Team ⑨ Mystical Quest - (Touhou RPG)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Evil_Nazgul0616, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Evil_Nazgul0616

Evil_Nazgul0616 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Shrinemaiden.org Thread: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,16953.0.html

Due to the 72 hour double-posting restrictions, the Shrinemaiden.org thread will always be more up to date than this one. Occasionally, the Shrinemaiden thread will have a more up-to-date version, so if you find something wrong with the game, please refer to that thread to see if I already fixed it first.

What is this? It's a Touhou RPG with an FBS (Frontal-view Battle System). The FBS reminds me of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest so that's what the game's name is derived from. Sadly, the only FBS for RPGmaker that is an exact emulation of Mystic Quest's BS is not available to the public, so I'm using a battle system called Lune FBS instead (If I find a better FBS, I will replace Lune.).

Synopsis:

In the mystical land of Gensokyo, there lives an ice fairy by the name of Cirno. One day, Cirno decided to play a game of hide and seek with her best friend Daiyousei. During this game, Daiyousei is kidnapped by a trio of fairies known as The Three Mischievous Fairies. Cirno then assembles her three other friends, Rumia, Mystia, and Wriggle, (Collectively, the four are known as Team ⑨) to get her back. After confronting the trio in the Forbidden Section of the Library of a structure known as the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Sunny Milk, the leader of the three, accidentally unleashes a powerful youkai by the name of Ōgonsekai no Daisanji (If google is correct, this translates roughly to "catastrophe from Utopia" though I wouldn't trust google 100%), who kidnaps Daiyousei and enslaves the Three Fairies. Somehow it all comes down to Team ⑨ to save Gensokyo from Daisanji's evil plan.

The storyline will be broken up into six chapters.

Major Characters:

Cirno - An ice fairy who lives in a Misty Lake, she is known to be one of the biggest idiots in all of Gensokyo.

Rumia - A youkai that can manipulate darkness, she is one of the few youkai who still eat human flesh.

Wriggle Nightbug - A youkai firefly. She can control swarms of insects. She frequents a certain flower garden, much to the dismay of its owner.

Mystia Lorelei - A night sparrow youkai who's songs can inflict a condition called Night Blindness. She is constantly the target of a gluttonous phantom known as Yuyuko Saigyouji.

Sunny Milk, Luna Child, and Star Sapphire - The Three Mischievous Fairies, a group of pranksters that end up enslaved to Daisanji.

Ōgonsekai no Daisanji - The harbinger of catastrophe. Daisanji is the antagonist of this story and is currently the only OC in the entire game. Daisanji was imprisoned within a magical book millennia ago for trying to bring about the end of a world. Now that he has been unleashed, he now attempts to destroy Gensokyo by collapsing the great barrier that protects it.

Screenshots:

Desktop 6-4-2014 6-05-14 PM-721.png

Desktop 6-4-2014 6-05-56 PM-34.png

Desktop 6-4-2014 6-09-40 PM-373.png

Download Links:

The first chapter of the game is complete and fully playable.

Alpha v.1 - Chapter 0.5 - Length: Roughly 1.5 hours.

Alpha v.2 - Chapter 1 - Length: Roughly 2.5 hours. Incompatible with files from Alpha v.1.

Alpha v.2.1 Chapter 1 - length: Same as above, save files appear to be compatible with those from the previous version. Incompatible with files from Alpha v.1.

Alpha v.3 Chapter 1.5 - Length: approx 3-3.5 hours. Compatible with save files from Alpha 2.1 to a point. (see known bugs below.)

Notes:

-The dialogue may sound weird or out of character in certain areas. Sorry.

-Some areas, such as the Garden of the Sun and the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, are currently using placeholder tilesets due to me being unable to find any suitable tilesets for them on the internet.
    -There are two type of encounter systems, contact with overworld enemies and random encounters in specified areas. The general rule of thumb is that if there's denser vegetation, there will be random encounters.
    -You can annoy Rinnosuke (The main shopkeeper) by repeatedly selecting "leave" when speaking to him.
    -Some face graphics, such as Rumia, Wriggle, and Mystia's are currently placeholders and will be replaced when I can find better ones.

-Some locations on the map are there, but inaccessible due to those locations not yet being needed in this version.

-The northern half of the map is incomplete. So don't go there...

Known Bugs or Glitches With The Current Version:

-Minor graphical glitches occur with K.O'ed party members. They do not affect gameplay and will be worked out in a later version.
    -Goliath Doll 2.0's Bestiary entry states that you killed 0. (According to the game, this is technically true, since Raging Goliath is a separate entity.)
    -The "Insect Lullaby" combo only shows half of its cost (it costs 30 MP and TP, not just 30 TP)
    -When fighting YuugenMagan, if you defeat one of the eyes before every party member has taken their turn, and you have more than one party member targeting the eye, then the rest of the party members will attack the dead eye and do no damage. 
    -When Star Sapphire is under the effects of "Anticipate", Magic will not work on her.
    -If you leave the SDM basement, the ambient noises from the basement will continue to play.
    -If you imported an old save file, if your characters are already over level ten then they may not learn all their spells.
    -If you imported an old save file, then certain monsters will show up in the bestiary which aren't supposed to be in there. (For example, YuugenMagan's eyes.)
    -You can (quite hilariously) kill Yuugenmagan's body with Blind.

-If you interact with the chest in the SDM basement from the front, and choose not to open it, the game will freeze. This does not occur when interacting with the sides.

-In Makai, if players are afflicted with miasma, die during a battle and are revived, the miasma effect doesn't return until after the fight.

Please let me know if you encounter any of the following: (If you do, please check with the shrinemaiden thread before reporting it, as it may have already been addressed)

-An undiscovered bug or glitch.

-spelling/grammar errors. (Tell me which cutscene/NPC and what line.)

-cutscene flaws. (There's a couple in this version I already found and are going to be fixed in the next)

-Out of character dialogue. (Tell me which cutscene/NPC and what line. If you can suggest an improvement that would be helpful and I will credit you if I use it.)

-Dialogue that does not flow well. (See above)

-Redundant dialogue (See above)

-Exploits.

-Game breakers.

Videos (Spoilers Ahoy!):

Final boss of Alpha 1

A major boss in Chapter 1

An optional boss in Chapter 1

The playlist dedicated to this project.

Script Credits:

Raizen844 - Lune FBS
    Hime - Permanent States
    Hime - Untargetable States
    DoubleX - RMVXA Unison Skills/Items
    Shadowmaster - Fantasy Bestiary
    bgillisp - Slip Damage Change Script
    Yanfly - Weapon Attack Replace

Other Credits:

ZUN/Team Shanghai Alice, Nintendo, Square, danmaq, PIXEL - Music

(I honestly don't know who made them, someone please tell me if you know) - All Non-Placeholder Overworld Sprites

LION HEART, ZUN/Team Shanghai Alice, Nintendo, Konami, (Whoever made the Touhoumon sprites, again, please let me know...) - Enemy battler sprites.

*Disclaimer: I do not own any of the graphics or music nor do I claim ownership of them, all credit should go to their respective owners, including those I neglected/forgot to mention above. This game is created solely for non-profit purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Strict_Gryphon90

Strict_Gryphon90 Break Dancing Ninja Member

First Language:
    English
    Aha. This looks awesome. I'm a fan of some Touhou music so this should be good. It will give me a chance to learn more about the universe.

3. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    Chapter 1 is complete!!

Download: Alpha v.2 - Chapter 1

Changes:
    -Chapter one of the storyline is finished (Duh!)
    -First Meiling cutscene was tweaked.
    -The frequency of randomly encountering the formation of 2 Petit Kedamas with a Flower Fairy was decreased in Youkai Forest.
    -Rinnosuke (the shopkeeper) bug fixed.
    -Fadeout transitions were added for when Rumia and Wriggle join the party, in the previous version there was an abrupt jumping of the character's sprite to a new location.
    -Two optional bosses have been added. You get nice stuff if you beat them! Try to find them!
    -Most of southern Gensokyo is now accessible.

-The game has a bestiary now!
       -Lets you look at stats, weaknesses, and possible drops of enemies and bosses.
       -Entries 35 - 148 are unused and are only there to prevent crashes for when I add new enemies and bosses in later versions.
       -fill entries 1 - 34 to complete chapter 1's bestiary!

-The "Formation" option in the menu has been disabled. It is now impossible to have anyone but Cirno be the party leader.
    -Star Sapphire was made harder (higher chance of casting both "heal" and "anticipate".), as a consequence,the battle against the 3 fairies has also increased in difficulty.
    -Four combination attacks were added! The combos are learned when the component skills of the combo are learned by the participants
    -two optional spells were added, taught by the same NPC.

Notes:

-All human NPC's that aren't named Touhou characters use stock RPG Maker characters as placeholders. Thus, they look quite weird compared to the Touhou characters. The same is true of Daisanji, the antagonist.
    -The inn in Mayohiga is a parody of the traditional inns in RPG games. The only real purpose of the structure is to house a save point and recovery spring.
    Tips/Secrets (Read at own risk):
    -Upon returning to the SDM after Mayohiga, if you learned heal from Koakuma, you can talk to her again to learn Fire. This is your only opportunity to learn it.
    -Relating to the above, you can one-hit Raging Goliath with Fire. Be aware that this will still set off the Kaizo Trap, so make sure you have lots of hp left.
    Known Bugs:
    -Goliath Doll 2.0's Bestiary entry states that you killed 0. (According to the game, this is technically true, since Raging Goliath is a separate entity.)-Combo attacks only show one character performing the casting animation. (Will be fixed as soon as I figure out how to combine the combo attack script with the segment of Lune that governs casting animations without screwing both of them up.)
    -The "Insect Lullaby" combo only shows half of its cost (it costs 30 MP and TP, not just 30 TP)

-If you somehow manage to defeat Meiling at the first encounter (or defeat the second encounter with an incomplete party), the game proceeds as if you have all four party members, despite missing members being absent.

-returning to the SDM after the Yukari battle makes it so that you can no longer access the Road of Liminality and Mayohiga.
    Please let me know if you encounter any of the following:
    -cutscene flaws. (There's a couple in this version I already found and are going to be fixed in the next)
    -Out of character dialogue. (Tell me which cutscene/NPC and what line. If you can suggest an improvement that would be helpful and I will credit you if I use it.)
    -Redundant Dialogue. (See above)
    -Exploits.
    -Game breakers.
    EDIT: Due to the 72 hour double-posting restrictions, the Shrinemaiden.org thread will always be more up to date than this one. Occasionally, the Shrinemaiden thread will have a more up-to-date version, so if you find something wrong with the game, please refer to that thread to see if I already fixed it first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    Bugfix update:

Alpha v.2.1 Chapter 1

Changes:
    -Removed Meiling sequence-break. It's now impossible to defeat Meiling unless you have a full party. (Do not attempt to defeat Meiling by level grinding Cirno and Rumia, as this will just lead to a waste of potions... It won't work anyways.)
    -Fixed Road of Liminality bug.
    -corrected a small punctuation error

Save files from Alpha v.2 appear to be compatible with the new version. (Not 100% confirmed.)
    Just copy your save files from the old version and paste them into the new folder and you're good to go!

5. DoubleX

DoubleX Just a nameless weakling Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    About the compatibility issue between my unison script and Lune FBS:

You can try to use the below snippet by putting it below Lune FBS(Just don't credit me for this snippet or I might violate Lune FBS's terms of use):

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base #----------------------------------------------------------------------------| # Rewrite method: show_normal_animation | #----------------------------------------------------------------------------| def show_normal_animation(targets, animation_id, mirror = false) animation = $data_animations[animation_id] if animation onecast = true targets.each do |target| @target = target unless from_distance? if !Lune_Frontal_Battle::Nocast.include?(@subject.current_action.item.id) and onecast abs_wait(Lune_Frontal_Battle::Casttime) @subject.animation_id = Lune_Frontal_Battle::Castid # This part is added by this snippet to make all unison actors have cast animations if $imported["DoubleX RMVXA Unison Item"] && @subject.current_action.item.unison_item @subject.current_action.item.unison_actor_id.each { |actor_id| next if $game_actors[actor_id] == @subject $game_actors[actor_id].animation_id = Lune_Frontal_Battle::Castid } # onecast = false abs_wait(30) end @bitmap[target.index].opacity = 0 if target.actor? target.animation_id = animation_id target.animation_mirror = mirror abs_wait_short unless animation.to_screen? end abs_wait_short if animation.to_screen? end @target = nil endend # Scene_Battle
    It should solve the cast animation issue :)

6. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Beware, Touhou community tends to frown upon using ripped Touhou graphics and fan-made stuff without asking permission. If you don't want them to blast your project out, you'd better adress those issues, there are many dedicated artists in this community who would totally agree to help you if you propose a solid project. In fact it's probably one of the communities where this is actually rather easy to get custom graphics for free you should give it a try. 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  7. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    It should solve the cast animation issue :)
    I finally got around to trying this code snippet.

It doesn't work. It plays the spell casting animation, but it causes other animations (such as rushing towards an enemy to do a physical attack or, at a minimum, the physical attack animation itself) to stop playing altogether. Also, one of the casters of the combo attack doesn't step forward with the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  8. DoubleX

DoubleX Just a nameless weakling Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The 1st of your issues(stop playing other animations) is strange for me as in my case all these things works. I downloaded Lune's FBS here(at 12-8-2014):

http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/6567-lune-frontal-battle-system/

And I used the newest version of my unison item, v1.01c(GMT 0900 1-6-2014), to test with the former. I didn't use any other custom script to test.

Both rushing towards an enemy and playing the physical animation itself work as intended in my tests.

Edit: I finally know what's wrong. I made s serious mistake while doing copy and paste of the snippet from my project to my earlier reply. The below one fixed that error:

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base #----------------------------------------------------------------------------| # Rewrite method: show_normal_animation | #----------------------------------------------------------------------------| def show_normal_animation(targets, animation_id, mirror = false) animation = $data_animations[animation_id] if animation onecast = true targets.each do |target| @target = target unless from_distance? if !Lune_Frontal_Battle::Nocast.include?(@subject.current_action.item.id) and onecast abs_wait(Lune_Frontal_Battle::Casttime) @subject.animation_id = Lune_Frontal_Battle::Castid # This part is added by this snippet to make all unison actors have cast animations if $imported["DoubleX RMVXA Unison Item"] && @subject.current_action.item.unison_item @subject.current_action.item.unison_actor_id.each { |actor_id| next if $game_actors[actor_id] == @subject $game_actors[actor_id].animation_id = Lune_Frontal_Battle::Castid } end # onecast = false abs_wait(30) end @bitmap[target.index].opacity = 0 if target.actor? target.animation_id = animation_id target.animation_mirror = mirror abs_wait_short unless animation.to_screen? end abs_wait_short if animation.to_screen? end @target = nil endend # Scene_Battle
    The 2nd of your issues(only the skill invoking actor but not all unison actors steps forward) is indeed not fixed by my snippet. Any attempt to fix this issue needs changing really lots of stuffs in Lune FBS as the fundamental mechanics denies making multiple actors step forward together. But I'll try anyway if you really want that to be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  9. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    The 2nd of your issues(only the skill invoking actor but not all unison actors steps forward) is indeed not fixed by my snippet. Any attempt to fix this issue needs changing really lots of stuffs in Lune FBS as the fundamental mechanics denies making multiple actors step forward together. But I'll try anyway if you really want that to be fixed.
    The first issue is resolved, it appears to work perfectly now! Thank you! :)

10. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    Phew, it's been a long time since the last post on this thread.

There's a new version of the demo out now, it is compatible with saves from Alpha v.2.1, but only if the party is at a level less than 10.

Download Link: Alpha v.3 Chapter 1.5

Changes:
    -Added Makai, the setting of the second chapter.
    -Updated the bestiary script to a newer version. (The bestiary now contains a description page for each enemy/boss.)
    -Triple techs now added, these are powerful combo attacks that have a high MP cost and involve 3 party members.
    -Wriggle actually gains a practical offensive spell now.
    -The optional weapon, Reaver, has new behavior. Instead of giving a massive attack boost while cutting the maximum hp of the wielder by 75%, it now deals one damage for every hit that isn't a critical hit and deals ludicrous damage when it does crit. It also only cuts the wielder's max HP by 50% now.
    -Added a new area to the SDM. Don't go there unless you have a death wish!
    -Should you somehow beat a certain superboss, Remilia, Sakuya, Meiling, and Patchouli will have unique dialogue.
    -Koakuma now teaches the party a total of 3 optional spells over the course of the game.
    -Silence now affects combo spells.
    -The two chests right before the first fight with Sunny Milk are now replaced with a single chest that gives 3 potions.
    -After entering Makai, if you return to the Kourindou, Rinnosuke will sell you new items.

Known Bugs:
    -Minor graphical glitches occur with K.O'ed party members. They do not affect gameplay and will be worked out in a later version.
    -Goliath Doll 2.0's Bestiary entry states that you killed 0. (According to the game, this is technically true, since Raging Goliath is a separate entity.)
    -When fighting YuugenMagan, if you defeat one of the eyes before every party member has taken their turn, and you have more than one party member targeting the eye, then the rest of the party members will attack the dead eye and do no damage. 
    -When Star Sapphire is under the effects of "Anticipate", Magic will not work on her.
    -If you leave the SDM basement, the ambient noises from the basement will continue to play.
    -If you imported an old save file, if your characters are already over level ten then they may not learn all their spells.
    -If you imported an old save file, then certain monsters will show up in the bestiary which aren't supposed to be in there. (For example, YuugenMagan's eyes.)
    -You can (quite hilariously) damage, and even kill Yuugenmagan's body (which is supposed to be invincible) with blind.

-If you interact with the chest in the SDM basement from the front, and choose not to open it, the game will freeze. This does not occur when interacting with the sides.

-In Makai, if players are afflicted with miasma, die during a battle and are revived, the miasma effect doesn't return until after the fight.

Once again, please let me know if you encounter any of the following: (if you come across an issue, please check the shrinemaiden.org thread here before reporting it, as it may have already been addressed. The shrinemaiden thread will always be up to date.)

-Redundant Dialogue. (See above)
    -Exploits.
    -Game breakers.

Script Credits:

Raizen844 - Lune FBS
    Hime - Permanent States

Hime - Untargetable States
    DoubleX - RMVXA Unison Skills/Items
    Shadowmaster - Fantasy Bestiary
    bgillisp - Slip Damage Change Script
    Yanfly - Weapon Attack Replace

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I went to download this and saw that it was 437Mb - and this is only up to chapter 1.5.  This sort of file size will be off putting for a lot of people.  Not everyone has high speed optic fiber connections, and many people have limits on how much they can download.  As it is, I think you will get fewer takers for your demo than you otherwise would

I'm wondering about your music files, as these are the usual culprits.  A lot of them are mp3 format and you should convert them using Audacity (it's free, if you haven't come across it) and make them ogg vorbis files (not just ogg).  This will typically make them 70% smaller.  However, as far as I can see a number of them are rips from commercial games and this is simply a bad idea.  This game will be taken down as soon as the companies realise you're using their stuff.  There is a lot of legit, free music in the General Resources thread.  I suggest you head over there and find substitutes.

12. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    How much sound quality would be lost if I did this?

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    None.  I've released 2 commercial games with all audio files in ogg vorbis and the music has received a lot of praise in both cases.  Also, mp3 files don't loop properly in Ace, so you get a sort of hiccup with them.

14. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English
    Also, if I were to convert all my mp3 files to ogg vorbis and then import them into RPG Maker, would the file extension difference be an issue?

What I mean is would both copies exist at the same time in the music folder after import due to the different file extensions, meaning I would have to go through the painful process of finding every instance of the mp3s being used in the game for battles, events, maps, etc and swapping them with their ogg vorbis counterparts, and then deleting the mp3 files, or will RPGmaker simply ignore the extension types and replace the mp3s with the ogg vorbis files as long the file name remains the same?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  15. Yangfly Master

Yangfly Master RM Majin Nice at everything but not the best at an Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah thats it.

16. Evil_Nazgul0616

First Language:
    English