Naveed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong section.

So I'm trying to map tent interiors in my project. The problem is, tents aren't like normal houses. I can't just map it like I would a normal house, as it wouldn't really feel like a 'tent'. But I'm really confused how to make a map look like the inside of a tent.

Here's my attempts at the basic structure of how I think it could look like. Which one of these should I use, or can anyone help me with a better structure?

A regular house, just with no walls...

With an arched up wall to make it seem like the middle is higher than the sides...

Arched up walls on both ends...

Any other suggestions would be really helpful ^_^

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Unless it is a cabin that tend to have one big room, you should split it to smaller rooms.

Your Regular House is what typically screams "this guy is new with this stuff."

Though you probably made it just as an example.

Yeah, I have seen some games doing that whole back wall thing well, but you need to be careful to get the perspective right. :)

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
They all don't look like tents^^'

If you just google you will find pretty good maps as reference, eg.

You just need a square floor area and add the triangle shaped wall in the back. The one in the front is optional, but as you can see it's useful to use a slightly see-through one if used.

You will need tent tiles to map a good-looking tent, I'd suggest you those:

Hanzo Kimura's Tent Interior (second screen)

DeathLock's XP Tent interiror (first screen)(You'd need to convert it and you must own RMXP to be allowed to use it!)

PandaMaru's Tent interior tiles

Edit

Ack, Clord was faster D:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Use a shape similar to Clord or Avery's tents: triangle wall at the back, and flat shape at the front.  Remember that the floor area of most tents is indeed a square; it's the walls that are different.  If you want to show the front wall's triangle, do it with the Shadow Pen tool, or with a transparent overlay like Avery did in his final pic.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your maps are REALLY big. Don't feel you need to use up all the space available to you. Tents are usually pretty confining - making your map small will enhance that feeling.

Naveed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the help guys!

Well, I thought of using Hanzo Kimura's Tent Interiors, but the tiles didn't match the exterior view of my tents (the orange ones from Celianna's Tiles)

So in the end I decided to parallax it instead...

The results can improve a lot more with some practise, but for the time being I can live with this...

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

And yeah, wrong section - it's really not a game mechanic - it's more a mapping thing, so perhaps if you have a question like this again you should just post in the Game & Map Screenshots thread and let people give you advice there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well... My game plays better at 1920x1080, so I guess that's the new resolution. Still runs at 60FPS. :LZSexcite: Also... I really want a boss to be able to build new maps around the player... Mostly because it's visually spectacular! I'm er... not quite sure yet how I can do that without making MV explode.... But I'll find a way, anything in service to the "sparkles"! :kaopride:
How to change your netbooks screen resolution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timiti