RMMV Tenko Story (No Travel Jam Submission)

Did you enjoy this game?

• Total voters

LVGames

Welcome to Sword Swinging Super Slashers®
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Hello everyone I'm LVGames I did my best to finish the game for the No Travel Game Jam.
This is The Tale Of Tenko How He Started Sword Swinging Super Slashers®

Synopsis:

Tenko must find a way to get off the Island he got stranded in.

Game Platforms:
Game can be played on Web browser, PC and Mac, and as well as mobile.

Image/Screenshots:

Video Trailer:

Download Link/Play Game:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks fun! Glad to see that you completed a game in time for the Jam! Man, May is certainly going to be be busy with all of these games to play!

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, it sure is gonna be busy. It works on mobile too if your interested in trying it that way.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks really good. The art pops out like no tomorrow.
Unfortunately opening the link to your game loads it up and I get this screen.
Capture.PNG

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FleshToDust So far only browsers I tested that work
Firefox, Microsoft Edge

Dont work for sure:
Internet Explorer

Which browser did you use?

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LVGames I use Brave.
I don't really want to download another browser to play a game which is why I'd prefer a download to a web game.

Last edited:

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FleshToDust I agree most people would rather download. The only thing with that, I had my games being exported in other websites acting as if they created the game. That was the main reason I stop it from being downloaded. I know there is no real way to stop it, but for now this is the only solution that is works so far. I will still do my best to see other ways to make my game playable for all. Html games dont work for everyone, next step is to make this the first game I make available in the app store.

If you can do me a favor and I will take out this link as soon as you let know if this test works. I have another Html game that I made with another engine and would like to see if this game works for you. I'm trying to pin point the problem. Here is the link
Platformer Html Game Test

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doesn't work for me. I can see the screen animation but can't click it and hitting the fullscreen box on the bottom right just gives me a black screen.

Also wow... That's the default donate amount?
Capture.PNG

Gokasy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice Job man, I like the graphics..but I would like if you put "Yes" option on as default instead of "No", as it kept me from advancing to the next chapter, until I figured it out, I know..noob.

All in all I think it is interesting, after playing for a while, but I wish they could go a little faster, and that the path is more straightforward, to many bends for my taste.

All in all, well done, I like the game and keep the great work!

All the best and keep safe!

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FleshToDust Yes there is a reason I have it set that price.
Thank you for the information I will add Brave Browser to the list that html games wont work good with. That one is made with a different engine and should work instantly. The issue is Brave browser sorry for the trouble.

@Gokasy You're correct I will add that to the list to put default to yes in many situations that would be better flow to the game. Yes the game in not complete I had more ideas to put in there but I had to make the due date which was more important.

Thank you for this feedback!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Review

I thought the graphics, music and SEs worked extremely well together to make a coherent aesthetic. The graphics are simple without being simplistic, and were a big help to making the game stand out from the usual appearance of RM games. So well done on that.

For obvious reasons, it's not possible to comment much on the story (there isn't one apart from the precipitating event) or the characters (they are blank slates). I did, though, like the remark of Tenko when looking at the ship which was utterly destroyed and he comes up with the classic understatement "Our ship is damaged". The comment by the boss chicken has a typo. It reads "Your brave" and should read "You're brave".

Mapping is appropriate for the style of game, but is perhaps just a touch too winding. That isn't a problem when it is Tenko in his original form, but when he changes and the walking pace seems to slow down, it then became a bit tedious to walk around. Maybe adjust the walking speed there? I spent some minutes walking back and forth trying to get the out of order portal to work, and it wasn't until I scrolled down to see the comments on the web page that I realised that there isn't an ending yet. I think it would be helpful to players at this stage if that bit of info were more prominent. The sentence in the OP "I did my best to finish the game..." sort of implies the opposite.

Battles - great fun, but I couldn't find out how to target a specific enemy. Perhaps I can't, dunno.

Overall, a lovely little game, fun to look at, fun to play, with no pretensions to be more than it is. Well done.

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Thank you for the beautiful review. I'm happy you did overall enjoy it and I do understand it feels like there is lots missing, that's because there is. I had to make the due date and I wasn't close to being finish. I ask my self is it better to turn in something rather than nothing? I knew it was best just to go for it and just see what people think about it the way it is. I follow the rules and that is why I feel I did my best.
For the battles there are no targeting any enemies its more of a fast pace random type of battle. There is so much I wanted to add but I feel its a good start. First things I need to complete:
The ending, I had to hurry on that part, if I had completed the ending to go with the story I wouldn't made the due date.
Shops: None yet
Inn: None yet
Enemies: Working on more.
Story: I would like more of a story how the other members and the current ones began to become a team.

deficiencyproductionz

Deficiency Productionz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Review: Tenko Story

Graphics
+Impressive for the time limit
+Chaotic blocky pixelated style with bright colors. Seems self-aware of this.
+Zoom effects are charming and add to the visual chaos.
+Snappy battle animations make me feel like a ninja-wizard.
+Great battle GUI
-inconsistent resolution is too much at some parts. For example, the boat sprite, the menu, or the improperly sized credits background.

Core Gameplay
+Yes/No choices build illusion of being present in the world
+Boss wasn't a pushover. He's only weak to Earth and triple attacks
-Players cannot select specific enemies to attack (However, this makes the ninjas feel more like a team unit)
-Players might be driven to unnecessary grinding.
-The map winds back and forth too much-- it feels like a board game without the fun squares. An option to dash would be appropriate because they are ninjas.

Sound Design
+Upbeat, retro feel
+Never distracting. Consistent.

Story
-Pacing issues in chapter 1&2 (Boat is too slow-- I shouldn't have to fast forward with enter)
+Doesn't take itself too seriously (Chickens drop wood? Ninjas just join your party for no reason?)
-Unfinished. The story ends when you become the boss chicken.

Ease of Use
+Does a great job establishing mechanics without tutorials
-That being said, a reminder to save the game can be important

Overall, I would consider Tenko Story an ambitious game for the time limit. It really feels like you're controlling a /team/ of ninja-wizards.
This game caught my attention from the first screenshot. The graphics don't look like RPG maker, and that's really saying something considering the time limit. The developers show an understanding of the retro aesthetic they draw inspiration from, and expand upon it. This passion project also has some hilarious memorable moments, like the beginning of the boss chicken fight where he descends from heaven.

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@thedeanreynolds
Yes the graphics was very important. I glad you brought that up, that took lots of time each character and tiles and the battle animations were made custom. Took lots of time to make them look perfect with no errors. Thank you for noticing that :kaopride:

I'm glad you really like the zoom effect I really enjoyed doing it and I thought it would be nice for the players.
Haha yeah I guess you can call them Ninja Wizards! I didn't think about it. Each one goes with there element. I like that you like the animations for the skills. Each one took me a
good amount of time to do, I enjoy how they came out.
The battle UI is my favorite as well. The art was custom made and the plugin was made by moghunter

Yes I need to work on those I will see if I can get a custom boat made for me. The credit I didnt have time to fill it out. I will fix that thank you for letting me know.

I'm glad you like the Yes/No choice buttons.

The Boss could use work but right now that Chicken is doing work!

I made it a fast pace fight so there is no selection for enemies a random fight some like it and some dont. But I like it because its easy for anyone to get into, even if they never played a game like this before.

That is a nice idea. A dash button would seem like a nice fit!

I'm happy to hear you like the music. It was custom made for my games.

I can make the boat faster.

Well the real reason why the chickens are there is because they were place holders and then end up being the real enemy! I thought hey why not it work for now.

I really enjoyed your review your my best one I like so far. Do you think you can copy paste this review on my itch.io page? That would mean lots to me. I would like you to test my other games in the future as well if you have the time. Let me know what you think.

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All your pictures have died. Can't see any screenshots or pictures.

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@phamtruong1992 Are you sure so far its working on 3 devices I check. It could be a browser thing for you. Which browser are you using to view it?

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Played it.
Beated the Big chicken.
Liked it.
Nice job! :thumbsup-right:

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The game looks really great, and many people already told you. So I just add some things that I think you can improve or what makes me wondering..

So first, is your game actually taken place within a village or town? Well, it's a small world map, but still, is it a town? Not sure how the rules will apply here. But yeah, I don't want to discredit your submission.

The battles are fast and easy. So yes, it gives the player a nice feeling, but on the other hand, you take away a lot of control. Maybe it's because it's only stage 1 or you want your battle to be easy and accessible. I think, when you keep the animations speeds, you should give the enemies a little bit more HP so there's a not wiped within 2 turns.

Especially because the Chicken is not that easy. I played the game without leveling because I though the difficulty would stay the same, but then the Chicken killed my characters in 2 turns. I personally don't like when I'm forced to level up because one walk through the area gives not enough XP. I prefer when the walk through gives enough XP or, an alternative, when the game somehow tells me a recommended level for the boss or just a simple note that I'm probably to weak to proceed. But this is just my personal opinion.

The art design looks very well!

KV_Kingdom

Furry Potato
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Review

This game made an amazing first impression, but failed to follow through. I am disappointed, but hopeful that future patches will turn it around.

The Good
+ I *LOVE* the art style and music. It's fully custom and flashy. I initially had issues with the lack of consistency, but I think I actually like it just fine.
+ The "info" text floating above the guard, along with an explanation of what to expect, was a good touch.
+ The battle interface is fully customized and looks cool. Nothing is too hard to read or understand.
+ There are action sequences for the attacks, and they are good!
+ The characters start with a spell, which gives the player some variety while not being overwhelmed with information overload. Those skills also clearly define each character's role.
+ The transformation at the end is worth a laugh.

The Bad
- The intro is too long. You go a whole 2 chapters before you get control of the characters.
- The HUD appears during the intro, making me think I was in control, when the cutscene was actually still playing.
- The battle system is overall pretty cool, but I don't like that I don't get to choose my targets. It limits strategy possibilities. If this game were to be fleshed out more, that issue would become more prominent.
- Why ask me if I want to open the chest? Of course I want to open it! It's better to make these open on "Action Button."
- "Let's follow this path and see where it takes us." Why is this text necessary? I thought that's what we were doing...?
- "Would you like me to join your party?" After all the dialog and other story elements, this character just gets a generic intro? We don't even have to do anything to get him. No explanation about what he does, either. Happens for both new party memebers.
- A rainbow-spewing pot of gold transports you to the boss chicken. It's hilarious, but there was no indication that this is what it would do, or this was where we need to go.
- Battles are rather easy. It's fine for a game jam I guess, but there's little variety to keep me interested for long.
- Contrast this with the boss chicken fight: the chicken is absurdly powerful compared to all previous enemies, and it killed 2 of my characters even though I had leveled up from killing all of the on-screen enemies.
- "Your confident!" should be "You're confident!" or "You are confident!" or even "Buck buck buck gimme your bucks!"
- Music menu: "If you don't leave will make you!" should be "If you don't leave, we'll make you!"
- Why would I want to make a character leave the party? It's not explained.
- As funny as it is to become the boss chicken at the end, it would have been better to take the player to the credits screen after the battle to signal to the player that the game is over at this point.
- Credits roll still has default text from the plugin

This game instantly hooked me with its initial presentation, then almost as quickly lost me on the intro. I seriously almost rage quit after 2 chapters of autorun events because I was beginning to think that it was a movie disguised as a game.

This was almost my favorite game in the jam. If the actual gameplay could be polished in the same way that the overall look and sound of the game was, it could be an amazing experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I ain't dead btw, just trying to keep up with university :)
Ami
--- Anti-Bear Circle ---

F.Fighter: Shoot! that Bear is really stronger than i expected!
Hero: Don't worry,i perform this (Draw The Big Circle On The Ground)
F.Fighter: What are you doing?
Hero: It's Anti-Bear Circle. the Bear will never attacking u---
(The Bear attacking Hero F.Fighter)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainTech5150