Taylor's Simple Message System 2000

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by Tayruu, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Tayruu

Tayruu slate furry thing Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Taylor's Simple Message System 2000
    Version 1.0

Introduction
    When I first switched back to RPG Maker XP after becoming fed up with RMVXAce, I ran into a problem with message scripts. Specifically I felt they were all overly-complicated when I wanted to be able to make edits to them myself.

The purpose of this script is to restore the functions of the original RPG Maker 2000 for the sake of simplicity, and give room for more advanced scripters to add their own syntax.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download and Credits
    Download Page (includes feature list, also in case I forget about updating this thread)
    Download Demo (v1.0)
    Credits should go to myself, Taylor.
    Also would like to thank, ah, RMVX and VXAce's default script code which I referenced in this script's creation.

Addendum
    I'm not sure if I'll be adding new features to this, except anything to improve the base functionality. The way I made this I wanted to keep core/classic features separate from optional ones, to reduce script size and clutter.

XPKobold, LilyFrog and Kwerty like this.
  2. goldenhawk

goldenhawk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like what I need for mugshots and message boxes but how much does it cost? Also can it do mouth movements and blinking eyes after all the text is finished typing out?

3. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
  4. Hyperly

Hyperly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Back then I couldn't find any scripts as good as this for letter to letter text. Most of them were either overly complex, broken, or buggy. This is amazing since it includes multiple customizable sounds, customizable speed, pauses, easier face display, and text colors. Thankyou for making this masterpiece.

EDIT:
    YOU ADDED A TEXT SKIP OPTION, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY.

5. goldenhawk

goldenhawk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can it do mouth movements and blinking eyes after all the text is finished typing out? is it compatible with rpg maker xp?

6. DerVVulfman

DerVVulfman Resident Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Well, this is the RGSS / RPGMaker XP board for scripts. And if you read the page she has linked, it reads "Changing graphic mid-message!" Now I cannot say that means it is animated (prolly not). But one could do facial expression changes to match dialog as it prints.

7. Tayruu

Tayruu slate furry thing Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    A minor note from something I randomly noticed: by default, RMXP updates @status_window constantly during event processing. What this does, is it causes massive lag when dialogue is printing out.

There isn't really a clean way to add this to the script or demo, instead you'll have to find the relevant code in your own battle system, if you're finding dialogue lags in battle.
    In the default scripts, it's in Scene_Battle 1 at line 235: if @phase != 5, add && !$game_temp.message_window_showing to it. In custom scripts, look for the phase conditions that @status_window.refresh is run.

This might mean you'll need to add @status_window.refresh as a script event command during battle events if you want to show status changes, however.

----
    Unfortunately not. The script only does static face imagery ala RM2k - no blinking and mouth animation. There is a number of scripts that provide such functionality though.
    As DerVV says, the most you can do is mid-text expression changes, but they'll otherwise be static.