy with a random negative Arcana (e.g. the Hanged Man Arcana for one of the enemy, and the Tower for another). Since the effect is random, it doesn't always have to make sense (such as granting the Chariot Arcana to the mage instead of the Warrior, or the Tower Arcana to an enemy that's immune against status conditions).

And of course, your fortuneteller would need an entire turn to change their Arcana, at which time no Arcana will be active.

Naturally, which Arcana causes which effect depends on how you choose to interpret them. You could also choose to not split the Arcanas into positive and negative, and instead use the Arcana either in upright position (affecting your party members positively) or in reversed position (affecting the enemy negatively). That way you could use the Chariot upright to increase your party members' physical attack, or reversed to lower the enemy's physical attack instead.

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'd echo the above about making an awesome support class by picking a card, but then on top of that their regular Attack can just pick one at random.

However, if it's just weapons and not skills, then I'd just make each card have a specific skill it does when you attack with it, with far more variance of what that character can pick from than other characters (so you'd really want to hold on to each card you find).

LightBorneX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
You could always make different decks as the different weapon tiers. Basic attacks could be throwing the cards, skills could show a picture of the card on the screen and then the effects of the skills could take place afterward. A sword card could do damage, some cards could do debuff, etc. Would be a good class for novel skills and attacks.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I kinda like the idea of cards being equipment and altering stats. You could always make them wield a Fan or Scepter as melee weapons.

-MIA

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First idea that jumps out to me is to have her (his?) normal "Atttack" both deal damage and draw a random Major Arcana card (via common event) in either the Upright or Reverse position. The card adds a random skill to your repertoire until you use it (but never past the end of the battle) via an Invisible state. (If you want, with a little extra work, you could make it so that it will never draw a card that you already have a skill for.) You could have the attack animation be a razor-sharp card that she "throws" at the enemy and then it boomerangs back to her and you quickly see what card you got and in what position.

For example, the Death card in the upright position gives you a skill which inflicts a Doom state on an enemy (dies after X turns unless cured), whereas in the reverse position it gives you a skill which Revives an ally. The Moon card upright grants a skill which increases an ally's MAT for 3 turns, whereas in the reverse position it Silences an enemy.

Additionally, the character should have a few permanent skills that interact with whatever cards she has in some fashion - for example, a skill that deals damage based on how many card skills she currently has, but then she forgets all her card skills... as well as a skill which replaces all Upright skills in hand with the corresponding Reverse skill for that Arcana and vice-versa.

You could have certain Major Arcana only be available after certain points in the game, in order to open this character's complex mechanic up to the player in a more controlled, gentler way.

Last edited:

User636

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe the card the fortuneteller has equipped could determine what kind of damage their normal attacks do as well as what kind of skills they use based around the themes and symbolism of the card in question. For example, if the fortuneteller has the Strength card equipped, it could let them deal physical damage types with their normal attack and give them access to various buff skills. Another would be the Devil card making the normal attack deal psychic damage and allowing the fortuneteller to implement debuff skills themed around using the target's failings and vices against them.

You don't have to just stick to the Major Arcana either. There is an insane amount of material and inspiration you can draw from the Minor Arcana.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?
My friend just gave me chocolate milk at lunch today! My day is now 1000x better. Yay, choco milky!! :kaojoy:
RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeuslord11