Bleed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Got a question for you guys, a bit technical in nature, and it's regarding RPG Maker MV.
I'm an artist by trade, Shop Link Here. I've done several jobs for clients on this forum, mostly low-profile, but gathering experience regarding the game engines you guys use, and all that.

Anyway, I've hit a bit of an obstacle with a recent client and looking to understand what MV sprites are and how are they defined:

- Is there a specific pixel size requirement, and can I go over/under said size?
- How many animations MV has and what kind. eg. Attack, Death, Jump, etc.
- Do they have a specific number of frames, and if so, how many?
- Is there only one direction for them, or do they have multiple?
- Mostly talking about battlers -- I think they're called.

Thank you in advance.

Yougotsomechocolate

Random Chest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An non plugin battler usually have 3 frames per attack, and each battler have around 12 different animations. There was a picture showing you what they were (Don't have it)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If your client is only using the default SV system, check out one of the default SV battler files of the engine as that will show you exactly what animations are there, how many frames per animation, etc.

Bleed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Bleed Here's a side view battler template with specs:
Thank you, that pretty much answers most of my questions. I'm guessing there's one direction only and it can be mirrored, if needed.
Now I just have to figure out if there's a specific size the sprites have.

Thanks guys.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
specific size the sprites have
no - in all RM's the sprites are about structure, not size.

the engine accepts any size for any sprite as long as the structure of the picture is correct - that is all cells in the picture need to have the same size and the number and order of the cells needs to fit exactly. SV-Battler for example always require 9x6 cells (with the 9 horizontal consisting of 3 frames each for 3 different animations)

You can download the demo and check its help file for more detailed specifications (the demo will work for 20 days from first launch)

Bleed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
no - in all RM's the sprites are about structure, not size.

the engine accepts any size for any sprite as long as the structure of the picture is correct - that is all cells in the picture need to have the same size and the number and order of the cells needs to fit exactly. SV-Battler for example always require 9x6 cells (with the 9 horizontal consisting of 3 frames each for 3 different animations)

You can download the demo and check its help file for more detailed specifications (the demo will work for 20 days from first launch)
I'm a bit lost. Are you talking about sprite-sheets? -- multiple sprites packed together.

But then again, if the engine accepts any sprite-sheet size, how come the cells need to be a fixed size --which in turn makes the sprite-sheet a fixed size (a multiple of cell-size)? That means it can't be any size.

In any case, I got the gist of it. As long as the cells are in order and a fixed size, everything should work.

Thank you again.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you talking about sprite-sheets? -- multiple sprites packed together.
a sprite as defined in the RM community is a set of 3x4 cells that show the four directions in three frame animations each of a person.
a spritesheet as defined in the RM community is a sheet of 4x2 sprites, each consisting of 3x4 cells.
Single sprite pictures need a $ at their filename to tell that to the engine, spritesheets have no such indicator.

For your sprites you need to decide which cell size to use. default cell size is 48x48 pixels, and that is for most of the sprites supplied with the RM.
But that does not mean that a sprite has to use 48x48 as its cell size. If you decide to use tall characters, that is usually a cell size of 48x72 or 48x96 pixels. In such cases the spritesize would be either 144x288 pixels or 144x384 pixels. The engine itself is capable of handling any cell size as long as the number of cells in a picture is correct.

So no, the spritesheets can't be any size - but the cell can be of any size (as long as it fits the screen, you'll get problems if you create sprites that have a cell size in hundreds of pixels).

Bleed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
a sprite as defined in the RM community is a set of 3x4 cells that show the four directions in three frame animations each of a person.
a spritesheet as defined in the RM community is a sheet of 4x2 sprites, each consisting of 3x4 cells.
Single sprite pictures need a $ at their filename to tell that to the engine, spritesheets have no such indicator.

For your sprites you need to decide which cell size to use. default cell size is 48x48 pixels, and that is for most of the sprites supplied with the RM.
But that does not mean that a sprite has to use 48x48 as its cell size. If you decide to use tall characters, that is usually a cell size of 48x72 or 48x96 pixels. In such cases the spritesize would be either 144x288 pixels or 144x384 pixels. The engine itself is capable of handling any cell size as long as the number of cells in a picture is correct.

So no, the spritesheets can't be any size - but the cell can be of any size (as long as it fits the screen, you'll get problems if you create sprites that have a cell size in hundreds of pixels).
Awesome, more great info. That answered all my questions then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Monster3,4 added!

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_L7