Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Taylor's Simple Message System 2000
Version 1.0

Introduction
When I first switched back to RPG Maker XP after becoming fed up with RMVXAce, I ran into a problem with message scripts. Specifically I felt they were all overly-complicated when I wanted to be able to make edits to them myself.

The purpose of this script is to restore the functions of the original RPG Maker 2000 for the sake of simplicity, and give room for more advanced scripters to add their own syntax.

Download and Credits
Download Page (includes feature list, also in case I forget about updating this thread)
Download Demo (v1.0)
Credits should go to myself, Taylor.
Also would like to thank, ah, RMVX and VXAce's default script code which I referenced in this script's creation.

Addendum
I'm not sure if I'll be adding new features to this, except anything to improve the base functionality. The way I made this I wanted to keep core/classic features separate from optional ones, to reduce script size and clutter.

goldenhawk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like what I need for mugshots and message boxes but how much does it cost? Also can it do mouth movements and blinking eyes after all the text is finished typing out?

Hyperly

i like rocks
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Back then I couldn't find any scripts as good as this for letter to letter text. Most of them were either overly complex, broken, or buggy. This is amazing since it includes multiple customizable sounds, customizable speed, pauses, easier face display, and text colors. Thankyou for making this masterpiece.

EDIT:
YOU ADDED A TEXT SKIP OPTION, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY.

goldenhawk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can it do mouth movements and blinking eyes after all the text is finished typing out? is it compatible with rpg maker xp?

DerVVulfman

Resident Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Well, this is the RGSS / RPGMaker XP board for scripts. And if you read the page she has linked, it reads "Changing graphic mid-message!" Now I cannot say that means it is animated (prolly not). But one could do facial expression changes to match dialog as it prints.

Tayruu

・ ゚*。・゚(幸)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
A minor note from something I randomly noticed: by default, RMXP updates @status_window constantly during event processing. What this does, is it causes massive lag when dialogue is printing out.

There isn't really a clean way to add this to the script or demo, instead you'll have to find the relevant code in your own battle system, if you're finding dialogue lags in battle.
In the default scripts, it's in Scene_Battle 1 at line 235: if @phase != 5, add && !$game_temp.message_window_showing to it. In custom scripts, look for the phase conditions that @status_window.refresh is run.

This might mean you'll need to add @status_window.refresh as a script event command during battle events if you want to show status changes, however.

----
Can it do mouth movements and blinking eyes after all the text is finished typing out? is it compatible with rpg maker xp?
Unfortunately not. The script only does static face imagery ala RM2k - no blinking and mouth animation. There is a number of scripts that provide such functionality though.
As DerVV says, the most you can do is mid-text expression changes, but they'll otherwise be static.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Managed to find a way to hang a bed cover over my window. So no more being toasted alive in the afternoon!:kaoswt2:
So, uh, has anyone tried buying any resources from KokoroReflections? Because I've been looking for a 'buy' button on the site for like 10 minutes now and can't find one.
Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelevra069