Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My apologies if this is the wrong subforum. I'm a noob when it comes to art/photoshop and wanted to know/learn what techniques I could employ to change the skin color of this macho dude to that of this Orc (which is an edit I made from a much greener Orc lol), thx.
1594182810985.png1594182826321.png

Edit: Basically I want him to look like this but with the proper skin color.
1594183282785.png
No amount of hue shifting or anything like that was able to get me to the Orc's skin color...

Last edited:

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do this with the pipette tool, it let's you pick up colours images. You pick (click) the lightest colour from the orc. Now it depends on your art program. If the bucket tool gives you an option of continuous filling/not continuous filling, you use the non continuous one which recolours all the instances of the colour in the picture. OR you look for "replace colour" button in the menu which lets you replace one colour with another.
This way you go from the lightest to the darkest colour until every colour is changed (which should be pretty quick since it's pixel art).

Devildimos

I ruin memes for a living
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I use GIMP for all my editing.
If you are interested I could give you a quick walkthrough how I use it

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm currently using Asesprite and I guess my question should be: Is there a way to do this without going over it manually pixel by pixel?:kaosigh:

Hmm, I hadn't thought of using a replace color feature. I'll see if Asesprite supports this. If not, does GIMP support that feature?

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah. You just need to do it kind of manually.
1594182810985.png
This is a Hue change. So it might not be perfect. But he look different right? :p

No amount of hue shifting or anything like that was able to get me to the Orc's skin color...
There is a trick to this.
You select the darkest hue first. than change the hue again. Which allows you to go darker. In gimp atleast.

Last edited:

mishakoc

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I'm using Aseprite as well, this makes it easier. The pipette there is called eyedropper. First select the paint bucket (looks like a droplet). You can use the alt key to bring up the eyedropper, click on the colour you want to pick up.
Above the picture there should be a box called "continuous", you want to leave that unchecked so if changes all the instances of the colour in the picture. Tolerance should be set to 0.
Using what I said before, you change every shade like this. Should be only 4-6 different ones, the fact you unchecked continuous filling makes sure you don't need to change every single pixel.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. You just need to do it kind of manually.
View attachment 150531
This is a Hue change. So it might not be perfect. But he look different right? :p
What values did you use to get this result?

Edit: Success! Look at this sexy Orc lol.
1594185623368.png
Now I just gotta rinse repeat for all his animation files...:kaoswt:

Last edited:

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hue -100 than -45 I think it was.
Lightning I - as well but don't remember the value.
The saturation was 0 I think.

mishakoc

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1594183282785.png 1594182810985 (1).png
It only takes five clicks to change the colours for them to be right. :p It's also a process you can use when you have a similar kind of problem in the future. Added the picture @Devildimos edited for comparison.

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
View attachment 150537 View attachment 150538
It only takes five clicks to change the colours for them to be right. :p It's also a process you can use when you have a similar kind of problem in the future. Added the picture @Devildimos made for comparison.
Ooh I definitely like your version more than mine, it's got more contrast. Comparison:
1594186402141.png1594186418420.png

Edit: I revised my edit to make it somewhere in between our 2 versions:
1594186988680.png

Last edited:

mishakoc

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's because the orc sprite has the right colour palette already figured out. If you only use hue shifts and such, you won't get that kind of result. It doesn't look as bad on its own but in comparison it looks bland, right? And the only thing I did was just replace 5 shades, that's all.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted to show a side by side comparison of him before and after:
1594188746461.png1594188756131.png
He went from couch potato to hella fit! lol
Btw, what eye color should I give him? I don't think there's enough contrast with the eye color he has atm.

Devildimos

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eglish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I guess some chubby guys wish to be put into this forums to be edit like that!

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would go for a yellow/orange eyecolor.

@Devildimos I am quite content with my chubbyness thank you very much... So you try and change me and we'll see what happens :p
Lol

mishakoc

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, now you really need to add an orc gym in your game! This guy has to be on their billboard. :p

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, now you really need to add an orc gym in your game! This guy has to be on their billboard. :p
Do the Orc ladies ignore you? Laugh at how small your axe is? Well ZugZug Fitness has your back! Join now to get your 1st month's membership absolutely FREE!

1594192786391.png
*No refunds accepted. ZugZug Fitness is not responsible for the size of your axehead.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I just spent the weekend...playing my own game. The one I released last year. Yep you heard that right.
Goal for MZ? None... I'm still curious how to finish my VXA project and how it looks like when it actually finished. Which will take at least another two years. Coming late again to the party.
Finding it amusing that people are posting support questions in new threads for an engine that isn't even released yet. Touch and Archeia are the only ones authorised to say anything, and there's only one active thread where they'll be answering questions.
I think my goal for MZ ... is to actually release a game and not have twenty technical demos and debugging projects. Let's see if I can manage that. ;o
I am starting to enjoy writing. I never thought I would enjoy it since my dyslexia was holding me back so much.
Thanks to the community here :)
For those interested chapter 2 and 3 are available to read here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthNinjus