Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've currently been thinking about different battle mechanics I can add to my game to make things more unique, and I did come up with an idea thanks to my friends, but am unsure how to implement it.

Basically, in the game, there would be something called "Teamwork Skills". These skills are performed by 2 or 3 party members, and take up both or all of their turns. These skills would be much more powerful than normal skills, either attacking the enemy or buffing the party. They wouldn't use MP, TP, or HP, though. Instead there would be a bar above the characters that slowly increases as you attack enemies. It would have 3 levels, and each Teamwork Skill would require 1, 2, or 3 levels to execute. Would it be possible to integrate something like this using scripts?

By the way, I should mention this is specifically for RPG Maker VX Ace

EDIT: At this point, I've configured most of this idea. I'm using DoubleX's Unison script and a small script I found on the forums to have all party members share TP. The only thing that I've left to do is making a UI for a new bar above the party to show the accumulated TP. If anyone could help me out with this, or if you can help me integrate a bar that doesn't use TP instead, I'd love the help!

(Also, if I need to ask this in a different place or if I need to add more onto this, please let me know. Still new to these forums so yeah.)

Last edited:

Stapleton

Underground
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gaeilge
Primarily Uses
N/A
Anything would be possible to integrate using scripts.
I know there are some scripts or plugins that already have teamwork skills built into them for VX ACE and MV.
I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head though.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dunkle_G The correct board to post on depends on exactly what kind of response you are looking for.
  1. If you're looking for advice on how to make a Teamwork/Combo System fun and balanced in RPGs or games in general, you've posted in the right place (Game Mechanics Design).
  2. If you're looking for a script that will let you easily implement this kind of behavior into your RPG Maker Ace game, you should post on the RGSS3 Script Requests board (it's in the Ruby/RGSS area).
  3. If you're looking for ways to implement this into your game without using scripts, but rather using Event Commands alone, you should post on the RPG Maker Ace support board.
It sounds like you're probably asking about #2, so I've moved this topic to the RGSS3 Script Requests board. If you were actually looking for #1 or #3, just Report this post and let us know which one you want us to move it to.

P.S. - If you go to the RGSS3 Script Requests board, go to the Search function in the top-right corner, choose "This Forum" (NOT "Everywhere") as the area to search, and write "Combo" as your search term, you will get some useful results. Here's what I got.

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dunkle_G The correct board to post on depends on exactly what kind of response you are looking for.
  1. If you're looking for advice on how to make a Teamwork/Combo System fun and balanced in RPGs or games in general, you've posted in the right place (Game Mechanics Design).
  2. If you're looking for a script that will let you easily implement this kind of behavior into your RPG Maker Ace game, you should post on the RGSS3 Script Requests board (it's in the Ruby/RGSS area).
  3. If you're looking for ways to implement this into your game without using scripts, but rather using Event Commands alone, you should post on the RPG Maker Ace support board.
It sounds like you're probably asking about #2, so I've moved this topic to the RGSS3 Script Requests board. If you were actually looking for #1 or #3, just Report this post and let us know which one you want us to move it to.

P.S. - If you go to the RGSS3 Script Requests board, go to the Search function in the top-right corner, choose "This Forum" (NOT "Everywhere") as the area to search, and write "Combo" as your search term, you will get some useful results. Here's what I got.
Yeah this is geared towards number 2. Looks like it was moved here before I even saw this post lol so yay.
Also thanks for the advice. I'm not the best with RPG Maker and have been using scripts from online in order to make up for my lack of skills. Plus they help to polish the game in certain areas. I'll be sure to take a look at that, but if anyone has any more advice they'd like to give, please let me know!

UPDATE: So I looked around and found 3 forums that peaked my interest. Found a few ideas in each. First was looking through something called a Master Script for Combo scripts, but I've no idea where that is. Next was a combo script made by DoubleX that works with something called Symphony, but again I don't know where to find either of those. Lastly was this combo script made by someone called Victor. They even had a link to said script, but the page doesn't exist anymore so idk where to find that either. If anyone could help, that'd be great!

Last edited:

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah this is geared towards number 2. Looks like it was moved here before I even saw this post lol so yay.
Also thanks for the advice. I'm not the best with RPG Maker and have been using scripts from online in order to make up for my lack of skills. Plus they help to polish the game in certain areas. I'll be sure to take a look at that, but if anyone has any more advice they'd like to give, please let me know!

UPDATE: So I looked around and found 3 forums that peaked my interest. Found a few ideas in each. First was looking through something called a Master Script for Combo scripts, but I've no idea where that is. Next was a combo script made by DoubleX that works with something called Symphony, but again I don't know where to find either of those. Lastly was this combo script made by someone called Victor. They even had a link to said script, but the page doesn't exist anymore so idk where to find that either. If anyone could help, that'd be great!
For my scripts:
Vanilla Version
Version Working With Yami's CATB
Enhanced CATB(Modified from Yami's CATB ) With Unison Included
Version Working With Yanfly's Ace Engine

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yo thanks. I was able to hook it up with the Yanfly Ace Battle System after working with it a bit, and it works really well!
The only thing I'm missing now is the bar. I tried to find one online but the best I got was a new bar for each character. What I'm trying to make if I had to give an example of, is like the bar from OMORI or the Navigator Skill Bar from the Persona Q Series, which would fill up as you attack enemies and allowed you to use special skills that were preformed by your navigator of choice, I.E. Futaba, Rise, and Fuuka. The only difference here would be that the bar would be kind of a replacement for the TP Bar, so instead of everyone having one, they would all share a single bar, and they would all have access to their own skills.

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I was able to find a script for a shared TP Meter on this forum, the only things missing are the UI for a single TP meter above the party and a way to keep the TP in between battles. I've tried the preserve TP special flag on actors and classes but it hasn't worked at all.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I was able to find a script for a shared TP Meter on this forum, the only things missing are the UI for a single TP meter above the party and a way to keep the TP in between battles. I've tried the preserve TP special flag on actors and classes but it hasn't worked at all.
Preserve TP has nothing to do with that, and you'll have to have a script for the single TP meter :)

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Preserve TP has nothing to do with that, and you'll have to have a script for the single TP meter :)
Just did a little editing and found the line of code in the script that was preventing me from keeping my TP, so I took care of that. As for the script for the single TP Meter, the closest I've found was this script for something called Battle Favours, which adds these 2 bars that are separate from HP, MP, and TP. https://galvs-scripts.com/2012/11/11/battle-favour/

Dunkle_G

The Meming Trash Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
bump
Still looking for a script that adds a single TP Bar above the party

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol
currently working on some template sprites and tweaking the walk cycle :)
Lunee.jpg
Early try to draw our Demon Countess, who destroyed her own soul leaving just an empty shell of a body - until our heroine unwillingly takes possession of it, every time she falls asleep.
(I know it’s a premade face from the Dark Fantasy Set, but I spent so much time with her, that I can’t bring myself to change the sprite anymore xD)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaskJack