TCG Elements

Discussion in 'Editor Suggestions and Improvement' started by BubbleMatrix82, Apr 12, 2017.

?

Does this feature seem interesting to you?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes but I hate Gachas

4. Yes but not important

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BubbleMatrix82

BubbleMatrix82 Norm Rejecting Black Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Description of the Feature:
    • TCG elements like randomization of getting heroes (Gacha style) and increasing odds of getting rarer ones through conditional branches.

Code for Implementation:
    I have nothing to contribute.

Mockups:
    Randomization tick box in join party and have character number range. Randomization tick box in starting stats. Randomization in weapon slots with range. Percentage of pull in character slot. Could even create a store with randomly selected players after they pay a fee in game.

Why is this feature good?
    This feature is great because of the following:
    • Competes with Gachas online but would not cost real money
    • Adds to fun level of the game if they get one of the best set ups.

Possible issues with this feature?
    Issues that might arise from this feature:
    • User friendliness to set up
    • Poor user interface implementation could make feature too confusing

andry5ury4 likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    There is a Gacha script in the Kadokawa Plugins. Just in case :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    BubbleMatrix82 likes this.
  3. Piyan Glupak

Piyan Glupak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Archeia - I spotted that. I must remember to find out what "Gacha" means, and what it does, sometime.

4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Please explain what Gatcha is in more detail or explain things a bit more. I am unsure what youre asking for?

5. BubbleMatrix82

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As I understand it, Gacha is basically the equivalence of a gum ball machine. You know you are going to get a gum ball but what flavor? What color? How new is it? How big is it? What's on the inside?

What I am after is a built in feature that will allow us to have more RNG to the game. Let's say the character in slot 10 is a random mercenary who's stats range from meh to awesome and starting equipment ranges from lame to epic. You have no clue what you start with but you know you want the gamble of drawing something good so you try to hire the merc. That's what I am after.

Another implementation could be RNG starting player stats. Each play through would be easy or hard based on the roll. Sure RNG makes people mad, but it makes the prize of winning the system totally worth it.

Basically, I want less absolutes in the game engine and more ability for randomization. And I would like the ability to improve the odds by conditional branches. Get the orb of light and it improves mercenaries chance of having light spells, or get the master sword and increase the odds of having high attack.

The idea is to implement an element to the engine that takes the concrete values and turns it on its head.

6. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I get you now. I gatcha. :p

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Seriously though, I agree. RNG really adds a lot of fun to the game. I currently have a guy (actually I think he is finished) building me a random magical item generator I wrote up. Its pretty exciting. I also want to give random factors to enemies (and give enemies random equipment) so those will probably have to be plugins too.

So the ability to do all of that standard would be a respite for my wallet.

7. BubbleMatrix82

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think there's too many people making games that fit the FF or DW or some other mainstream JRPG trope. Randomization built into the engine could help game designers (what we really are, we design fun games) have enough surprise and struggle to keep players engaged. Especially those masochistic players who like when a system is challenging to exploit or beat (hence the love for games that have permadeath).

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think there's a place for this, done via an option to enter a minimum and maximum starting stat. Or maybe even a curve for each (as in, use one curve for the minimum, one for the maximum).

My only concern is too many games that would turn into pray to the RNGoddess (see tvtropes if you don't know what that is), but that is up to the developer to handle, and not the engine.

9. BubbleMatrix82

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This isn't politics we are doing here, this is improvement suggesting. People should care less about controlling meta or competition and more about helping this company make a product that fits all end users needs. What if I felt the current meta is too cookie cutter and it lacks any original thought? Shouldn't I have the ability, without any coding knowledge, to have a randomization feature to implement to my choosing without nostalgia minded game designers telling me it's a waste of time/effort? I'm all for not wasting money, but I think players would like TCG elements given that most mobile games have Gacha mechanics these F2P days. Sure, steam players might dislike this model, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist (because it does in other engines).

10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Right, agreed. What I meant was prepare for that to be an issue still. But, that is not something the engine should gimp just for that reason. After all, variance (which is already in the engine) can turn into Pray to the RNGoddess too. Or to hit. Or EVA. But we have those.

RetroBoy and BubbleMatrix82 like this.
  11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a different (and much easier) suggestion I made a long time ago, that would solve half of the suggestions here: To add a variable ID option to all party-type change event commands.
    If that were possible (in an identical way to the actor-type change event commands), you could simply use the control variable commands to get a random number and then use that as the ID for what the player gains.

It won't allow for random parameters, but it would be much easier to implement than a full gacha system:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/party-change-commands-id-by-variable.55753/

12. BubbleMatrix82

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Andar, can you rebuild that in the current template so it can get voted on? I'd vote yes on that if you can word it in a way that people on a 5th grade reading level can understand it and vote on it.

One of the reasons this idea is failing is because many people prefer absolutes in their games. But randomization is one of the fun parts of a game!!!!! If not for critical hits, how do you get excited for beating a hard boss? If not for RNG, how do you get excited when you FINALLY steal that Rainbow Sword from that Rainbow Snail? RNG makes the game fun! Especially if you can cheat the RNG with items that improves your Lottery odds!!!

So yeah, my improvement thing is dead in the water, but Andar if you can put one up in the accepted format and hype it up I'll vote yes so hard on it :)