Temporarily Disabling or Hiding Items

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Fangzarie, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fangzarie

Fangzarie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been looking around the forums all day to a fix for Hime's Inventory Core problems but have come up short.

So instead I've decided that just hiding or disabling the "Item" category in the main menu would have the same affect I'm looking for, however I've run into yet another problem.

There is no way to temporarily disable the items category.

It is possible to disable Save, and Menu access but not item access.

Does anyone know of a plugin or way to disallow item access temporarily?

Edit: Hime's menu command manager does not seem to work AT ALL. and Yanfly's Menu manager does not allow me to edit the menu via events.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Fangzarie It would help to know when and why you want to make items unavailable in order to come up with a solution for you.

3. Fangzarie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right.

So during my game the hero gets captured. When this happens I have a common event set up to take off all the player items, armors, and weapons and places these items back into the inventory. Screenshot 2019-06-30 20.18.24.png

While the player character is captured they will have to move around inside the jail without their items as they have been taken away until the player can "find" their pack again. Originally I was trying to use Hime's Inventory Core plugin to transfer the players items to a second inventory however that plugin conflicted with several Yanfly plugins as well as making the player unable to shop.

I decided that just hiding or disabling inventory access would have the same affect as the player would not be able to tell if their items have been taken or not because they will be unable to look at them.

There are no fights during this time so I do not need a plugin or script to disable the item menu in battle. It is a simple "sneaking" section until the player finds their items.

Hope that clears up a bit.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  4. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you download Yanfly's Main Menu Manager plugin you can bind the Item and Equip menu commands to switches, turn them on at the start of the game so they appear in the menu as normal, and then turn them off to hide them when you don't want the player to access them. Then simply turn the switches back on when you want the player to be able to access them again. Find the entries for the Item and Equip commands in the plugin parameters and change the "Show" text to "gameSwitches.value(x)", where x is the ID number of the switch that controls access to them. You can even bind both commands to the same switch to make things easier.

5. Fangzarie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright I downloaded the plugin and created a new save and switch to test out what you suggested however I keep getting this gameSwitches is undefined error? Am I maybe writing it wrong? Does it need quotation marks? Screenshot 2019-06-30 22.00.27.png Screenshot 2019-06-30 22.02.38.png

6. onipunk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry, that's my bad, I can't check my program right now but try putting a $ in front of the gameSwitches text [so it should read $gameSwitches.value(12)] , from what I remember off the top of my head that's what's in mine and it works grand. That's on me, sorry about that!

caethyril likes this.
  7. Fangzarie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, I felt like something was missing, I'm just not used to looking at Javascript code. After putting that in it worked like a charm! I didn't even have to start a new test file, though just to be safe I probably will.

This helped me out a ton and I don't have to worry about bugging plugin compatibility. Again thank you, I would have never thought to use the menu manager like that.

8. onipunk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glad to hear it worked! Sorry again about the mixup, I'm gonna put it down to giving advice at 3am maybe not being the best idea, daft mistakes are easy to make when you're knackered. Best of luck with your project!

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.