RMMV Telum Fatalem: Protostory

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Catog, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Catog

Catog Professional Internal Screamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Telum Fatalem
    takes the time-honoured story of a young man discovering responsibility at the hands of a great evil with the help of an ancient sword, and delves deeper.​

"What world would define itself through bloodshed?"
    "What does that world mean for the people growing up in it?"
    "What are the consequences of thinking you're special?
    "
    https://catog.itch.io/telum-fatalem
    SYNOPSIS
    Inspired by the RPGs and anime I watched growing up, Telum Fatalem tells the story of Lancon Darmen, a young man estranged from his family and making his way through tavern brawls and treasure hunting. Gifted a map by a mysterious stranger, Lancon finds the sword Tirfling, and is thrust into being the Wielder.

This proves to be the least of his problems, as he will be joined by an ex-servant of an eldritchian evil, who still has the past chasing after him, and a Guardian hell-bent on taking on the mantle of Wielder in Lancon's place. As his adventures continue, Lancon will be joined by a whole host of characters, each with their own motivations and arcs to complete before confronting the big bad - Uzael.

This story, however, is not the one you will find in Protostory.

PROTOSTORY
    Protostory is a side story able to be undertaken by the player during the game's first act, and one I started making for IGMC2018. Due to a connection failure, however, I missed the deadline, and was unable to post it. So here it is, free of competition, just a proof to show to potential team members, as I hope to turn this into a commercial product. More information on that in a later section.

But Protostory tells the story of three of the early-game antagonists: the actor-inventor Magiel, his enigmatic elven(?) partner Drakul, and Kazz, a deathzerker hell-bent on revenge. All are licking their wounds after trying and failing to kill the dragon that slaughtered their friends and families eight years prior, as the dragon has now found an ally in the new Wielder. Magiel and Drakul look to go home, whereas Kazz hopes to continue to Beldaun, where the dragon is now headed in the company of the Wielder.

Before any of them can complete their goals, however, they need to earn the favour of the seaside town of Villeport: a town beset by a bandit leader known only as "The Pig..."

FEATURES

• Play as three characters - Magiel, Drakul, and Kazz - as they are pulled into overthrowing a local gang and freeing the inhabitants and their captured children.
    • Customise your characters with different abilities and weapon runes.
    • Utilise character-based abilities to reach secrets and explore the world.
    • Master the button-dependent battle system, as you time your attacks for maximum effect.
    • Original Soundtrack by Caleb Whittaker, featuring tracks by Dr Disastro and Cloud_525

SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JOBS

I am looking to fill a few positions. I will post below with job descriptions, and if you feel like you can fill any of these roles, let me know via a DM, along with your commission rate (if any). Roles will be added as they are required.

Spriter - Looking for someone who can do overworld sprites, similar in size to the Mack-esque sprites above (which have been slightly upscaled). Preferably someone who can also do 8-dir, idle, and running for the main 8 cast.
    UI Programmer - Looking for someone that can work with the system in place to make a more streamlined four-button system for battles.
    Battler Designer - Looking for someone that can make animated side-view battlers. Don't necessarily need to be the Lib style presented.
    Monster Designer - Looking for someone that can create monsters to replace the Aekashics monsters. Animated monsters would be ideal, but not necessary.

And of course, to anyone that tries out this game, please feel free to give critique! This is the first game I've posted in all my time lurking in the RPG Maker community, so I'm totally looking to improve, find out what works and what doesn't.

For now, this is Catog signing off!

PS: Big thanks to @Nivlacart for his art for the first three characters (of which, unfortunately, only one appears in this demo...)

2. Catog

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, just giving this project a little boost - I'd really like to hear people's thoughts, what I can improve on, etc.

3. Catog

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi all!

So Telum Fatalem has gone through a few updates since its initial release, both in response to people's feedback, and to clean up some of the systems I didn't get a chance to because of the month-long time limit on IGMC, which had me rushing.

In short, some key differences is that
    - The font has changed
    - Skill names have changed
    - And the state Silence, which is a centrepiece of the gameplay in this demo and an annoying one at that, has been nerfed, going from a sealing skill to a debuff to Magic Attack. So anyone that was struggling with those owls should find their quality of life greatly improved.

I also wanted to see if I could get some feedback. So, within the demo, you play what is essentially a side-story that is included in the main game, but one that requires a bit of context.

--------
    Magiel, Drakul, and Kazz were all allies in a recent tournament called the Justpac Holy Tournament. Kazz was an initial entry, Magiel tapped in later, and Drakul stayed on the sidelines orchestrating the whole thing. Their reason for joining was to get a shot at killing the dragon that abducted their friends and families, as shown in the prologue section of the demo.

This dragon was unfortunately helped by someone called the Wielder, who is the main character of Telum Fatalem proper. Kazz managed to land a killing blow on the dragon, but it was later brought back to life by another ally of the Wielder. Later on, with the help of a mob of people, Kazz manages to capture both the Wielder and the dragon, and puts both their heads on the chopping block. They're stopped by a Guardian (a Royal Guard) who then places the dragon under arrest. Kazz attacks the Guardian, but is stopped by the Wielder's ally (the one that was powerful enough to bring Nimbus back to life). From there, it's made unclear, as how Kazz survived comes later in the story.
    --------

While this recap is available in game, if a player chooses to ignore it, this can mean that the events of the demo can be muddied. So my question is: would it be worth suffixing this game with this explanation, or should it be included as part of the game information in the download page?

Or does it need to be explained at all? Is it perhaps sufficiently explained in the demo when the player chooses that option? Would dumping all that on the player at once at the very start confuse them?

Would be very keen to hear some feedback on this.

Bye for now!

Low likes this.