Temporary light in dark areas

SuperKorven

It's a korv. Learn to deal with it.
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi! So I'm making a horror RPG and you are in complete darkness only seeing just a little around you. I did this using Show Picture and the picture itself is a complete black .png with a small round hole where the player is in, so that you get the illusion of having limited vision. I have two versions of this. One with a small hole (let's call this A) and one with a bigger hole (B), so you have more vision around you. At the beginning of the game you have this tiny vision, and later you'll find a lantern or something so you have better vision in the dark. But I want players to be able to temporarily get better vision at the beginning of the game, so I make a new item; Matches. It's a consumable item and it's supposed to temporarily lights up your surrounding. Now the problem I'm facing now is that how I make this happen. On consumption of the Matches you're still on A, but I want it to temporarily change to B. I've tried making a common event, but no success.

Also, how do I make this effect, if possible, limited? Say it lasts 1 minute, then B goes back to A and everything is dark again.

Sorry if I have written down some useless info, I'm not so very good at explaining stuff.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm kind of a nub around here, but I'll take a stab at this. Before you try to really beat your head on a wall, take a look at Terrax Lighting to see if you can find a way to make that do what you need. If it does, then you can ignore everything else I suggest :)

With the obvious out of the way, you could have your "Match" item call a common event, swap your image from "A" to "B," remove the "Match" item, do a count up to a certain number, and finally swap the images back. Though, I really think the Terrax Lighting plugin would be more helpful!

Maybe with some luck a veteran will come along with some sage advice, and I'll learn something too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today I found out that ladybirds\ladybugs are apparently named for the Virgin Mary. They're also known as God's cows in some places.
J0pac wrote on CrowStorm's profile.
The sad reaction was not because I want you to credit me. (terms clearly say no need to credit) but because those maps are meant to be used as inspiration or guidence. You are ofcourse alowed to use them however you want :)
I'm an adult married woman

Being a hobbyist dev and also loving my job is like nothing to lose during both busy days and holidays ~ ♥

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssalum