Teach Me About Tileset

Kevinpratama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Sorry if i post this in wrong forum... :(

Could sombody teach me how to make to my own tileset..?, i have read celianna post about how to make tileset but i cant understand it, i need sombody teach me from the basic, how to make a sketch and how to paint it with colour..please help me and sorry for my bad english ;_;

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Firstly, I'm moving this to resource support.

I think what you're asking is way too broad. Creating tilesets is not an easy task, because you would first have to know some basics about drawing in general. We don't know how good you are with drawing, and what programs you use, or if you have a scanner etc.

Can you tell us a little bit about your skill level?

Kevinpratama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Firstly, I'm moving this to resource support.

I think what you're asking is way too broad. Creating tilesets is not an easy task, because you would first have to know some basics about drawing in general. We don't know how good you are with drawing, and what programs you use, or if you have a scanner etc.

Can you tell us a little bit about your skill level?
I cant make a tileset by my own, i usually get the tileset from the rpgmv or ace deveploper and make a new tileset with the texture and colour i can just change it shape and colour,oh i dont have scanner my scanner has broken ,but i will buy the new one as soon as possible,so can you teach me?  :)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha sorry, but I'm not going to teach you, and no one is going to. That would be asking for free labour. We just want to be able to point you in the right direction on where to get started so you can teach yourself.

As far as I understand, you don't have any drawing skills, and you can only change the colour of existing tiles. Is this correct?

Kevinpratama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Haha sorry, but I'm not going to teach you, and no one is going to. That would be asking for free labour. We just want to be able to point you in the right direction on where to get started so you can teach yourself.

As far as I understand, you don't have any drawing skills, and you can only change the colour of existing tiles. Is this correct?
Yes it is  ;_; So what can i do now..?

Could you let me know just a bit about the basic..please.please.please..

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
practice

If you're at that level, no one can give you a magic trick to get perfect - because that does not exist. It takes an artist months or years to learn their trade to any resemblance of professional quality, and a big part of that is simply practice.

I suggest that you start working by manipulating existing sheets - that means you load one of the default tilesheets into the image program of your choice, and replace only tiles with other tiles of the same type you loaded from somewhere else (for example from our resource sections).

Be carefull, there are six different formats for tilesheets (each of the A#-slots requires a different format, the sixth one is for B-E slots). The difference between those formats is how they position the five different tiletypes on them (animated autotiles, animated regular tiles, regular autotiles, wall-autotiles and regular tiles)

Kevinpratama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Yes it is  ;_;

practice

If you're at that level, no one can give you a magic trick to get perfect - because that does not exist. It takes an artist months or years to learn their trade to any resemblance of professional quality, and a big part of that is simply practice.

I suggest that you start working by manipulating existing sheets - that means you load one of the default tilesheets into the image program of your choice, and replace only tiles with other tiles of the same type you loaded from somewhere else (for example from our resource sections).

Be carefull, there are six different formats for tilesheets (each of the A#-slots requires a different format, the sixth one is for B-E slots). The difference between those formats is how they position the five different tiletypes on them (animated autotiles, animated regular tiles, regular autotiles, wall-autotiles and regular tiles)
I dont need to be perfect i just need the basic how to make it..i looking for many articles about tileset till now..i hope someone could help me..just for the basic , oh yes i know about editing tiles shapes or colour and the tiles type like what did you said..(i pratice almost every day.)and yes could you tell me what a good software to make tileset for beginner? I mean to edit existing sheet..•_•

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We're trying to tell you that the tutorials you want (at least from our reading of your wishes) simply don't exist - and will never exist, because they're impossible to write.

The nearest might be the following:

https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/products/tutorials (near the bottom, under extra tutorials)

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/easy-tile-making-3-autotiles/

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

But all those tutorials assume that you know how to use an image program of your choice, and know how to draw.

A lot people use either GIMP or Photoshop for tileset making, but you can use any image program you're familiar with - because there is no program that can make art for you, that part is for you to do. Do you really think artists were in such high demand if there were programs that could do their work automatically?

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
William TheUnproPro also has two videos where he makes tilesets for RPGMaker MV in GIMP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyGdWqDLv6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACOXgff-D5s

They're pretty basic, but might help you starting out.

and yes could you tell me what a good software to make tileset for beginner?
As Andar said, you can basically use any image editing program you want - just make sure it supports layers, they will make your life 100x easier. I believe the most popular programs are GIMP, Paint.net (both free) and Photoshop (not free). If you already have a program you're familiar with, it's probably best to continue using that for now.

Also, don't overwhelm yourself. Making a complete tileset is a huge amount of work, and it's very easy to unterestimate how much time goes into making a tileset (that coming from someone who has abandoned several attempts at making her own art assets because of all the work and time it takes ;) ). Start small, maybe make a game that takes place in a single location and create a tileset for that. Don't aim to replace all of the default graphics on your first go - if, for example, your game takes place in a haunted house of some sort, draw around 3 different walls, 4 different floors, some decorative tiles like bookshelves - you get the idea - and leave the rest blank.

If you have any questions about certain parts of the creation process, I can try to help you as good as I can - either on the forum or via PM, if that's more convenient for you. I'm not sure how much I can help with the actual drawing of the tiles, though, since I'm not really a great artist myself >_>

Kevinpratama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
Thanks For all of you that help me about this topic,i starting make tileset little by little and step by step,and i am starting understand hiw to make it i verry happy right now,THANKS  :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

mlogan wrote on alltheyuriz's profile.
Please be aware that our Status rules ask members not to make more than 2 status updates in 24 hours.
rux
Just 80% of my motivation on game making lmao, anyone got tips on how to not be unmotivated?
I've signed up for a job training program for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I went to a "test run" today so they could see how well I did with simple jobs, and I amazed them. Most new people do it in 30+ minutes, while I finished in a mere 15 minutes. Gives me time to work on a screenplay for Studio MDHR...
People,I have seen that Someone from China/Chile and London is doing a Vaccine Against COVID-19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmach