Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TOM.png

Tears of Morganna is a Active Time Progress style RPG focusing on elemental magic and strategy in fights. In the full version, the game will have nine playable characters, each with their own skillsets and powers they bring to the table. The Demo is currently 1-2 hours long depending on how thorough you want to experience everything and skill.

ToM3.png

Story
The world of Morganna is a world of dystopia and ironclad dictatorships, science is used only to advance the titanic grip of cruel governments, and not for improving the lives of the people. Resistance is meaningless, and the common folk have little choice but to be complicit in their wicked world's system to survive. In the country of Banvera, eight young adults try to make a living in their harsh reality, unaware of the looming change that will upend the corrupt system of Man.

These eight individuals will be thrust into the midst of conspiracies, and made the pawns of the old forgotten powers that conspire to return the world to a time of the illogical, the unexplained, and fantastical, to an age of Magic. Can the world of man survive the rebirth of magic, and can the eight chosen overcome the fate thrust upon them? Or will the world end in fire?
ToM1.png

Mechanics
There are nine base classes, 8 intermediate classes, and 8 final tier classes. Eight of these are elemental classes, each with their own pros and cons, combined with the personal attributes of the individual possessing the class. Only two will be accessible in the demo. The other is a supportive melee class that forms the early backbone of party formations, but as the game progresses, the Player will discover ways of becoming independent from this class as their strategies are developed.

The game is semi linear, with a set storyline with some amount of flex. Particular regions open and close as the story progresses, and exploring the human world of Morganna and the elemental plane, the Primal Realm, will happen at key points in the story.

Rationing resources will be important as you will only get so many items from chests and monsters. Utilizing your party's skills will minimalize your losses and make it easier to survive on less. Guarding is an important part of combat flow as it allows the Player to regather some of their vitality and keep in the fight even without items. Several endings will be possible.
ToM2.png

Gameplay Sample

Download Demo

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi!

I like what I played, it was fun. I guess the best place to start is the ending. I don't think it's the real ending, but it is where my game ended.

Trapped.png

So I was at this screen, and the cutscene activated, the guard did his thing, and Wina was like "I gotta get outta here!!" so she took 1 step to the left, and the game just halted. Music was still going, but nothing else was moving. I had no control, just stuck. No idea what happened. I tried it multiple times in different tiles, and it happened each time.

One thing I learned while playtesting my own game many times was to play differently. Play in ways you, the developer, wouldn't play. In my first real battle with Wina and Morgan, Wina died. (For what it's worth, she got killed because I was trying to see if there was a button to skip between characters turns when they had a full meter) I didn't have any troubles afterwards (well, I could have but I'll get to that). Morgan was strong enough to take out anything I came across until a couple screens later I found a revival item and Wina was back in action! While I get playing remotely well will negate this, this is the very first dungeon in a demo, I think the player should get some support. Believe me, I got similar feedback on my game about a severe lack of items and they almost quit because it just wasn't fun to deal with that.

The main thing here is that when Wina died in the first battle, I had a single potion. That was it. No way to revive her with several fights ahead. Is it my fault she died? Yes. Should I have to deal with her being dead for two screens when I've had no chance to get revival items? No. There was a shop and a heal spot w/ Morgan at the first screen though...except when I tried to take the crystal back there, the juice was out and I was stuck. (Speaking of that shop, if I can't get back there and I have no money, why is it there? Maybe we come back later I'm not sure.)

As I said, it's not really hard when Wina died as Morgan can take the monsters on, but then I got far enough and Morgan decided to leave the party. So, me being me, I had to reload my save and try something. I went back in time to when Wina was dead, walked all the way back to when Morgan left, and sure enough, Game Over. (I've done this several times, it's kind of funny to be honest since, at least for me, I don't really think about that kind of thing.) So yeah, if Wina is dead when Morgan leaves the party, the player just loses. And with only 1 stimulant (that I could find) its not far fetched to say that could happen to a player.

And that was my very long waffling of events that transpired simply because Wina died in my first real battle.

I wrote some other notes down, I'll just jot those down really quickly:
  • That crystal you came from after the tutorial that you can't return from: it needs Direction Fix on it. Checking it from different angles changes the sprite.
  • You can use Morgan's "You'll Scare the Kids!" and "Distraction" skills outside of battle but I don't think they do anything outside of battle.
  • Whenever those wolf enemies dig underground, we get a text box and Morgan auto attacks and misses every single time. The first was fine, but it gets repetitive very quickly.
  • On the last map with the red pillar puzzle, if you activate the red pillar BEFORE going to the bridge, Morgan still says you should look around some despite already solving the puzzle.
  • This is minor and hardly important, but when you go to the map where Morgan leaves the party, he stops following you, and if you return back to the red pillar room he still isn't following you despite being in the party. Minor, but just putting it out there.
  • Also this:
    Under.png
I hope you don't think I'm being too hard on this, I genuinely liked what I played and I only post this much about something I care about.
  • While I am invested in the story and where it's going, the two pieces seem kind of separate. This isn't a bad thing entirely (plus there may have been more I didn't get to play) but it's a bit weird to go from "I am a low class, should I give up my life to become a brain in a jar/elite" into -> "You're a fire elemental who is being used by a higher entity to destroy the world" (and yet the two stories are almost exactly the same if you think about it, about being used, so like I said, we'll see as the story goes on, I'll trust your writing).
  • The writing is fine. It's not bad, which I think is a better compliment than it sounds. It does what it sets out to do and that is all you can ask for with writing. There were many instances where there were extra spaces between words but that's minor and easily fixed when revising so whatever.

Overall (aka tl;dr): It was enjoyable. The combat was basic, but I don't expect the very beginning to be all out intense battles so based on potential I think it has a lot. I am interested in seeing more of the character and their abilities and how that effects battles. It's been a long while since I've played a pure ATB game like this so it was kind of interesting and I had to get used to it for a second. The story has me intrigued and I really really want to know more about this Morganna and how other party members will get involved. Good work with the demo and I hope to see more! :)

AoDLegacy

Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I like what I played, it was fun. I guess the best place to start is the ending. I don't think it's the real ending, but it is where my game ended.

So I was at this screen, and the cutscene activated, the guard did his thing, and Wina was like "I gotta get outta here!!" so she took 1 step to the left, and the game just halted. Music was still going, but nothing else was moving. I had no control, just stuck. No idea what happened. I tried it multiple times in different tiles, and it happened each time.

One thing I learned while playtesting my own game many times was to play differently. Play in ways you, the developer, wouldn't play. In my first real battle with Wina and Morgan, Wina died. (For what it's worth, she got killed because I was trying to see if there was a button to skip between characters turns when they had a full meter) I didn't have any troubles afterwards (well, I could have but I'll get to that). Morgan was strong enough to take out anything I came across until a couple screens later I found a revival item and Wina was back in action! While I get playing remotely well will negate this, this is the very first dungeon in a demo, I think the player should get some support. Believe me, I got similar feedback on my game about a severe lack of items and they almost quit because it just wasn't fun to deal with that.

The main thing here is that when Wina died in the first battle, I had a single potion. That was it. No way to revive her with several fights ahead. Is it my fault she died? Yes. Should I have to deal with her being dead for two screens when I've had no chance to get revival items? No. There was a shop and a heal spot w/ Morgan at the first screen though...except when I tried to take the crystal back there, the juice was out and I was stuck. (Speaking of that shop, if I can't get back there and I have no money, why is it there? Maybe we come back later I'm not sure.)

As I said, it's not really hard when Wina died as Morgan can take the monsters on, but then I got far enough and Morgan decided to leave the party. So, me being me, I had to reload my save and try something. I went back in time to when Wina was dead, walked all the way back to when Morgan left, and sure enough, Game Over. (I've done this several times, it's kind of funny to be honest since, at least for me, I don't really think about that kind of thing.) So yeah, if Wina is dead when Morgan leaves the party, the player just loses. And with only 1 stimulant (that I could find) its not far fetched to say that could happen to a player.

And that was my very long waffling of events that transpired simply because Wina died in my first real battle.

I wrote some other notes down, I'll just jot those down really quickly:
  • That crystal you came from after the tutorial that you can't return from: it needs Direction Fix on it. Checking it from different angles changes the sprite.
  • You can use Morgan's "You'll Scare the Kids!" and "Distraction" skills outside of battle but I don't think they do anything outside of battle.
  • Whenever those wolf enemies dig underground, we get a text box and Morgan auto attacks and misses every single time. The first was fine, but it gets repetitive very quickly.
  • On the last map with the red pillar puzzle, if you activate the red pillar BEFORE going to the bridge, Morgan still says you should look around some despite already solving the puzzle.
  • This is minor and hardly important, but when you go to the map where Morgan leaves the party, he stops following you, and if you return back to the red pillar room he still isn't following you despite being in the party. Minor, but just putting it out there.
  • Also this:
I hope you don't think I'm being too hard on this, I genuinely liked what I played and I only post this much about something I care about.
  • While I am invested in the story and where it's going, the two pieces seem kind of separate. This isn't a bad thing entirely (plus there may have been more I didn't get to play) but it's a bit weird to go from "I am a low class, should I give up my life to become a brain in a jar/elite" into -> "You're a fire elemental who is being used by a higher entity to destroy the world" (and yet the two stories are almost exactly the same if you think about it, about being used, so like I said, we'll see as the story goes on, I'll trust your writing).
  • The writing is fine. It's not bad, which I think is a better compliment than it sounds. It does what it sets out to do and that is all you can ask for with writing. There were many instances where there were extra spaces between words but that's minor and easily fixed when revising so whatever.

Overall (aka tl;dr): It was enjoyable. The combat was basic, but I don't expect the very beginning to be all out intense battles so based on potential I think it has a lot. I am interested in seeing more of the character and their abilities and how that effects battles. It's been a long while since I've played a pure ATB game like this so it was kind of interesting and I had to get used to it for a second. The story has me intrigued and I really really want to know more about this Morganna and how other party members will get involved. Good work with the demo and I hope to see more! :)
Thank you for the feedback, I don't usually get a lot so anything helps me a lot. Just me luck for something game breaking to get missed. I swear this whole thing worked just fine when I tested it. I guess you know the saying, test, test, test, and test.

There's an absolute ton to mentally sort through here and I'll definitely be addressing these. I don't know how exactly this broke but considering the more flashy Guardian of the Land intro was introduced very recently I should not have been surprised. The lack of support is definitely my bad and I'll need to account for that in the future. It wouldn't have been a problem had I not done the powered out crystal dialogue.

And you're right, the two parts are a lot less united than I would like. It's something I fussed over in my head but have acknowledged it will probably stay that way at least for short term. Though the full game, which does not follow Wina's perspective (after the inciting incident in which she disappears), has a much gradual introduction to both the Realm, Morgan, and the whole elemental business. It spends more time in Human perspective, and then transitions to the Realm once some pretext pops in.

I'm going to get to work on this as soon as I can, it bums me out really hard that I spent this much time trying to polish this and something that bad still got through. I'm really happy you overall like what you had seen, even if you had only gotten to the mid point boss. I'll have an update on this soon!

(Update x2, I did a major stupid in that map, now I know why it bust.) Embarrassing. Fix will be out soon once I get some reworking on item and shop balance done.

Last edited:

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Though the full game, which does not follow Wina's perspective (after the inciting incident in which she disappears), has a much gradual introduction to both the Realm, Morgan, and the whole elemental business. It spends more time in Human perspective, and then transitions to the Realm once some pretext pops in.
When I saw the download file as 'Wina's Story' I had a feeling something like that may be the case of her not being the perspective character. From what I played/saw there's a very appealing dynamic between the human world and the primal realm and as the story progresses there's a ton of lore and worldbuilding that I an interested in seeing. Even at a base you've done well at setting it up!

At least you've figured out what the issue was! :) That means you can fix it rather than scrambling trying to figure it out which is always a nightmare. I will agree that it sucks when something messes up despite how the effort put into it, but that's the good thing about putting it out there and getting feedback. I realized I could playtest my game 1000 times but there would be things I would miss because it's impossible to catch everything yourself. It's nerve wracking, but overall it's just better and more helpful.

AoDLegacy

Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I saw the download file as 'Wina's Story' I had a feeling something like that may be the case of her not being the perspective character. From what I played/saw there's a very appealing dynamic between the human world and the primal realm and as the story progresses there's a ton of lore and worldbuilding that I an interested in seeing. Even at a base you've done well at setting it up!

At least you've figured out what the issue was! :) That means you can fix it rather than scrambling trying to figure it out which is always a nightmare. I will agree that it sucks when something messes up despite how the effort put into it, but that's the good thing about putting it out there and getting feedback. I realized I could playtest my game 1000 times but there would be things I would miss because it's impossible to catch everything yourself. It's nerve wracking, but overall it's just better and more helpful.
I've gotten the game updated, and posted a changelog on the project page ( https://aodlegacy.itch.io/tears-of-morganna/devlog/244938/tears-of-morganna-update-log-bug-fix-1 ), and gave you a shout out for the feedback.

I'll be playing the game myself again and give it another combing through at some point soon now that I've been sufficiently rattled by the softlock that ran under my radar.

Thanks again for your feedback, it means a lot :D

AoDLegacy

Fantasy Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So there’s been some fun developments lately. First, halfway through implementing a custom sideview battler for the first time, and even making some potential custom battlebacks. Here’s the devlog that covers that!

Someone also streamed the game unprompted and they had a lot to say about it, so spotlighting them for doing that here as well, he deserves it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Alisa: Prophecy of the Falling Stars. Join Alisa, a quiet girl with a heart filled with love and hope, on her journey to prevent a calamity. My next RPG Maker music pack is my largest and most focused pack yet. It's a musical story that focuses on a young heroine named Alisa who has been assigned the ultimate task to prevent a calamity.

My winter Asset Pack is now -40%! Only 0.75$
SnJj_O.png
Alien Worlds, Minecraft Blocks, Extend Options, Fine Speed Control, Art by Muggu | RPG Maker News #33

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png
Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Capitunist